Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:32 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,260 Posts
Question
72mhz going away? Illegal Soon?

SO, I was interested in buying either a JR 6102FM or Futaba 6EXP radio. Really want to upgrade from my 4 channel with no custom mixing, and only 2 model memory.

It seems that just about every seller is out of stock of the JR, and some say it's discontinued. I was told by one hobby store that the 72mhz is going away soon, and will be illegal to use.

If this is so, why is that info so hard to find? I'd think that if that was true, there would be a sticky in this forum alerting us to that.

I've currently got 4 planes in flying condition, I really don't feel like dishing out $50+ four times over to put in new recievers.

So, should I ABSOLUTELY buy a 2.4ghz system? Or can I continue to use the 72 (and perhaps buy the Futaba 6EXP) for some years to come?

(please, don't tell me the 2.4 is "cool". I need facts)
7car7 is offline Find More Posts by 7car7
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:42 PM
Central Texas
Joined Jun 2008
4,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7car7
SO, I was interested in buying either a JR 6102FM or Futaba 6EXP radio. Really want to upgrade from my 4 channel with no custom mixing, and only 2 model memory.

It seems that just about every seller is out of stock of the JR, and some say it's discontinued. I was told by one hobby store that the 72mhz is going away soon, and will be illegal to use.

If this is so, why is that info so hard to find? I'd think that if that was true, there would be a sticky in this forum alerting us to that.

I've currently got 4 planes in flying condition, I really don't feel like dishing out $50+ four times over to put in new recievers.

So, should I ABSOLUTELY buy a 2.4ghz system? Or can I continue to use the 72 (and perhaps buy the Futaba 6EXP) for some years to come?

(please, don't tell me the 2.4 is "cool". I need facts)
I think you got lied to. I would never go to that hobby shop again.
ambientech is online now Find More Posts by ambientech
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:44 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,170 Posts
72 mhz is alloted to us by the FCC for model use. Unless the FCC takes it away, it's not going anywhere.
GhostRider32 is offline Find More Posts by GhostRider32
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:45 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
The FCC made no special rule change to give us 2.4 GHZ for radio control. The band was meant for wireless computer networks, but, fortunately, it happened that it could be adapted to our purposes. With that it mind, there's absolutely no reason to believe that there's any plan by the FCC to phase out 72 MHz unless we hear something official from the FCC itself. We haven't.

Beside, it's the policy of the FCC to give extremely long advance notice of any plan to make any current transmitting equipment illegal. I would expect at least 10 years notice if it ever actually happens.

Always remember that a dedicated reader of RCGroups can generally be confident that he knows more about our hobby than a typical hobby store clerk. If you haven't heard about it here yet, it probably didn't happen.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:51 PM
Joined Nov 2006
687 Posts
To me it sounds like someone is trying to sell something(the hobby store guy).
ndb8fxe is offline Find More Posts by ndb8fxe
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:12 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire
Joined Jun 2001
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chribrian
I think you got lied to. I would never go to that hobby shop again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndb8fxe
To me it sounds like someone is trying to sell something(the hobby store guy).

I agree on both points except that I know you got lied to. Now is a great time to buy a used 72 MHz radio. The prices are good and the selection is good too. I'm thinking about buying another JR 72 MHz TX and I don't even need one!
Mel Duval is offline Find More Posts by Mel Duval
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:19 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,260 Posts
Well, that is very good news. Thanks for the replies.

One thing that I forgot to mention in my original post is that I actually heard about the supposed "ban" on 72 a few months back. Something about the military wanting exclusive rights to that frequency. But I did find in my 2 hour long search on the subject a few posts here about the UK banning the 72. Perhaps that's what I (and perhaps the guy at the store) was thinking about.

So, even with all this good news, that doesn't explain why the JR is phased out. I think I'll go with the Futaba 6EXP. But I would have liked that 10 model memory.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:21 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Duval
I agree on both points except that I know you got lied to. Now is a great time to buy a used 72 MHz radio. The prices are good and the selection is good too. I'm thinking about buying another JR 72 MHz TX and I don't even need one!

What confuses me is that there are 2.4 systems that are the same or less than some of the 72's. I'm hoping it's more of a case that he was mis-informed, but who knows.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:22 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,481 Posts
72 Mhz was never legal in the UK. They use 40 Mhz.

In all fairness, the hobby shop clerk might have been carelessly repeating a rumor he heard elsewhere, but on the other hand, there's no denying that it's in the shop's best financial interest to try to spread that rumor around if they've stopped stocking 72 Mhz gear.

Horizon Hobby and JR are pushing their 2.4 Ghz gear and dropping 72 Mhz simply to stay out in front with modern technology. It's not because of any impending law against 72 Mhz.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:24 PM
Washington State
Joined Oct 2007
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike

In all fairness, the hobby shop clerk might have been carelessly repeating a rumor he heard elsewhere, but on the other hand, there's no denying that it's in the shop's best financial interest to try to spread that rumor around if they've stopped stocking 72 Mhz gear.
That's sounding pretty accurate unfortunately. He wanted to sell me a 2.4 that was about $25 less than what I called about, because he didn't have that one anymore.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:24 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Futaba brand new 10C radio was made so that it can take the FP-TP-FM modules, so 35, 40, 50, 72, and probably something I haven't listed. They still have FM/PCM in their new 12FG radio, as well as continue to sell the 9C super, and 12/14Z radios on PPM/PCM.

There is little to be concerned about at this time. As greedy as the government in the USA is, they might just decide to auction off some or all of the 72Mhz band for other uses, but we will know about it pretty quickly after it goes on the block.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:51 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7car7
That's sounding pretty accurate unfortunately. He wanted to sell me a 2.4 that was about $25 less than what I called about, because he didn't have that one anymore.
First big question .... how much money do you want to spend?

If you have the money to convert to the Spektrum 2.4 and get a couple of receivers, then that may be the best path for you. This is a very good quality radio with reasonably priced receivers.

If you want a Futaba, regardless of 72 or 2.4, make sure you understand how VERY expensive the Futaba receiver is.

By the way, your LHS is either extremely misinformed or they intentionally lied to you. I would be very cautious in dealing with them and would hunt around at different vendors and see what the prices of TX/RX are from them. I am a big fan of using the LHS, but not if they are blowing smoke, intentional or not.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Dec 30, 2008, 09:31 PM
Ubu
Michigan
Joined Jan 2008
124 Posts
My local hobby shop tried to tell me roughly the same thing. They implied that the FCC had been trying for years to reclaim 72MHz. I think these rumors get started from time to time when some entity thatís looking for prime frequency real-estate looks through the frequency allotments for an allotment they think is insignificant and they might get the FCC to reassign. The entity files a petition for the spectrum and the rumor starts.
Ubu is offline Find More Posts by Ubu
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:16 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
In this time of frequency auctions, I have not yet read of any ideas to reclaim the 72Mhz band for any other uses. You can be certain that many people will keep our ears to the ground for anything on this issue, but I think if it was going to happen the FCC would have made it know a long time ago just like all the other bands.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Dec 31, 2008, 03:25 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
Actually we use 35MHz for planes and 40MHz only for surface craft (like your 75MHz) but it's true that 72MHz has never been legal over here.

It's not impossible that 72MHz will revert to an entirely commercial band in the US at some time in the future but it will take a very long time. Same with 35MHz over here, At some point in the distant future it may well be auctioned off and modellers will lose it but not for ages.

The authorities that organise these things aren't stupid. When they know that there are many thousands of people currently legally using a band they aren't going to sell it out from under them knowing that it will in reality be unusable for anyone else simply because of all that legally bought gear in use.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick