HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:07 PM
Joined Dec 2008
10 Posts
New Product
New: The Hawkeye Flight System - OSD, attitude, map, advanced autopilot, data logging

Applied Avionics is pleased to announce the most advanced OSD, autopilot, and integrated telemetry system available, the Hawkeye.
The Hawkeye brings RC and FPV flying into the 21st century with integrated features never seen before in this class of system.

The Hawkeye features:
- IMU based synthetic horizon OSD
- Map with ground track (heading) marker
- Pitot-static system (airspeed and altitude)
- Long range FHSS radio transceiver
- 40Hz data logging capability
- Advanced autopilot with airspeed hold, climb/descend to altitude, turn-to-heading, fly to waypoint, orbit on waypoint, and failsafe.
All in a 3.5x2.7x0.8 inch package.

The Hawkeye replaces your traditional 72MHz or 2.4GHz RC gear with a more modern, more powerful, FHSS transceiver that receives pilot commands and downlinks telemetry all in one unit.

Raw, unedited videos are available in the videos section at www.appliedavionics.net
A tutorial video describing autopilot operation and other features will be available shortly.
The Hawkeye User's Manual is available for download in the downloads section.

The Hawkeye is the result of several years of development and is available NOW in limited quantities to a select number of beta testers. If you are interested in participating in this offer you may read more about it in the Hawkeye System section or email nick@appliedavionics.net directly.

nick,
Applied Avionics
AppliedAvionic is offline Find More Posts by AppliedAvionic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:49 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,047 Posts
Wow! Seems like a great system. Why 900Mhz for the OSD and link? With most RC transmitters going to 2.4 many have moved their video to 900Mhz. It's a big gulp to buy an $800 FPV system. Yet with an RC link included it seems palatable.

Ask me to replace all my video gear and the price goes up to an impossible amount. Can the onboard radios be moved to 2.4?

-Ken
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:26 PM
United States, IN, Carmel
Joined Jan 2008
2,540 Posts
Niko,

wraio alla akribo gia FPV - mallon tairiazei kalytera sto UAV crowd.

Kalh tyxh!
Dimitris
Dimitris76 is online now Find More Posts by Dimitris76
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:49 AM
Poland
Joined Sep 2004
825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76
Niko,

wraio alla akribo gia FPV - mallon tairiazei kalytera sto UAV crowd.

Kalh tyxh!
Dimitris
Exis dikio . Etzi kai ego nomizo .
remzibi is offline Find More Posts by remzibi
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:36 AM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
wow 2009 is gonna be an exciting year for FPV
pratorian is offline Find More Posts by pratorian
Old Jan 01, 2009, 12:00 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Nick,

Your user manual lists 8 servo inputs, however, the wiring diagram shows 7. Can you clarify for those of us that want to add a pan/tilt setup. Also, it looks like we can order the beta units directly from your website.

Thanks!
docphi is offline Find More Posts by docphi
Old Jan 02, 2009, 02:56 AM
Joined Dec 2008
10 Posts
Using the Hawkeye with 900MHz Video Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kist2001
Wow! Seems like a great system. Why 900Mhz for the OSD and link? With most RC transmitters going to 2.4 many have moved their video to 900Mhz. It's a big gulp to buy an $800 FPV system. Yet with an RC link included it seems palatable.

Ask me to replace all my video gear and the price goes up to an impossible amount. Can the onboard radios be moved to 2.4?

-Ken
Ken,
Like you said these radios perform a dual purpose, to send up pilot commands and downlink OSD telemetry, all in one unit. Impressive as this is they are not available in any other frequency. However, it is very likely that you can use your 900MHz video gear anyway. Simply use one of the higher channels on your video Tx so that it does not compete with the Hawkeye's transmissions on the lower part of the band. See the FAQ page for more details.

--nick
AppliedAvionic is offline Find More Posts by AppliedAvionic
Old Jan 02, 2009, 04:00 AM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,792 Posts
I would guess you are using the 900Mhz Xbee Pro XSC? 24km range and a great unit.

What an awesome system, well done guys, looking forward to it coming out of beta and I'll get one for sure, I think for what you get this is cheap, the modems alone are $75 each for the modules.
dankers is offline Find More Posts by dankers
Old Jan 02, 2009, 11:24 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppliedAvionic
Simply use one of the higher channels on your video Tx so that it does not compete with the Hawkeye's transmissions on the lower part of the band.
You seem to be forgetting that only channel 1 of most video transmitters is legal for use in the US, and sellers must supply their TXs locked to that channel. Also, serious interference has been noted in the 2.4GHz band regardless of whether the channels are overlapping or not.

That, and 900MHz isn't available to most other countries in the world, so basically your system is restricted to US customers who don't run a 900MHz video TX
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Jan 02, 2009, 04:08 PM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
That, and 900MHz isn't available to most other countries in the world, so basically your system is restricted to US customers who don't run a 900MHz video TX
If anyone is interested, Australia & I believe Israel also can use 900Mhz for the Xbee modems, however, Australia can not use 900Mhz for video (don't know about Israel).

I think legally the system is restricted to US Customers because it contains a waypoint autopilot, well, I know the Attopilot has that issue. It is also one of the reasons why the RVOSD doesn't do waypoint navigation. Not 100% sure as I have not looked in to this a great deal, only know about the Attopilot problems with overseas customers.
dankers is offline Find More Posts by dankers
Old Jan 02, 2009, 07:22 PM
It just keeps getting better!
Eureka, CA
Joined Oct 2002
1,533 Posts
I believe the waypoint feature only functions as a return to home.
It does have the ability to alter the course from the ground in flight to a point on the on-screen map. If I'm wrong and you can preprogram a set of waypoints that would make it more interesting if less exportable.
-Dave
Blue Sky is offline Find More Posts by Blue Sky
Old Jan 02, 2009, 08:59 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,962 Posts
I understand effectively it can store many waypoint so it can do a flight with severals turn without the pilot.
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Jan 02, 2009, 09:15 PM
Stupid gravity!
Trinity, FL
Joined Jul 1999
1,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docphi
Nick,

Your user manual lists 8 servo inputs, however, the wiring diagram shows 7. Can you clarify for those of us that want to add a pan/tilt setup. Also, it looks like we can order the beta units directly from your website.

Thanks!

Upon further thought, I realized the tele unit uses the trainer port. I wonder how to use a head tracker since it also uses the trainer port?
docphi is offline Find More Posts by docphi
Last edited by docphi; Jan 03, 2009 at 07:00 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2009, 09:57 PM
Joined Mar 2008
493 Posts
Can this system display LOS distance? I don't see it in the manual.
CATPart is offline Find More Posts by CATPart
Old Jan 02, 2009, 11:16 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
Hi, What kind of preformance are you getting with the stock motor??

Ive always upgraded to brushless straight away, is the easystar in stock form able to gain height without any problems with the extra weight?

How do you exactly program waypoints into the autopilot? Can it be done via the overlay in the ground station and then sent up to the uav while its in the air?

Can we have some more info on the groundstation, what kind of antennas does it use ect.

What kind of range are you getting with the 900mhz gear ? 5km ?

Regards,
Max
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU