HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:52 PM
hmmm...
Joined Sep 2008
1,370 Posts
Discussion
Difference between sensorless and non sensorless brushless motor?

what is the difference?

I heard people saying sensorless brushless motors being more fragile or prone to breaking in crashes then non sensorless brushless motors, is this true?
HeliStyle is online now Find More Posts by HeliStyle
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:47 PM
My Rhino
Southern California
Joined Oct 2007
704 Posts
Well sortof. THe reason they are more prone to breaking is the sensor cut or torn. The only difference is that the sensored ones always knows where the core is so the motor will never cog.
jjlaxdog is offline Find More Posts by jjlaxdog
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:55 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
In brushless MOTORS & ESC you have 2 different types, SENSORED & SENSORLESS. Sensored motor as a sensor to help the sensored ESC know the orientation of the motor shaft.

You can used both SENSORED & SENSORLESS motor with a SENSORLESS ESC.

But you can only use a SENSORED motor with a SENSORED ESC. When using SENSORED ESC & motor, the 3 motor to esc main wires have a VERY DISTICTIVE way to connect to each other and there is also a additional smaller tab of wires that connect both of them.

When using SENSORED motor with SENSORLESS ESC, you simply plug the 3 main motor to esc wires and leave the other smaller wires unpluged.

This is what can go wrong with a sensored motor, the sensor its self is something else that can break or malfunction.

SENSORED setup will have no COGGING of the motor, cogging is what happens when a SENSORELESS ESC is trying to findout the motor shaft orientation.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 31, 2008, 12:26 AM
washington
Joined Dec 2006
1,620 Posts
but cogging doesn't always happen on a sensorless esc
mtfly2000 is offline Find More Posts by mtfly2000
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:13 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2007
722 Posts
which is better?

I know some races don't allow sensorless setup.
carrotcake is offline Find More Posts by carrotcake
Old Jan 01, 2009, 03:32 PM
washington
Joined Dec 2006
1,620 Posts
imo sensorless is better. I'm just glad my track embraces Castle products.
mtfly2000 is offline Find More Posts by mtfly2000
Old Jan 01, 2009, 11:20 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jul 2007
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtfly2000
imo sensorless is better. I'm just glad my track embraces Castle products.
Yes, That's why I asked. I also use Castle stuff only. I am used to them and they're fairly easy to use and maintain
carrotcake is offline Find More Posts by carrotcake
Old Jan 02, 2009, 07:14 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,108 Posts
BETTER in what sense, better for you, or better in general ( specs ). A sensored system is better in that the esc knows the orientation of the shaft and start delivering power better. ( virtualy no cogging ) BUT in sensored motor, more stuff can go wrong or break.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 14, 2011, 12:22 AM
Joined Aug 2007
3 Posts
Sensorless Motors are just as good and more robust

Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
BETTER in what sense, better for you, or better in general ( specs ). A sensored system is better in that the esc knows the orientation of the shaft and start delivering power better. ( virtualy no cogging ) BUT in sensored motor, more stuff can go wrong or break.

I beg to differ here. Sensorless motor drives actually use complex Clarke and Park transforms to determine the shaft positions. These are used to START a real aircraft turbine. I don't believe they would be using them there if cogging were to really happen.

Motor drive algorithms are getting more interesting with their complexity also on the rise. Sensored motor drives have the problem of "physically locating" the sensors. Any reason the placement of the sensor goes inexact, you lose efficiency of driving the motor. Sensorless systems are advanced enough to determine to a much better resolution, the position of the shaft, which in case of a sensored one, would require multiple sensors to determine the shaft position. Moreover, the sensors are most effective when the shaft begins to turn, while their static readings can be interpreted in multiple ways. Good for small load drives. Not for large systems.

kedz is offline Find More Posts by kedz