HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:19 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5 Posts
Discussion
Super Cub or Mini Super Cub

Hi everybody,

I'm a complete newbie to the world of RC airplanes. I've spent some time with cars, but that's about it. For Christmas, my fiancee got me one of the Blitz RC Works F4 jets, but I've figured out pretty quickly that it's a bit too far advanced for my skills (from reading, not crashing thankfully!).

I've been doing some reading to find a good trainer and I'm pretty comfortable with the Super Cub, but I found the Mini Super Cub and was wondering which would be better for me. I'm thinking the Super Cub would be a better experience due to the size, but the radio on the mini seems to be more like what I'll have once I graduate to more advanced planes.

Am I completely off on my thinking or is the Super Cub still the way to go?

Thanks in advance!
98PaceCar is offline Find More Posts by 98PaceCar
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:30 PM
12 year old flyer :p
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2008
370 Posts
The radio on the MSC isn't very good. You'll be better off with the original.
Zett-Vampyre is offline Find More Posts by Zett-Vampyre
Old Dec 30, 2008, 06:57 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Bigger planes are generally easier to fly so I would get the full size. It's an excellent trainer that will teach you to fly, it's an awesome plane and you'll love it.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:11 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,934 Posts
The SC's radio is a real rc radio, just a single stick. The MSC's radio is a bit junky, but so is the SC's radio
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:25 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys! Based on what I've read and the recommendation of my local store, the Super Cub will be my trainer! Now to place the order and wait till it gets here, the hard part!
98PaceCar is offline Find More Posts by 98PaceCar
Old Jan 05, 2009, 09:34 PM
Nebraska
Joined Dec 2007
442 Posts
So your local store didn't have any in stock, and they are ordering one? Or did you decide to order it somewhere else after getting help from them?

FWIW I would suggest the full size Super Cub over the mini, too. It will handle more wind and you'll get to fly it more often. You can also see it further out.
zirconx is offline Find More Posts by zirconx
Old Jan 06, 2009, 12:32 AM
Joined Jan 2009
46 Posts
Can a on-board-camera be used with the MINI super cub?
insoc is offline Find More Posts by insoc
Old Jan 06, 2009, 12:45 AM
Joined Jan 2009
46 Posts
As I am also making a decision between the Super Cub, Mini Super Cub and the Multiplex Easy Star, what I am looking for, besides an easy to fly plane are this:

1. Not very big. I mean, I don't have a lot of space, at least not a lot of "free" space as there are some trees, poles, etc. My only experience with a r/c plane was with a very cheap and toyish X-Twin (by Silverlit) plane and the plane had a behavior on its own so it was very difficult not to hit a tree because the control was not very accurate. Is the control of the super cub and mini sc more precise?

2. My main flight area does not have any pavement road, it's all grass. This is good in one way because the plane in a "landing" will not get a big hit, but CAN YOU FLY with the super cub and the mini cub WITHOUT THE TIRES? I will start the flight with my hands (airborne like) and the expect the plane to land "softly" on the grass without the tires. Can this be done?

3. I love watching all the youtube videos with the on board cameras on the super cub. Can I use a on board camera with the mini cub?

4. Why should I choose a super cub instead of a mini super cub? What are the of the mini SC over the SC? Which is more resistant and easy to fly?

5. And last question, why should someone choose a Multiplex Easy Star instead of a Super Cub?

Thank you very much for your help!
Old Jan 06, 2009, 06:54 AM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by insoc
Can a on-board-camera be used with the MINI super cub?
I had all three planes you mention, Easy Star, Super cub, and the Mini Super Cub and for cameras the Easy Star is the leader.

All you have to do is drop down into the AP and Video Piloting threads and read its the most used platform.
http://www.rcgroups.com/video-piloting-fpv-rpv-469/
http://www.rcgroups.com/aerial-photography-128/

______
Dennis
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford
Old Jan 06, 2009, 11:16 AM
Joined Jan 2009
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34Ford
I had all three planes you mention, Easy Star, Super cub, and the Mini Super Cub and for cameras the Easy Star is the leader.
____
Dennis
That's great. As an owner of all three planes, do you think an board camera can be used on the mini super cub? With do you like the most, the Super Cub or the Mini Super Cub?
Old Jan 06, 2009, 01:04 PM
KF4IVP
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2005
2,167 Posts
The mini super cub is to underpowered out of the box for itself much less a camera on-board.

And the mini uses a rcx brick with linear servos.

The Super Cub would be better, much more room and options for modifying is endless and a TON of people here to help you.

______
Dennis
34Ford is offline Find More Posts by 34Ford