HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Mr.Pibb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:27 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
I set up a page on my store for your order, but don't order it just yet. I need to update it with the video splitter and recording device.

Let me look more in to the recording device issue. I found a comment here that says that camera doesn't like video drop outs, which will happen with wireless video. There are others that can handle it but I want to do a little research before I recommend one. Maybe you could look around a little too if you have a chance.
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:09 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
OK, a few options here:

You could do the Aiptek MPVR that is known to handle video dropouts OK. It's not high def if you want to actually use it as a camcorder, but it would work in this situation. You would need to buy the video splitter in this case. I did see someone mention that when using a video amplifier/splitter that they didn't get dropouts on the A-HD+, but I don't know that I trust that before testing it out myself. It sounds like you can still see the video, it just stops recording otherwise, so that's still an option.

You could do this pvr which does not have a screen, but you also wouldn't need a video splitter since it passes the video through and an SD card or mini hard drive.. You could also get an external video screen for backup viewing if there's problems with the goggles, but then you'd need the video splitter.

I'm sure there are other options, but those seem to be some of the better ones.

Let me know which way you want to go and I'll adjust the price.

Tim
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:38 AM
Wing Nutz Member
Pennsboro, WV
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
I don't know what to do. I am researching now. I looked at the Mustek PVR-H140 Personal Media Center but not sure if that would work. Looked at the PV-500 and it is a bit pricey and the screen is so small. Would like to have at least a 3.5" screen so that someone else could enjoy the video. Still looking.
jhall2242 is offline Find More Posts by jhall2242
Old Jan 23, 2009, 10:48 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
Most MiniDV camcorders and many DVD camcorders will work as well. That's what I'm using right now as my second screen and recorder.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2009, 01:31 PM
Wing Nutz Member
Pennsboro, WV
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
I like the looks of this one for around $300 with a 7" screen and 40gig of storage. Don't know if a video drop-out would cause a problem with the recorder though.
http://www.nextar.com/images/doc/MC3007.pdf Take a look and tell me what you think. BTW at this point I am pretty sure I will just buy one of these myself and not let it hold things up anymore.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 03:16 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall2242
I like the looks of this one for around $300 with a 7" screen and 40gig of storage. Don't know if a video drop-out would cause a problem with the recorder though.
http://www.nextar.com/images/doc/MC3007.pdf Take a look and tell me what you think. BTW at this point I am pretty sure I will just buy one of these myself and not let it hold things up anymore.
I don't know anything about that one. If it doesn't stop recording when the signal drops out then I think it will be great. I can include a "cigarette lighter" adapter to plug it in to.

Do you still want the video splitter? I'm not sure if the mc3007 passes the signal through to its video output.

Tim
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 23, 2009, 08:16 PM
Wing Nutz Member
Pennsboro, WV
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
OK. I don't know what hard drive recorder I will use and therefore don't know if I need a splitter either. With that said, I guess the FPV complete system as you show on your storefront is ready for me to purchase. From what I can see it has everything I want to start with. So let's get the ball rolling. I think $1495 is fair especially for the knowledge and skill it takes to put this all together. I appreciate that. I also would like to setup an eventual maiden flight with you, which we can work out later. I would really appreciate that. Let me know how to proceed with the transfer of some funds.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 09:13 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
Ok, sounds good. The splitter can easily be purchased later if you need it.

Just go ahead and add it to your cart and follow the instructions. You can checkout using Paypal. From the way I understand it (I've never actually gone through the process!), if you don't happen to have a Paypal account you can just use a credit card. Once I get the injection of funds into my Paypal account I can go ahead and order all the equipment. It's all in stock so I should get it quickly and it will be ready for me to work on while I'm working on the current builds in progress.

I was thinking we could meet at the club near me

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...06952&t=h&z=18

It looks like you're part of an AMA club so no problem with you flying here. Like you said, we can work that out when things are close to being finished. Weather will be the toughest thing to deal with.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks,
Tim
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 24, 2009, 08:52 AM
Wing Nutz Member
Pennsboro, WV
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
Tim - I just sent payment via your website. It hurt to click that last button a little, but I got over it. Keep me updated periodically. I actually have a Lifetime membership to AMA so I am covered there. Also I am an officer in our club.
Can't wait to try her out. Hopefully we will have some decent weather next month.

Jason
Old Jan 24, 2009, 08:37 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
Got it Jason!

I'll keep you updated on progress.

The funny thing is that I haven't flown in probably over a month! My FPV plane was put out of commission on Thanksgiving and I haven't been able to rebuild it yet because of the ones I'm building to sell! I have a few other planes to fly, but the weather hasn't been too good for those...

Anyway, thanks for the order. I'm excited to get it all together for you.

Tim
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2009, 09:40 AM
Wing Nutz Member
Pennsboro, WV
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
Tim - I wanted to make a request. I would like to, at some point down the road, use the video equipment out of the Easy Star in other aircraft (maybe a heli). Where possible try to make the equipment easily removable so that I can do that. I was not sure if that was possible to some degree. Anyways, thanks again. Did any of the items arrive yet? Just curious.
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:20 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
I'll see what I can come up with. The pan module is removable, I just need to make the video TX removable.

The plane is pretty far along. I'm waiting for servos to arrive to finish the current three builds I have in progress. I'm also still waiting for the laser cut parts to arrive for the pod. The equipment from NGHobbies is somewhere between there and here. Canadapost says it's in the US, the USPS just says they're waiting for it.

Tim
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2009, 11:42 AM
Wing Nutz Member
Pennsboro, WV
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
Bought one of these which will record to one of these .

Found the Acer Aspire at Officeddepot.com for $350. This might work or it might not. I wanted to give it a shot, and if it does not I can use the items for other uses very easily. I grabbed the idea from another forum. We will see. Once I test it out, I will need to find the right cable connectors and a splitter.