Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Mr.Pibb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:48 AM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
Discussion
New Store

FPV equipment, check out my new store.

www.readymaderc.com

Note that I no longer make the pre-built Easy Stars that are mentioned below, but I carry a lot of "ReadyMade" FPV kits!
Mr.Pibb is offline Find More Posts by Mr.Pibb
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Mr.Pibb; Dec 31, 2010 at 12:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:16 AM
piro-maniac........
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Dec 2007
4,137 Posts
very nice. I like the little camera pod thingy.
GunnyGlow is offline Find More Posts by GunnyGlow
Old Jan 19, 2009, 06:55 PM
Wing Nutz Member
Pennsboro, WV
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
Mr. Pibb -
I am interested in getting setup with a complete FPV Easy Star. I have researched it to death and I was about to start ordering stuff until I ran across your threads on RCGroups. There are several FPV systems out there with different cameras, frequencies, transmitters, and setups. I want to be able to fly as far as possible and have good video. I would like a set of goggles and the ability to save the flights on a hard drive. I would like a 1000 watt transmitter if possible. Also want a way to find it in case I crash somewhere; maybe GPS? Would like an altimeter and voltmeter viewable when I fly. I would love to have your help. Thanks.

Jason - Pennsboro, WV
jhall2242 is offline Find More Posts by jhall2242
Old Jan 19, 2009, 09:50 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
Jason,

A few questions for you before I dig in to answer:

What equipment do you have already for RC flying? How much experience do you have already with RC flying?

Tim
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:20 PM
Wing Nutz Member
Pennsboro, WV
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
I fly airplanes and helis. Helis: Raptor 50 nitro and a Trex 450 electric. Airplaines: no electrics but I fly several nitro and gas planes ranging from a .40 size trainer to a 50cc gas Ultimate biplane. I actually have been using my Raptor 50 nitro with a digital camera pod to take pictures. A few old pics can be seen at our club website at http://www.flyingwingnutz.org/Album/...c/2006Misc.htm

I have a Futaba 9CHP with 72mhz and 2.4gig modules. Also have lipo charging equipment. Other than that I have nothing to start the Easy Star project yet.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 09:31 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
Alright, I've finally had some time to sit down and think about what you're looking for. Here's my take on it. You may be able to find other differing opinions, but this is based on what I'm using myself and what appears to be working quite well. Even though you have an option to use 72mHz, the possibility of RF interference affecting a 2.4GHz video system especially when flying long range has me concerned. I think I'd stick with 900mHz video. I just looked and unfortunately the Futaba 2.4GHz modules don't appear to allow you to switch out your antenna, so I think your range may be limited to a mile or less. You could push that further with an auto pilot system.

A big question for you is probably "how much money do you want to spend on this?". You are looking for a lot of features, and to get all of them all at one time is going to be pricey.

I'm not sure if you're just looking for advice, or if you're interested in purchasing a fully assembled and ready to fly system. I'm willing to help you out either way.

If I were building somthing like what you're looking for right now, I probably go with:

500mW 900MHz TX
2x 900MHz RX
Oracle video diversity
DPCAV OSD camera
2dbi whip antenna on TX and one RX
8dbi patch antenna on one RX
Goggles
TrackR2
Dragon OSD or Eagle Tree OSD (once the new Eagle Tree system is out I'd go with that one, and it's only a $20 upgrade)
Pan/Tilt Module
Brushless Easy Star
Hard drive recorder (or a minidv or digital8 camcorder or mini camcorder with AV inputs?)

You'd also need batteries for your video system, and other things like maybe a tripod for holding antennas on the ground. Everything I just listed there puts you close to $2000 in equipment. Scared yet?

Now, if you want to start more slowly, you could drop a few items and add them later such as the diversity system, second receiver, aftermarket antennas, head tracker, OSD, and goggles (as long as you have some other screen to view).

Are you looking to put all this together yourself, or are you hoping to purchase a fully ready to fly system? If you are seriously considering purchasing a full system I'd be happy to put a quote together for you.

I'll stop there for now and let that soak in. Let me know what questions you have or feedback you have on my opinions.

Tim
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2009, 11:29 AM
Wing Nutz Member
Pennsboro, WV
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
Alright, now you are really getting me excited. Man, I appreciate the knowledge you have on this. I have no problem with the price of the items you showed. My only reservation is that I want to make sure that I enjoy FPV flying enough to drop dollars on non-essential items. Here are items I know I want to start with from your suggestions:

500mW 900MHz TX
1x 900MHz RX
DPCAV OSD camera
2dbi whip antenna on TX and one RX
8dbi patch antenna on one RX
Goggles
Eagle Tree OSD
Pan/Tilt Module
Brushless Easy Star
Need batteries, but don't know what to buy yet.
Tripod

Oracle video diversity
- Would like to add this later

TrackR2
- Would like to add this later

Hard drive recorder
- I have a new Sony digital camcorder that would probably work.

I would like your help building the ship. I can buy the items and send them to you or whatever might work the best. I live about 2.5 hrs from Columbus as well. Let me know what you would like to do and when you would like to get started.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:35 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
Since I have a working relationship with Zoltan at NGHobbies I think the best thing to do is for me to buy everything and put it together. That way, if something is wrong with anything it's easier for me to deal with him directly. It won't cost you any more (actually less since you won't need to ship things to me after you get them).

Let me sit down in the next day or so and get all the prices together for what you want and I'll make sure everything is included.

Right now there are two Easy Star builds in front of you, so it will be a couple weeks before I really dig in to building yours. I think I can have it done by mid February.

Once I get all the prices together and figure out how long it will take me to put it all together, I'll set up a "custom" order on my web page for you to purchase.

Make sure yokur Sony camcorder has A/V inputs. Most new ones don't for some reason. I've heard of some people using an Aiptek mini camcorder.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2009, 06:14 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
Complete System

OK, here's a quote for a complete FPV system.

It includes:

EasyStar w/brushless upgrade and ailerons and a cutout under the fuselage for your RX.
FPV pod w/180 degree rotation
3s 2200mAh Flight battery
2x 3s 610mAh video battery (one for ground station, one for plane)
UBEC
Programming card for ESC
1/2 wave dipole antenna for TX
8db patch antenna for RX
900mHz 500mw TX
900mHz RX
DPC 480A OSD Camera (NTSC)
EVG920 Video Goggles
Eagle Tree OSD with 100A ELogger and GPS
connectors from OSD/E-logger for your RX
Tripod for ground antenna
All required connectors for batteries and video.
Metal case for ground gear (like a TX case)
Everything hooked up and ready to go shipped to your location (or if you pick it up I can work with you to maiden it at the field near my house).

The only thing you'll need is a recording device, a Futaba 2.4GHz RX and your radio. You said you have a charger already, make sure it has balance connectors for this style balance connectors.

Total Price: $1495.00

Let me know if that sounds OK and I'll put a listing on my web page so you can order it.

Thanks!
Tim
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Mr.Pibb; Jan 22, 2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 06:54 PM
Wing Nutz Member
Pennsboro, WV
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
OK. Let me know when you get the information together. February is no problem at all. BTW my Sony DCR-DVD810 does not have video inputs. You are right. I will have to buy something like you suggested.

Jason
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:00 PM
Wing Nutz Member
Pennsboro, WV
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
Sorry for the last post. I was interrupted and didn't refresh the screen before I hit the post button. I am reading it now.
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:19 PM
Wing Nutz Member
Pennsboro, WV
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
Thanks for putting that together so quickly. Couple questions..

- With the batteries you suggested, how long can I expect to fly normally? Would like to have at least 30min of flight time.

- With this setup how far can I expect to fly under normal conditions? Now
that I read the earlier post, I believe you are saying that I may only get a 1 mile range. If so, can I improve that somehow?

- I am not sure if I understand your earlier response to my radio. I can fly with my Futaba 9CHP 72mhz or I can pop in a 2.4gig module in and fly with 2.4gig. Which would be better?

- I can balance charge those batteries. Have a Triton with Equinox balancer.

Thanks,

Jason
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:24 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
I need to double check to make sure it records even when there's static (some of these don't), but I know I've heard this is a good camera otherwise. I can buy it and just charge you the price listed + shippping...I may want to get one myself anyway.

One thing I just thought of: Since you aren't getting an Oracle now you won't have a way to have two video outputs on the ground. You'd have to get a video splitter, the oracle, or a second receiver now to have two video outputs. We can just add the price of whichever item you want to the price I quoted.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2009, 07:33 PM
Lewis Center, OH
Joined Jun 2006
2,274 Posts
With the same battery I get over an hour on the plane. I don't use that battery on the ground, but I would expect an hour for that as well.

I guess I don't know much about the 72mhz range, but from everything I've heard you can't get much more than 1 mile. I went 1.2 miles with my Spektrum system before I started running in to problems. I think I've heard similar results with Futaba 2.4GHz systems. The video isn't the weak link here, it the RC range. I honestly don't know which one is better, but I'd avoid 2.4GHz VIDEO just because you can get interference from other 2.4GHz radios if they're around your ground station. You can choose if you want to use a 2.4GHz RC receiver or 72 mhz, but I didn't include either in my quote since I don't have a futaba radio to test either one. I'd be happy to install one for you, but I can't test it.

Also, this OSD does NOT have a return to home feature. The fairly soon to be available $20 upgrade is supposed to have that feature, so I wouldn't push the range until you have the upgraded osd that can *hopefully* save you in the event of a total loss of signal.

I know there are long range radio solutions being tested, but they are pretty pricey and you may want to get some practice with some "short" range flights for a while. Usually when I fly I'm within a 1/2 mile of my launch site.

Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall2242
Thanks for putting that together so quickly. Couple questions..

- With the batteries you suggested, how long can I expect to fly normally? Would like to have at least 30min of flight time.

- With this setup how far can I expect to fly under normal conditions? Now
that I read the earlier post, I believe you are saying that I may only get a 1 mile range. If so, can I improve that somehow?

- I am not sure if I understand your earlier response to my radio. I can fly with my Futaba 9CHP 72mhz or I can pop in a 2.4gig module in and fly with 2.4gig. Which would be better?

- I can balance charge those batteries. Have a Triton with Equinox balancer.

Thanks,

Jason
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2009, 09:04 PM
Wing Nutz Member
Pennsboro, WV
Joined Sep 2005
24 Posts
1 hour on batteries would be great. That would work fine.

The camcorder you suggested looks like a good deal for me. Let me know if you can find out about interference issues. I have a 4gig SD card spare that I can use for it.

I believe a video splitter would work for me, unless you think otherwise. I would like to add that in.

I read this thread and learned a little bit of info on 2.4gig vs 72mhz. From the FPV pilot's point of view it seems better to use 72mhz. I can easily do that. I have a spare one now. If you get time read through it and see if you agree.

Jason