United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Discussion
MaxfordUSA Hughes H-1 EP Racer

Guys,

What do you think:

http://www.maxfordusa.com/hughesh-1racerep40arf.aspx

I'm struggling not to purchase one Sure would be a nice compliment to the Maxford Gee Bee Y!
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2008, 11:14 AM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
Go for it!! You only live once!!!
Skyshark is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark
Old Jan 09, 2009, 10:53 AM
USA, Texas Hill Country
Joined May 2008
1,938 Posts
Hi Ronin - Just curious if you ordered the H-1.....if so what's your impression? I've got the Jim Young short kit but have not built it it yet. I'd rather have something larger maybe closer to a 1/8 scale.

Cheers
capteasy is online now Find More Posts by capteasy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-flite hawker Hurricane 25E
Old Jan 10, 2009, 10:15 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Not yet. My Uncle lives in Southern California and I've asked him to see if he can get a deal on one at the AMA show from their booth for me. If not then I may try hitting them up at the Toledo show if I go this year. Failing that I think it'll be a mid year purchase for me. A couple of other planes caught my eye and pre-ate my tax return
Old Jan 12, 2009, 12:06 AM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Well... My Uncle has come through and purchased one for a pretty decent deal. I should have my hands on it in the next couple of weeks and will try to turn this thread into a build thread I'm excited and looking forward to having this golden age racer built for spring!!!
Old Jan 31, 2009, 04:55 AM
We Stand On Our Tailwheel
USA, FL, Inverness
Joined Apr 2006
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin4740
Well... My Uncle has come through and purchased one for a pretty decent deal. I should have my hands on it in the next couple of weeks and will try to turn this thread into a build thread I'm excited and looking forward to having this golden age racer built for spring!!!
ronin did you get the H-1 yet
grumpy trol is offline Find More Posts by grumpy trol
Old Feb 03, 2009, 07:51 PM
Central PA
Joined Dec 2005
1,496 Posts
I'd like to hear a report on this on too...
TommyB is offline Find More Posts by TommyB
Old Feb 06, 2009, 07:14 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2009
553 Posts
Got one, today, at the NW Expo, with retracts: BEAUTIFUL!
hymyankel is offline Find More Posts by hymyankel
Old Feb 08, 2009, 10:42 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Whoops, sorry, have been neglecting this thread it seems. Mines all put together, I just need to CG it and will go and fly.

For anyone else who's interested in one of these, the retracts that Maxford sells for $30.00 are the same as the Great Planes .10 size ones that Tower Hobbies sells for considerably less.

Retract tip: When bending the legs error on long rather than short. You can adjust the retract mount on the wing so if you go long you can slide them outwards a little bit. Maxford's recommendation is right on the edge of too short.

Also the retract linkage was a major pain in the &$% to get installed. I ended up using EZ connectors on the servos but I'm still not completely satisfied with the job and wonder if they'll work properly in flight. When you get to that part of the build you'll see what I mean.

The rest of the build was pretty straight forward. No real suprises along the way.

I've got photos of the build as well, just need to get off my lazy *^( and post them
Last edited by ronin4740; Feb 08, 2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2009, 11:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2009
553 Posts
Yikes! And, the retracts sold me!

WHAT MOTOR did you use?

Surely not the one from Uranus!

How many servos are required for the retracts? (Just one, right?)
Last edited by hymyankel; Feb 08, 2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2009, 09:46 AM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
One servo for the retracts. I'd highly suggest that you use a Hitec HS-82MG or something with a lot of torque that's the same size as you're NOT going to get a larger servo into that area without quite a bit of wing modification.

I currently have a KDA motor in the nose which is similar to the Uranus motor that Maxford recommends for the Gee Bee and this plane. After flying my second Gee Bee with this motor the KDA will be coming out and a Turnigy motor will be going in. Both the Gee Bee and the H1 need more prop than these little motors can turn in my opinion.

While my first Gee Bee flew much better with a larger motor (a Turnigy 35-36B if I remember correctly) it added enough weight to the nose that I ended up adding lead to the tail to get the plane to balance. Also the heavier motor and lead in the tail added enough weight that landings were pretty hot. If I didn't land gently the plane would bounce or nose over on landings... Ruined a couple of sets of wheel pants as a result.

The new Gee Bee and the H1 have different battery compartments and I think I can hang a bigger motor off the nose and slide the battery back to get CG. I'll fiddle with doing this tonight as well as a couple of other minor tweaks, take some photos and get ready to maiden on the next calm, dry day

Sorry for not mentioning the retract pricing earlier... As I said, I kind of lost track of this thread as I've been building planes over the past two weeks. I've managed to assemble three with two more in the build queue
Last edited by ronin4740; Feb 09, 2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2009, 09:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2009
553 Posts
How many watts do you recommend?

The Uranus is spec'd at 2 ounces and 277 watts, which is not credible.
Old Feb 09, 2009, 09:56 AM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Hmmm... well, I've been lazy so I haven't gotten around to weighing the plane. My memory says that the first Gee Bee I had with the larger motor was producing about 400 watts of input power to the motor. It few VERY nicely at that power level. I'll weigh the H1 tonight but I'm going to guess that you're going to want 350 or so watts for good performance.
Old Feb 09, 2009, 10:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2009
553 Posts
That's going to cause problems with the motor mount and cowling, I think.

I certainly don't believe the Uranus can produce 277 watts!

I have not begun construction, yet, but I have read the instructions several times and I suggest this be done by anyone, and that the color illustrations be viewed on the site: so far, I've discovered that the manual refers to a prehinged rudder, with a preinstalled control rod, and this is NOT the case, and one must remove the fuse section, beneath the empenage, before beginning any work there (it is held in place by magnets and looks so "good" that you must force yourself to pull it off!).

Using a motor of 350/400 watts may present problems (length).
Last edited by hymyankel; Feb 09, 2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2009, 10:59 AM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Lemme put the original Gee Bee's motor on the Watt meter and give you some accurate numbers.