Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 29, 2008, 02:44 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
301 Posts
Build Log
Scratch 42' Corvette

Hi All Could not wait til after the first of the year to start cutting wood and spreading glue. Just the begiining of a lengthy build but looking forward to it.
Doug
tinknocker is offline Find More Posts by tinknocker
Last edited by tinknocker; Jan 05, 2009 at 08:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2008, 02:53 PM
Joined Jun 2007
76 Posts
Hi Doug

Looking forward to your build and pictures don't keep us waiting to long.

Bob
b willow is offline Find More Posts by b willow
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:28 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,493 Posts
Doug,
Have fun with the build, and keep the photos coming.
Steve
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:16 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Off to a good start there, Doug. Right where the forward keel curves up into the stem piece is where I've got major damage - apparently gnawed by rodents who took up housekeeping in the bow, prior to my purchase. A major rebuild is called for sometime later.
jeepers1940 is offline Find More Posts by jeepers1940
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:52 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
301 Posts
Jeepers Sorry to hear about the rodent damage. They can be a real destructive force. In the sixties I built a Sterling Missouri when I got out of the Navy. Three years ago I was given another Missouri that a family member started and lost interest in, complete with a rodent family in residence. The aft section was their pantry while the bow was their living quarters. I learned that they have no respect for discontuned irreplacable model boats. Ha! Good luck with your repair. Keep me posted. Thanks
Doug
Old Dec 30, 2008, 09:13 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Doug, I'm glad to hear that you wound up with a Sterling Missouri model after all. You can do it justice if anyone can.
I do have plans for my Corvette model. I guess you could say that there was some good news with it. Because of the damage done to it that was adequately pictured in the eBay ad, it was relatively inexpensive to purchase, and even came with a fair amount of the metal fittings that go with it. A later fortuitous eBay purchase of a partial fittings set gave me most of the required pieces.
When I finally get around to working on it, it might make an interesting build thread. Our friend Pete in Florida has one of these unstarted kits that he has said he might build someday. I just might have some, uh, alternative plans for my model, in view of the extensive work that it will require to get it operational.
Whatever, they make most impressive models in or out of the water, and readily lend themselves to lighting and superdetailing options. Best of luck with yours and thanks for sharing your progress with us.
Bill
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:58 AM
Maltese sparrow
Leicester, UK
Joined Oct 2004
536 Posts
42 foot corvette - now THIS we must see!

Happy new year!

andrew
andrewhalst is offline Find More Posts by andrewhalst
Old Feb 01, 2009, 04:42 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
301 Posts
Hi Guys, Thought I would post some pictures because there is some progress. Even being retired I am a slow builder compared to some of you guys. What doesn't get done today, Mannyana. The hardest part of this stage was trying to keep the frame from twisting. So far it doesn't look too bad. It is easier building upside down on a board, but this is the way the original was done so why not go with it. Hope you enjoy the progress.
Doug
Old Feb 01, 2009, 05:25 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,726 Posts
DOUG- Great build so far. You are right about building the hull upside down being the best way to keep thing straight., so all the frame feet are glued down to the building board. If I remember correctly, Sterling Models used the floor boards to keep the frames a lined in the building process. I know that I wound up making hatches in the floor boards, just like the full sized version, to gain access to the bilge forward were I have some of my electronics.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Feb 23, 2009, 12:44 AM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Doug, I have taken the liberty of making copies of some of your pics of your Corvette frames. It will help me to know what to expect in the way of framing when I cut into my damaged Corvette hull to begin making repairs.
Any progress on your 'vette to share?
Old Feb 23, 2009, 03:47 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
301 Posts
Jeepers, You must be reading my mind or you have my shop bugged or something. I just took pictures a few minutes ago and am getting ready to post them. There is no problem using my pictures. I am very happy that they can help you. If you feel that you need other pics, let me know and I will try to get the shots you need. Thanks. Doug
Last edited by tinknocker; Feb 23, 2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 04:58 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,612 Posts
Are those 700 sized motors? What are the specs.? Excellent craftsmanship.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:30 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
301 Posts
Pete This motor is two and half inches long inch and a half dia. Runs 12,000 rpm at 6 volts 2 amps. I don't know how that compares to the 700 motors. Hope that helps. Doug
Old Feb 23, 2009, 08:59 PM
Madison, MS
Joined Oct 2004
2,453 Posts
Doug, Will your props turn in the same direction or will you have them rotating in opposite directions in order to cancel out torque? Nice work, thanks again for sharing it with us.
Bill
Old Feb 23, 2009, 09:10 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
301 Posts
Bill Yes the props will be counter rotating. I have had good results with the props rotating to the outside. Doug