SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 29, 2008, 04:57 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Discussion
Sony 520 TVL Bullet Cam - FPV setups, videos & mods

So Id like to dedicate this thread to the sony bullet cams. Here are my specs in particular...

SONY KPC-HD353CW
Sony 1/3 High Resolution Super HAD CCD
Viewable 520TV Lines of True Color.
Digital Zoom Lens at 1x-3x.
Varifocal Lens - 2.6 - 5.6mm
Low Light Sensitivity - 1 Lux Max Day and Night
Gamma Correction - 0.45
Control Zoom Lens with RS-485 Connection.

Seeing as I havent even gotten it in the mail yet, i was curious If anyone else has this cam, how they have set up pan/tilt & what kind of video we can expect? Has anyone tried using the polarized lenses from 3d glasses on the lense to enhance color and eliminate glare?
EyeFlyPlanes is offline Find More Posts by EyeFlyPlanes
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:15 AM
OpenPilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
1,792 Posts
I have not used that specific cam but I know the sensor in it is a good one and there are quite a few videos around from people using it as a helmet cam for mountain biking and it looks nice. It was the weight that put me off the bullet type cams in general.
dankers is offline Find More Posts by dankers
Old Dec 29, 2008, 08:47 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
I've had one of those with the wired remote. Was going to hack the remote and have a atmel33 chip operate the controls. Anyhow the weight of this was ok on my Twinstar but surly not ideal for an Easy Star. The over all colors was nice as the resolution but the AGC was not what I expected for FPV. Which is why I ended giving up on this camera at the end.
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:12 PM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
I worked for a while with a trackday company that used to mount these on cars & bikes. The pictures were great and the FOV can be changed with different lenses but they do not deal with changing light levels very well, and in some cases will go to 'whiteout' and take quite a few seconds to come back.

I did run one on an Easystar for a while about 2 years ago (pan only), it was fine as long as it was pointing downwards at a fair angle.

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Dec 29, 2008, 06:54 PM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
hahaha what the hell did i just buy?!?!
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:02 PM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeFlyPlanes
hahaha what the hell did i just buy?!?!
A very good water proof security camera That's what happened to mine. You never know these things until you try them.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:14 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,905 Posts
It's not that bad

When doing trackday work I only ever observed the lengthy 'white out' myself on long straights when the camera was into the sun - for FPV use the camera was OK, certainly not significantly worse than the KX171 that I now use. Image quality (when recorded directly down to MiniDV) was excellent.

Apologies for the photo quality, these are from a while back. Servo was slaved to rudder channel at first (looking into the corner) but I soon switched over to a seperate channel.

This got me into FPV but I found it very hard not to lose orientation - I added a simple Copilot wing-leveller (which helped) but decided to wait until I could afford an OSD with GPS.

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:27 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,436 Posts
See RC Don SailCam project for a typical usage of such camera in an EG tuned for FPV.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Dec 31, 2008, 10:46 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Yes Don did a GREAT JOB with his but his camera is a much lower resolution therefore the camera maybe a bit different there. But like you said and I agree, it was a typical usage or proven orientation of this camera on his EZ Glider. One of the finest video I have seen and this was done a few years ago too!
Old Jan 02, 2009, 01:43 AM
So Cal FPV Aviator
USA, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Feb 2008
3,575 Posts
Where can i get a co-pilot wing leveler?
Old Jan 02, 2009, 05:32 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,436 Posts
http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?item=1489&section=1
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa