Old Dec 29, 2008, 03:01 AM
http://www.aircraft-world
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Discussion
Hyperion's New Emeter II & RDU

Hello All,

This thread is dedicated to the new Hyperion Emeter II with RDU (Remote Data Unit). I'll try to keep track of the many suggestions we expect to receive, and list them here (in this first post) with resolutions from time to time. I will also post other important information here, such as when new firmware/file packages are available, so you don't have to wade through a long thread looking for news.

We expect the Emeter II, RDU, and accessories to begin shipping to dealers on about Jan 18th 2009, so it should be in shops between the 20th and 30th depending on location.

HERE IS THE DATA SHEET which contains pictures, descriptions, and links to manuals.

Enjoy!

David

On Jan 15 2009 the first Public release of Emeter & RDU PC Software Suite is now available here (near bottom of page)

On February 9 2009 v2.09 Firmware was released. See details near end of v2.09 QuickGuide here. Extended Manual was also updated to v2.09, DL from EM2 page, here.
NipponDave is offline Find More Posts by NipponDave
Last edited by NipponDave; Feb 14, 2009 at 03:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2008, 10:13 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,691 Posts
Yea! Can't wait to start reading through all of this...

...and saving a lot of money to pay for it!
yarsmythejr is offline Find More Posts by yarsmythejr
Old Dec 29, 2008, 02:28 PM
Joined Mar 2007
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NipponDave
Hello All,

We expect the Emeter II, RDU, and accessories to begin shipping to dealers on about Jan 18th 2009, so it should be in shops between the 20th and 30th depending on location.

David

Please keep me up to date on availability of Emeter II. RDU etc.

Thanks,
simibill is offline Find More Posts by simibill
Old Dec 29, 2008, 05:18 PM
All electric, all the time!
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
Thanks David! We have been anticipating this one!

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
QuietRCFly is offline Find More Posts by QuietRCFly
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:08 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
Looks promising. I downloaded and read through the datasheet. A couple of questions came to mind:

1) Will it log current passing in either direction through the RDU or can measurements only be taken with current flowing from the Input terminal to the Load terminal ?

2) There is mention of Min/Max Volts, but no Avg, Max Current, but no Min or Avg and Max RPM, but no Min or Avg. Will Min/Max/Avg be available for all measurements (Volts, Amps, Watts, Height, Temp1/2/3) ?
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Dec 30, 2008, 07:56 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly
1) Will it log current passing in either direction through the RDU or can measurements only be taken with current flowing from the Input terminal to the Load terminal ?

2) There is mention of Min/Max Volts, but no Avg, Max Current, but no Min or Avg and Max RPM, but no Min or Avg. Will Min/Max/Avg be available for all measurements (Volts, Amps, Watts, Height, Temp1/2/3) ?
1) "INPUT" and "LOAD" are somewhat misleading labels, I suppose. But then "Batt" and "load" have drawbacks too... Anyhoo, say a battery is connected to INPUT and a charger to LOAD; then yes the RDU will log the results no matter if charging the battery, or discharging.

2) Min/Max/Avg are never logged themselves. They are simply interesting points we identify in the data stream (or calculate, for AVG). But, yes, the Emeter and PC software both have the ability to find and display Min/Max/Avg data (and more, such as battery internal resistance, and even power system efficiency and prop thrust while bench testing, if the prop is in our database on Emeter SD card and selected, etc...).

Cheers,

David
Last edited by NipponDave; Dec 30, 2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:29 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,405 Posts
Great, thanks
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:08 PM
All electric, all the time!
USA, WA, Bellevue
Joined Aug 2005
1,430 Posts
David,

Is there a way to get at the watt meter functions without purchasing the RDU? Seems like an expensive proposition for someone who just wants a simple watt meter. Or will you have a separate unit for something like that?

Chris

Quiet RC Flying
www.quietrcflying.com
QuietRCFly is offline Find More Posts by QuietRCFly
Old Dec 31, 2008, 07:52 AM
American in Japan
Joined Mar 2001
2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietRCFly
David,
Is there a way to get at the watt meter functions without purchasing the RDU? Seems like an expensive proposition for someone who just wants a simple watt meter. Or will you have a separate unit for something like that?
Chris
www.quietrcflying.com
Yes, I know what you mean... The EmeterII/RDU was designed to be the most sophisticated, compact, and portable solution for Remote and Bench logging of a large variety of data, as well as a driver and configurator for a wide variety of hardware (we'll be adding more and more programming capabilities, and data inputs, too).

2 years of design, many prototypes, and what seemed like endless samples and tests resulted in exactly what we wanted. But the investment in time, people, and the cost of all the parts mean that it is out of reach for some users.

On the other hand, we believe that it will be a huge success as it is. Not only in RC, but also with general electronics hobbies, professional power-system designers, and university labs.

We have been pretty occupied getting the Emeter II done, and will be occupied improving it and supporting it for a while yet.

But we are considering simpler RDU options to lower the cost with a reduced feature set, or if that isn't feasible on cost basis, perhaps a very compact stand-alone inflight unit with LED display of V,A,W, and min/maxes.

David
Last edited by NipponDave; Dec 31, 2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old Jan 01, 2009, 01:37 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,343 Posts
How about a picture of the new meter???
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jan 01, 2009, 01:49 AM
Suncoaster
Australia, QLD, Cooloola Cove
Joined Jan 2006
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2
How about a picture of the new meter???
Follow the link in the first post.

Dave
DavidWalker is offline Find More Posts by DavidWalker
Old Jan 01, 2009, 06:31 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,256 Posts
Thought it would be nice to add the photo here so that folks know what we're talking about.
Ken Myers is online now Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Jan 01, 2009, 11:43 AM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,132 Posts
Can't wait to see one of these in action. Love the EM1.

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Jan 01, 2009, 11:57 AM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,691 Posts
Hate to sound like a whiner....but can you change the 'start' screen? On the original EM, it always started with the tachometer, which I hardly use. I'd like mine to start at MOTOR or BATTERY. PLEASE tell me this is a custom function!!
yarsmythejr is offline Find More Posts by yarsmythejr
Old Jan 01, 2009, 02:55 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2002
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarsmythejr
Hate to sound like a whiner....but can you change the 'start' screen? On the original EM, it always started with the tachometer, which I hardly use. I'd like mine to start at MOTOR or BATTERY. PLEASE tell me this is a custom function!!
With Emeter II, we have changed the start screen to be the one you were using when you last switched off. So, in EM1 terms, if you were on BATTERY, you will start up next time on BATTERY.

'MOTOR' has now been replaced by 'ANALYSER' for Emeter II and, likewise, you will start there if you were on ANALYSER when you last finished. If I recall correctly, you were one of a number of EM1 users who asked for a change of this nature. Hopefully our solution will meet your needs.

The version 2 Emeter has a number of new features such as stopwatches, data logging, digital servo programming, programmable test profiles to mention just a few. Had we stayed with the original concept of browsing through every feature in turn, it would have taken for ever. Now, we have a multi-level menu to speed things up.

Phil
philmaur is offline Find More Posts by philmaur