Old Dec 28, 2008, 10:20 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Discussion
Maiden Flight Check List / Flight Plan

Hey,

Has anyone ever made a MAIDEN FLIGHT PLAN?

Here's my one. I'd like to see one by someone who knows what they are actally talking about!

MAIDEN FLIGHT PLAN
------------------

1. Preflight check - Battery charged, Controls full free and correct, Range check, Full throttle check and Roll Camera.

2. Take off - Gear down, flaps up, rolling take off from tarmac (the road!)

3. Spotter to call following flight plan for pilot and cameraman and to adjust trims as requested by test pilot.

3b. If plane is now not in a million pieces, proceed to step 4!

4. Mid power left hand circuit (gear still down - then retract)

5. Low level full speed fly-by for dopler recording.

6. Single slowish aileron rolls in both directions and then snap rolls.

7. Fly inverted upwind and downwind for length of airfield.

8. Inside loop.

9. Split 'S'.

10. High Alfa, full power stall, zero power stall (and combo's of flaps and gear up/down)

11. Vertical climb - until it 'falls over'.

12. Flat spin. (from height - Full power, full up elevator, full Aileron, Full rudder)

13. Flyby - flaps down, gear up.

14. flyby - flaps up, gear down.

15. Flyby - flaps down, gear down.

16. Landing - Slow circuit and land on tarmac if not possible, gear up grass landing.

BILL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2008, 11:07 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2008
2 Posts
I always do a maiden check list.

1. Bring airplane.
2. Fly airplane.
3. Go home with airplane.
4. Repeat next day.
VectorII is offline Find More Posts by VectorII
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:20 AM
Joined Jun 2002
860 Posts
Being a tad more cautious, my maiden flight plan might look more like this;
1. Range check, CG check
2. final check for elevator and aileron direction of travel
3.Build up plenty of speed before a gradual lift off.
4.Airplane may want to climb at a steep angle, don't let it.
5.Keep climbing gradually, make shallow turns until the airplane is 2 or 3 mistakes high.
6.At a comfortably high altitude, throttle back and set your elevator and aileron trims, set elevator for a gentle glide.
7.Do a few circuits while you feel out the airplanes stall characteristics.
8.Practice a few landing approaches, but do them a hundred feet up, instead of on the deck.
9. Land the airplane. Relax. The next flight will be much better.
10. For the maiden flight, make sure your airplane is fully visible. Do not fly on an overcast day, put some large geometric patches on your airplane so it is obvious which way is which.

Ron
Ron Pogue is offline Find More Posts by Ron Pogue
Last edited by Ron Pogue; Dec 29, 2008 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Include visibility criteria
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:56 AM
Chatteris, Cambs, UK
Joined Dec 2005
709 Posts
I would go more for Ron's checklist. Get the first flight up and down safely. Check the aircraft carefully for any loose parts or impending failures. Then progressively increase the severity of the manoeuvres, checking the aircraft after each flight, especially before any high speed flat out down the runway.

Things that can bite are: C/G out of place, control surface flutter, loosening hinges, clevices failing, vibration causing screws to loosen. U/C being jarred during takeoff and failing to retract fully/ stressing the mountings. to name but a few.

Adrian
Adrianh is offline Find More Posts by Adrianh
Old Dec 29, 2008, 02:02 PM
dare to be dull
Deland, FL
Joined Jun 2002
688 Posts
Ron has it. The objective of the first flight is to find out if it will go up and come back down. Once it is up, the primary thing is to get it (and the pilot) ready to come back down. Slow flight, check for tip stall or pitch up, setting the trim, and landing. Multiple approaches may be needed to get it worked out well, no need to wait - start doing them as soon as you have a lap around the field. Start up high, then down to the ground.

If you get the landing real comfortable on the first attempt, you can allways go play with the plane after that. If you go play and then leave yourself one chance to land with any new plane, results will likely disappoint.

BTW - Bill's list is good, it's just about 3-4 flights worth of stuff.
bigjohn is online now Find More Posts by bigjohn
Old Dec 29, 2008, 02:15 PM
dare to be dull
Deland, FL
Joined Jun 2002
688 Posts
One first flight tip I can give, for futaba anyway:

The newer futaba transmitters have a slider switch on each side of the tx case where your index finger can get to it easy. I always take this switch and mix it to elevator with a 5-10% mix. That gives me immediate "elevator trim" control incase the plane is unexpectedly out of trim - or you need a largely different trim setting for landing. If the plane pitches up, you can slam in a bunch of down trim right away with this method.
bigjohn is online now Find More Posts by bigjohn
Old Dec 31, 2008, 06:11 PM
Tehachapi CA
Joined Sep 2008
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn
One first flight tip I can give, for futaba anyway:

The newer futaba transmitters have a slider switch on each side of the tx case where your index finger can get to it easy. I always take this switch and mix it to elevator with a 5-10% mix. That gives me immediate "elevator trim" control incase the plane is unexpectedly out of trim - or you need a largely different trim setting for landing. If the plane pitches up, you can slam in a bunch of down trim right away with this method.
Nice tip! I will try that on my JR 9303 . thanks
TILEFLY is offline Find More Posts by TILEFLY