HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2003, 04:31 AM
Ado
Meow?
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,574 Posts
Amd Su-35.....

Has anyone got or heard of this thing flying?

I couldnt!

I was thinking of cutting off the front canards and putting a larger foamcore/balsa sheeted wing(RG-15) on it to try and get it to fly.

Ideas?

Cheers,

~Ado
Ado is offline Find More Posts by Ado
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2003, 09:34 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,240 Posts
Well, you're # 3

I tried without success to make one (not mine) fly at the PSS fest a couple of years ago. Level flight barely under control was about the best I could manage but only for a few passes. It would always depart controlled flight after a few minutes. The thing is just a BAD design. We tried moving the CG and the control throws etc but nothing seemed to make a difference. That sucka just don't wanna fly. We finally broke it (the fuse is really thin). I had another long email exchange a year or so back with another poor sloper that bought one. He was unable to get it to fly and gave up too. But it does make a nice weathervane or a dart board, or a hood ornament or a planter box or a Christmas tree ornament.......

The thing that puzzles me is that I saw a review in some magazine a while back and they actually said they liked it. I guess advertising dollars mean more than the truth. Most of the AMD kits are poor flyers. Especially thier jets. About the only one that flies even half decent is the A-4. The rest just blow and the SU-35 and Su-27 are static display models in my opinion cause making them fly well seems a nerly impossible task.

Here's what I would try first.

Cut off the canards!
Check the incidence (wing to tail)
Enlarge the horizontal stab (move it aft too if possible)

The lifting body effect will really screw with a design like that too and the CG may end up WAY further forward than you might expect. (The CG on my F-15 ended up at 8% MAC!)

Cheers

Oh yea, make sure you've had a few Fosters before flying it next. It might help or at the very least you may not remember how bad it flew

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Mar 05, 2003, 04:23 PM
Ado
Meow?
Brisbane Intl, Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,574 Posts
Thanks TFLG.

I also crack the fuse on mine....but i`m going to try and make up some lightply formers to try and strengthen it.

I think the canards are the biggest problem in the whole design. Creating too much turbulance over the wings all the time....not just when its at a high AOT. This is killing all of its lifting power.

Mine seemed tail heavy all the time....when it flew...it would sit what looked nose up all the time. With more weight in the nose and a really good slope....i think it might fly 1/2 decent.

Anyway....i`ve made it a quest to try and get it to fly...even if it doesnt look the same as it did before

Cheers,

~Ado
Ado is offline Find More Posts by Ado
Old Mar 05, 2003, 07:17 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TFLG
Well, you're # 3

The thing that puzzles me is that I saw a review in some magazine a while back and they actually said they liked it. I guess advertising dollars mean more than the truth
Heh...when was the last time you read a bad review in a model airplane magazine?
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee