ummm... i think i need more epoxy. 24 39.34%
"on" switch signs the death warrant, plane a total loss 26 42.62%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 05, 2003, 01:33 AM
Springfield, MO
Joined Jan 2003
55 Posts
Fy or Die ? a newbie poll

well, this weekend comes the fateful day, my first flight , ever. (however i have flown planes in video games before ) however , my "trainer" is an e-flite electrajet w/30 amp esc and 8c 1800s. i can fly it... i think.

so what do you think? will i learn to fly? or will i be plane shopping at the LHS on monday?
Demolisher is offline Find More Posts by Demolisher
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2003, 01:38 AM
Springfield, MO
Joined Jan 2003
55 Posts
> my victim
Old Mar 05, 2003, 01:39 AM
Springfield, MO
Joined Jan 2003
55 Posts
> my victim... err, plane
Old Mar 05, 2003, 01:44 AM
hem.bredband.net/b254298
Sweden, sthlm
Joined Nov 2001
325 Posts
It's a foamie, so lots of epoxy will do fine. However, i dont think an elevon controlled delta is the best trainer, so expect to use LOTS of epoxy
Nicke is offline Find More Posts by Nicke
Old Mar 05, 2003, 02:09 AM
Ireland
Joined Apr 2001
4,031 Posts
get a true trainer model

Although i have not flown this model myself, delta's are not the best training models and i would suggest to "save" this and get a more forgiving model to start with and use this one as second.
cmulder is offline Find More Posts by cmulder
Old Mar 05, 2003, 08:11 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,415 Posts
I can almost guarantee that your first flight will be less than 60 seconds with a prompt laundry change following.
Repeat after me...JK Aerotech T-52 JK Aerotech T-52 JK Aerotech T-52, etc.
Sorry for being a downer but I wish I had $5 for every new pilot that bought a "cool looking" (meaning faster than a bat outta ----) plane instead of a proper trainer to learn on. I learned on a Zagi. Contrary to popular belief, they are NOT indestructible. It also scared me badly the first 10 times I (tried to) flew it.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 05, 2003, 09:43 AM
Time To Fly?
Gig Harbor, WA
Joined May 2002
712 Posts
Save that beautiful plane from a horrible death!!!! It will go down.

I had been flying a Sky Scooter for 3 months, got pretty good with it. Then went and got a Projeti. It lasted about 45 seconds. Ended up a nice pile of yellow foam in the middle of the road.

I was heartbroken. Give yourself some time, start working with a simulator like FMS. Will save you money. Then get the T 52.

Dale
gobigdale is offline Find More Posts by gobigdale
Old Mar 05, 2003, 10:08 AM
Clinton, Maryland
Joined Oct 2002
426 Posts
I'm right in the middle of the learning stages with a Zagi 400X. With the help of a couple of guys I feel confident I can launch it and fly it high successfully. The next step is working on landing when I mean to land if you know what I mean. I fixed the servo from my last "landing" and now I just need to make it to the LHS to get some additional props and I will be back in business. I couldn't imagine having a plane that didn't handle my unscheduled landings relatively well. I think a wing would be a good place to start with the help of an experienced pilot.
Tomegun is offline Find More Posts by Tomegun
Old Mar 05, 2003, 10:40 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
Get a beaver now and savw that nice looking airplane from a certain death. The beaver is a great trainer and also has a wide speed range.
pc_pilot is offline Find More Posts by pc_pilot
Old Mar 05, 2003, 10:44 AM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
I would start out with something a little less breakable (Zagi's bounce very well) and are much slower, and that will give you more time to turn when you see the tree, wall or ground comming. If you take that fast little thing to learn on, also remember to bring a BIG garbage bag with you for all the pieces (that you can find).Remember, as cool as you will look flying that fast little thing, you WILL NOT look cool walking around looking for all the bits of your plane, and if yoiu do find all the bits and you can get everything epoxied back together the plane will have alot more wieght to it and it will not look cool anymore with all that glue. Download FMS its free and it will help you learn to fly. Remember that the faster a plane is, the less time you will have to stop a crash, Good Luck.....R....
RandyK1 is offline Find More Posts by RandyK1
Old Mar 05, 2003, 11:57 AM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
I started with a Firebid XL, Tiger Moth and now a switchback and I still was not ready for the maden flight of my Electrajet. It moves fast and it's easy to overcontrol. I have finished repairing the plane, but it will sit until my skills improve.

I hope you will also wait until you have some experience. Good luck and download FMS.

Shawn
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Mar 05, 2003, 12:12 PM
San Diego
Joined Sep 2001
413 Posts
Don't listen to anyone but that little devil on yer shoulder telling you that no matter what you read here you know you could fly that plane.

You can fly on your FMS go, go fly,
then come back and share your carnage

Actually I share the majority of opinion here, take it easy, or better yet go find someone who can fly and have them teach you.

Johnny.........................
Lil' Johnny is offline Find More Posts by Lil' Johnny
Old Mar 05, 2003, 12:15 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,248 Posts
I wish you success....but your odds are VERY low

My bet will be the plane is out of trim and you cant make the proper necessary adjustments WHILE trying to figure out how to fly. IF you can....have an experienced pilot trim the plane out for you

If that doesn't get you....and you manage to fly for over 2 minutes ....you better start thinking about landing.

taking off and Flying is a piec of CAKE compare to a landing you walk away from with a plane that will fly again

...but I wish you good luck. I Taught myself to fly almost 20 years ago with a balsa stick and glue glow plane so I know all about sticking your tongue out at the NaySayers (BTW, there were no Computer Sims back then either !!!)

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Mar 05, 2003, 01:19 PM
Be one with the heli
United States, AZ, Sahuarita
Joined Oct 2002
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan W

If that doesn't get you....and you manage to fly for over 2 minutes ....you better start thinking about landing.

taking off and Flying is a piec of CAKE compare to a landing you walk away from with a plane that will fly again

Alan W
Amen to that... I boke off a piece of my pico jet on a semi hard landing...Didnt even notice when i picked it up...was lucky to have found the piece again.
MaxDuracell is offline Find More Posts by MaxDuracell
Old Mar 05, 2003, 01:28 PM
Joined Dec 2002
1,952 Posts
Hi Demolisher

To borrow from the Hells Angels logo, "Live to fly, fly to live".

Don't be discouraged, as that's plane's repairable for sure. But by all means, start out on a slow-flying plane that can fly hands-off, like a free-flighter, and be 'guided' around the field with an occasional nudge of the rudder. As you build up time, there'll come a point at which you are magically "in the cockpit" and control becomes autonomic, like riding a bicycle. That's when it's time to move up to hotter planes.

And don't worry, it WILL happen and you'll love it. And the aforementioned logo sums it up.

Bill (oc)
oldcoot88 is offline Find More Posts by oldcoot88