SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by rockom, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:47 AM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
796 Posts
Cool
Sanding Tool

I've tried to use emery boards for sanding in small areas. Most of the time they are not suited. I'm talking about the thin cardboard type. They are flexible (sometimes a good thing but usually not) and the are not flat. I decided to make my own.

I used a piece of 1/16" x 3/4" aluminum stock cut to about 6" long. 220 grit sand paper is applied on one side and 150 grit to the other side. So far, it works great.

-Rocko
rockom is offline Find More Posts by rockom
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2008, 04:27 AM
Western Australia
Joined Jun 2004
750 Posts
Nightz,

I've just finished making a few of these today. I've also stuck down a piece of 120 on my cutting board for finishing off pieces just cut.

James.
_James_ is offline Find More Posts by _James_
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:37 AM
USA, IN, Seymour
Joined May 2004
341 Posts
Great. Looks like an item to put on the market. With my limited time, i would
buy.
Steve_O is online now Find More Posts by Steve_O
Old Dec 28, 2008, 02:41 PM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_O
Great. Looks like an item to put on the market. With my limited time, i would
buy.
Steve,
I've thought about this. I could use some extra cash to recycle back into the hobby.

I have other size aluminum stock. Some wider some narrower, and some thicker. I'm also working on square and rectangular tubes ( hollow in the center ). This allows you to lay one surface of the tube flat on your building surface and sand your material for a 90 degree finish. Allows give you more to grip on to when using a heavier grit paper. I'll work up some more samples. I'm trying to keep it quick and simple.

-Rocko
Last edited by rockom; Dec 28, 2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 06:14 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
sadly someone else already does this, and more.

My MOST used tool is from here:-

www.permagrit.com

I use the staggered block and also the sort of rat tail rasp/file. It's superb for opening up holes that are a tad tight, and forming inside curves..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:11 PM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage1
sadly someone else already does this, and more.

My MOST used tool is from here:-

www.permagrit.com

I use the staggered block and also the sort of rat tail rasp/file. It's superb for opening up holes that are a tad tight, and forming inside curves..
Great site. I had not heard of Perma-Grit before. However, I don't see any offerings on their site like I've shown in my photo.

-Rocko
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:39 PM
USA, IL, Malta
Joined Jan 2004
796 Posts
Update -> Grit-Sticks

Hello,

I've been workinn on the Grit-Sticks a little more. I made several out of 1/16", 1/8", and 1/4" thickness stock. The 1/16" sticks are 6" long and the thicker stuff is 8" long. I've made a couple changes since the first one. I don't see a reason to round off the one end. It takes allot of time and is not necessary for my needs. If I make them for someone else, the could be rounded off if requested. Also, I've decided it's best to stick to one grit per stick. With multiples, it's easier to keep track of what grit is where when both sides are identical.

The 1/16 sticks are nice for slipping in narrow spaces but the I'm really liing the heft and feel of the thicker ones. All the new sticks vary in width from 1/2" to 1". My local source of stock is limited so, if I make many more, I'll probably order online.

I also need to work on my cutting methods. My band saw is for wood...I can't vary the speed for metals. I used a scroll saw to cut these. It worked very well. Once cut, I cleaned up the edges on a disk sander and then debured. Still kinda slow and my end cuts are close but too but not perfectly square.

I'll try and follow up with some picks tomorrow.

-Rocko
Old Dec 30, 2008, 03:34 PM
If it flies, I crash it!
USA, NH, Londonderry
Joined Nov 2006
924 Posts
Grit sticks!

Rocko,

Good idea!
I use paint mixing sticks and glue the grit(sand paper) to it.
When they are used up, I toss them in the trash.

Daniel
dlazarus6660 is offline Find More Posts by dlazarus6660