HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2008, 07:29 PM
Nucking Futs
Southern Killafornia
Joined Jan 2005
1,626 Posts
Discussion
Door skin sheeting??

I did a quick search and came up with nothing. I swear I've heard of using door skins as sheeting for foam cores. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Better yet, where I can get some. This stuff from Aircraft Spruce and Supply is spendy as hell!!!

Thanks all, IRJ
I'm Rick James is offline Find More Posts by I'm Rick James
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:04 PM
Portland Intl, Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,150 Posts
the only door skins I have seen are about 1/8th inch thick and I used to be able to get them at Home Depot or Lowes but I dont know if they are still available.

Maybe there are thinner kinds out there.

TIM
A6INTRUDER is offline Find More Posts by A6INTRUDER
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:09 PM
SSP#14 aspirant
Fort Lewis, Washington, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,289 Posts
your talking about Luan plywood right? Check at Home Depot or Lowes. A few years back I got some 1/8" three ply stuff from Home Depot.

Soar Dude
Soar_dude is offline Find More Posts by Soar_dude
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:11 PM
Minneapolis, MN
Joined May 2007
57 Posts
I've seen it mentioned a few times, but this post is the only one I can remember that got specific:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=8

I'm interested in this, too since I've got a wing to sheet and a tight budget.

Steve
Mr. Match is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Match
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:23 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,920 Posts
IIRC-wasn't the source Anderson Doors?
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Goat Rock Threads
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:47 PM
FSD
Definite Flight Risk
Joined Apr 2008
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Rick James
I did a quick search and came up with nothing. I swear I've heard of using door skins as sheeting for foam cores. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Better yet, where I can get some. This stuff from Aircraft Spruce and Supply is spendy as hell!!!

Thanks all, IRJ

Door skins sounds like it would have some potential.

I'll tell you what I've been working with. It's a very thin plastic...I call it paper-plastic. It was used in holding the System CDs that came with my MacBook Pro. It a super thin plastic that seems pliable enough to be used as a method for covering foam. I'm currently researching the material.

-P
FSD is offline Find More Posts by FSD
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:58 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jun 2004
200 Posts
OK folk. Doorskins are generally 1/8 or 1/4 Luan, that (once was) a fast growing Phillipine Mahogany. That particular wood is now mostly gone, and Luan (check for actual spelling, it's rather strange) and Luan is a strange, similar wood out of china. Do some funky google searches, and you'll find it.

I can't imagine using it for wing skins in or on any planet, slope or not. I'ts cheap, splinters like mad when cut, and can be unstable. If you want a super durable, stable skin, try phenolic backed veneers. You can choose your wood for finish, and have the extra stability and strength of the phenolic backing.
johnsocj is offline Find More Posts by johnsocj
Old Dec 27, 2008, 09:05 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jun 2004
200 Posts
Oh, Sorry. I see the original issue was price, right? I picked up a 4'x8' sheet of nice, -nice- honduran mahogany veneer with phenolic backing for around 60 bucks. How many wings can you do with that??

If you go with veneer, (could be interesting, haven't seen anyone else do it) try Alder or Birch. Fine, even grain, and easy to finish.

Rick James- So Cal? Where? Check Anderson Plywood Sales (LA) That's where I shop.
johnsocj is offline Find More Posts by johnsocj
Old Dec 27, 2008, 09:15 PM
USA, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
I've done a few wings with the phenolic back veneer, I got Cherry. It is tough as 1/64" ply and cheap in comparison, I think I paid around $50.00 for 1 2x8 roll from a woodworkers club here in CT. I'm just finishing some Jarteron wings skinned with it right now.
Sleedo is offline Find More Posts by Sleedo
Old Dec 27, 2008, 09:24 PM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,216 Posts
i skinned my Jaguar with them....it was old stock from home depot or lowes...neither store sells them anymore....it was a very inexpensive way to go..aircraft place in corona is the cheapest i found.
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:15 PM
Orange County, CA
Joined Oct 2004
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsocj
Oh, Sorry. I see the original issue was price, right? I picked up a 4'x8' sheet of nice, -nice- honduran mahogany veneer with phenolic backing for around 60 bucks. How many wings can you do with that??

I can get 6 wings out of a 4x8 sheet. Our P-40B wings with 24" cores.

Sean the ply is one of the high dollar items. I have been checking on balsa packs at Michael's or Joann's, my wife gets 50% off coupons but the thinnest I've found is 3/32", I was hoping to find 1/16" but no luck so far.
Chief High Horse is offline Find More Posts by Chief High Horse
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:55 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,095 Posts
Ganahl Lumber in O.C. would have door skins. I agree the backed hardwood veneers are a better choice. Austin hardwoods in Santa Ana has a nice assortment of veneers as well as glues and vac bags. Like a candy store for us finish carpenters.
Tom
TRISME is offline Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:35 AM
Just fly it!
Cody, WY
Joined Nov 2007
6,915 Posts
I find that that single ply veneers tend to split along the grain.

I've discovered that ply is stronger.

You might try North American Plywood (located in CA). I buy all my 1/64, 1/32, and light ply by the pallet from them. They have got every kind of plywood under the sun.

Adam
wyowindworks is offline Find More Posts by wyowindworks
Old Dec 28, 2008, 01:37 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,687 Posts
That seem's kind of thick, but know this the ply's are not the same thickness. I've made a few sea kayak's out of the stuff, but you really have to seal them with epoxy for that kind of building. I've used the Luan for bulkheads and fuse side's to good effect, I haven't seen it in awhile though.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2008, 09:36 AM
WINDEPENDENT
United States, CA, Beaumont
Joined Dec 2007
3,216 Posts
i sheeted my PSS P63 cobra with 3/32 birch plywood from michaels/joann's..a lil cheaper than hobby store..my fuse is a heavy layup and the wings are not glassed,,sealed and painted....AUW 44oz without the a 13 ballast bar
slopepilot is offline Find More Posts by slopepilot