Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 27, 2008, 05:08 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,905 Posts
Yippee!
I got an oscillating spindle sander!

Yes, I am jealous of Longbike's version of an OSS but I cannot afford such a nice machine.

Anyway, I have had my eye on an OSS at Harbor Freight Tool for a couple of months now. It is normally priced at $120. It is currently on sale for $100.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...5088&Submit=Go

I get promo e-mails from HF and the latest one is a coupon for 20% off.

I got a Christmas gift from my wife for an HF gift card, $50 bucks. And I still had $10 bucks remaining on her gift card from last year.

So I got this OSS today. Cost me $20 bucks plus the Governators tax.

I'm a happy camper!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2008, 05:19 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,905 Posts
Oh bugger!!

I just opened the box, and it's busted to pieces inside.

I'm on my way back to the store.....
Old Dec 27, 2008, 05:35 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,659 Posts
Jeeze Kmot! I thought that only happened to me. Hope they have another one for you. Handy machine for sure. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Dec 27, 2008, 06:11 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,065 Posts
HF...ya get what ya pay for.

Great tool, hope ya get one in better shape.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Dec 27, 2008, 06:36 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,905 Posts
LOL... some days!

Well, just have to wait for more to come into stock.

Yeah woodybob, I LOVE HF!
Old Dec 27, 2008, 06:49 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,033 Posts
Tom, good luck getting the new one,it's a nice tool to have. I've had a craftsman with a 20''x20'' table for a number of years. Very handy tool.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Dec 27, 2008, 06:51 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,905 Posts
Thanks Charlie. I'm looking forward to it. Should be more in the store within a couple of weeks.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 07:09 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,160 Posts
Tom,

You need a bigger tree, and you are also
going to need a bigger shop...
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Dec 27, 2008, 07:19 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
LOL... some days!...Yeah woodybob, I LOVE HF!
I know ya do Tom. I bought my Delta scroll saw from them, couldn't be happier. A buddy bought a reciprocating saw from them, lasted 20 minutes, they wouldn't take it back because the 19 minute warranty was up. Geezzeee.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Dec 27, 2008, 07:46 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,306 Posts
I got a thickness sander!

Congrats Tom, and that reminds me that I owe a report on my thickness sander:

Picked up a thickness sander from Micromark to help do lots of planking. In the past, I've stripped off planks from sheets of basswood, but for the big jobs, it's better to resaw planks from pine boards and then sand them... and that's where a thickness sander comes in handy.

It's not without issues though:

- It comes out of the box literally dripping with oil. Took a while before my wood came through without grease marks.
- There's a jack screw to adjust the sanding table height... it has a big hex head that goes click click click as you turn it against the angled table, so you can't use turn of the screw for micro-adjustments. I used a dial indicator on the table and some pivot point ratios, a pain...
- Changing the sanding drum takes a number of tools, including snap ring pliers fer cryin' out loud. Can't wait for that job.
- The vac system works well, except that the connection puts the hose in the way of extracting the wood on the out feed.
- And of course, feeding and kick-back is all under manual control. Takes a steady hand to avoid divots in your boards.
- The machine is heavy though, and runs smoothly and stays in place on the bench as you feed it.
- Byrnes and Preac make well-regarded sanders too, though they're over $100 more. Not sure if they improve on the issues above, except that changing the paper is easier for sure-- they both use sheet paper with the ends tucked into a groove in the roller. Don't know if they go "whack whack whack", but the drum doesn't have to be removed.

So, I've sanded both sides of about ninety 1/2" wide planks, with no signs of trouble in the paper department. All is good, I could make planks all day long!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Dec 27, 2008, 07:52 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,905 Posts
There is something very fishy smelling about your buddies story. Most HF power tools come with a minimum 90 day warranty. Long enough to know if it's going to last or not. My lathe and mill each had a one year warranty. Lots and lots of their hand tools have lifetime warranty. My drill press from HF is now over 20 years old. In fact, I don't have a single tool from them that has totally failed in service. The only things that have happened was I bought a 12V pump that somehow got put back on the shelf instead of the back room after a first purchaser burned up a motor lead wire. I simply repaired it. I have a 8-in-3 mini machine kit and the power supply went on the fritz. I called HF and asked about returning the power supply and they gave me an RMA number and I shipped the power supply back, and only the power supply. In return I got another complete NIB 8-in-3 machine tool kit. $180 bucks worth. And in the meantime I was already using another powersupply from one of the cheap r/c radios. And now, this item broken inside the box, but it did not fail in service, it was dropped off a pallet or something.

I'm not complaining.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:02 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
But what does Kmot need a spindle sander for we ask?...

Does this mean we are to see some scratch building from the Kmot Boat Werks?...
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:21 PM
Kurt Greiner
USA, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Sep 2005
491 Posts
Some tools from Harbor Freight is OK, usually the stuff made of big chunks of steel or iron. The air tools are OK for occasional use, but their electrics leave something to be desired. I have a 9 inch grinder that lasted about 20 hours, and their heat guns die very fast. A 12 volt pump lost the impeller after one use, though I will salvage the motor for a future boat project. The quality of the wrenches and sockets they sell is much better than a few years back though.

For an oscillating sander, I like the Rigid, from Home Depot - nice big table, well priced, and gives you the option of using a belt in addition to the spindle. I have used it for a couple of years now with no trouble.

Kurt
seaphoto is offline Find More Posts by seaphoto
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:43 PM
If you cant find it Build it!
NEAR ST. LOUIS ILL. SIDE
Joined Jan 2006
1,504 Posts
Hey thats great Tom you will love it!
Sorry I made you jealous of mine!

Now lets see some builds big guy!
LONGBIKE is offline Find More Posts by LONGBIKE
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:55 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup
But what does Kmot need a spindle sander for we ask?...

Does this mean we are to see some scratch building from the Kmot Boat Werks?...
Maybe scratching those hard to reach areas?