HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:50 PM
Joined Dec 2007
17 Posts
Discussion
Rechargeable Batteries for Remote

Most remote controls use eight (8) AA batteries. What is the best option for rechargeable batteries and chargers. Do they make a charger that can do all eight batteries at a time? Are any batteries better than others. Where is the best place to buy the batteries and charger? Appreciate your help...
pcasamento is offline Find More Posts by pcasamento
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2008, 01:39 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
yes you can get wall chargers that can do 8 cells, your remote transmitter may have a jack in the side. as for battery brand, I use sanyo,
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Dec 27, 2008, 08:48 PM
Joined May 2008
312 Posts
Wow can you open up a can of worms asking about chargers. I use a smart charger and get good life out of my batteries. But their is a ton of different "smart chargers" out there. Most are pretty good to very good. They are not overkill if you look at the price of batteries and the additional life they get out of the batteries especially if your using nicad batteries.

Oh by the way I use duracell 2650mah. They are nimh. I got 8 of them in a pack from Wallyworld for $19.00 with a cheap charger!
ragss is offline Find More Posts by ragss
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:06 PM
Joined Aug 2008
201 Posts
i personally think if you are going to buy a charger buy one that does nicads rite threw to lipos as you never know when you mite need it
just my 2c scott
ozzie-crawl is offline Find More Posts by ozzie-crawl
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:31 PM
Joined May 2008
312 Posts
Good point Ozzie-Crawl but I think all the smart chargers these days will handle lipo's. Their may be a few old ones around but for the most part they will handle any battery.
I'd like to know how they put all that magic in that little box. All I do is hook up whatever battery I need charged and put the temperature sensor on the battery. It takes a second and knows what kind of battery or batteries they are and starts charging them. The only thing I have to do manual is tell it slow charge or quick charge and wether or not to discharge the battery first.
ragss is offline Find More Posts by ragss
Old Dec 28, 2008, 09:03 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcasamento
Most remote controls use eight (8) AA batteries. What is the best option for rechargeable batteries and chargers. Do they make a charger that can do all eight batteries at a time? Are any batteries better than others. Where is the best place to buy the batteries and charger? Appreciate your help...
I use & suggest you get NiMh battery for your TX, I am using 2600mah AA NiMh in my TX and they seem to last for weeks on end. NiMh are also knowed to not have such a (MEMORY) and can be recharge even if they are not fully discharged. AND you will be glad that you didnt get LIPO for your TX the next time you forget to turn it off, like I sometimes DO. Electronic store like RADIO SHACK, THE SOURCE, you can get plastic tray ( battery holder ) that will hold your 8AA, or if you can solder, you can solder on a charging tab on your TX or what I think is easiest is IF YOUR TX as a 8AA battery pack holder like some PISTOL GRIP TX, you can just remove it from the TX and use wires with clips to hook up on the +- of the pack to charge it.

AS for a CHARGER, get a multi-type charger. YOU will be glad that you have it when you get better bigger battery AKA LIPO

EXEMPLE OF MULTI CHARGER
http://www.duratrax.com/caraccys/dtxp4230.html
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:47 PM
Is life for real?
Almere The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
1,324 Posts
Vouching Freechips advice! I use GP's 2700 and they do seem to last on ends, yet if not sure no problem on the recharge and I have had them forever And not all chargers handle LiPo but get one that does, it's the way it's (going maybe not immediately but.....!). If you treat your LiPo's right they will meet you on the same level! Boo
pkboo is offline Find More Posts by pkboo
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:21 PM
Joined Dec 2007
17 Posts
Thank You For All Of Your Responses... I Will Certainly Take It All Into Consideration, Before Making A Decision.
pcasamento is offline Find More Posts by pcasamento