HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Bugman Jeff, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:24 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,683 Posts
Question
Easy way to transfer large amount of data over the internet?

I recently finished the restoration of a 1955 Porsche at work(Speedster #80486, the 486th Speedster ever made). I took pics and documented the whole process(and, as a side note, it won Best of Show at it's first Concourse event, so I'm pretty proud of that ). A guy on an early Porsche forum recently bought a Speedster only a few production numbers away from this one that needs full restporation. He asked for my pics, and I'm happy to give them to him. He's not the most computer literate, but has high speed internet. Is there an easy way I can transfer 2Gb of pics to him so I don't have to burn and mail CDs(he's in Austrailia)? Something that would do it in one shot instead of having to save every individual pic would be nice. Thanks for the info.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:27 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,551 Posts
You need to set up an FTP site.
How exactly you do it I don't know

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 28, 2008, 01:27 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2008
86 Posts
places like mega upload may do it?
NitrosharkiiiI is offline Find More Posts by NitrosharkiiiI
Old Dec 28, 2008, 03:04 AM
Suspended Account
United States, UT, Salina
Joined Apr 2003
3,117 Posts
Bittorent is a popular way.
Bilbobaker is offline Find More Posts by Bilbobaker
Old Dec 28, 2008, 02:30 PM
I fly into trees.
United States, AZ, Tempe
Joined Jan 2006
90 Posts
FTP is a nice way to go. "Filezilla" is both an FTP client and server that isn't too difficult to setup and use. You could setup the server on your computer and he can use whatever method (even inside his browser) to access the server on your computer.

If you do much data transferring, or find yourself in places where you need data on your computer, running an FTP server is a relatively simple way to go. As with all things, security is important, and there are steps you can take to keep the bad internet people out!
Kemper is offline Find More Posts by Kemper
Old Dec 28, 2008, 02:36 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,551 Posts
I think Skype can do big files as well. You would have to put all the images in a zip or rar.

http://www.skype.com/

Here is Filezilla:
http://filezilla-project.org/

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 28, 2008, 05:25 PM
kit
USA
Joined Oct 2001
695 Posts
There are many online data storage sites. Some of them are free.

Check this link. You may find a solution to your problem of transferring many picture files is to store them online and then let others download them.

http://www.wisebread.com/5-great-cho...e-data-storage
kit is offline Find More Posts by kit