SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:01 PM
United States, SC, Okatie
Joined Jan 2002
233 Posts
Jim or Mark- any estimate yet on the all-up weight and loading? For the amount of power you are talking, I would guess a load of 10-12 oz./ft sq., which would mean a weight of 40-50 ounces, assuming a wing area of around 4 sq. ft.
sammy is offline Find More Posts by sammy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:51 PM
Flying electric since 1986
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
553 sq. in. Estimated weight 60 ounces for 15-16 ounces per sq. ft.
Mark Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wolf
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mark Wolf; Jan 15, 2009 at 06:56 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:56 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,790 Posts
I estimate the AUW closer to 60oz. on the high end based on my other designs similar in size. With ~3.8 ft^2, the wing loading should be around 15oz/ft^2 which is right in the ballpark for a bipe. Anything lighter and it would be a real kite.

Power should be more than sufficient. The Scorpion 3020-14 should draw around 30 to 35A at 10V. That's 80 to 90W/lb! I remember when we only dreamed of such power loadings!

-Jim
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Jan 15, 2009, 06:54 AM
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Only 90 watts per pound? Don't you know planes can't fly with so little power? How am I supposed to hover?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stevens Aeromodel Skybuggy 100
Old Jan 15, 2009, 08:40 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,385 Posts
I'll hold your plane vertically for you while you make zoom, zoom, swish sounds. I'll even run up and down the flight line right in front of the other pilots for you. We wouldn't want to miss a chance to annoy them.
Ken Myers is online now Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:54 AM
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
See you in July!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:22 PM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wolf
Horizontal stab and elevators ready for hinging. Once I finish the hinges, I'll cut the elevators free and then cut both the elevators and stab in half at the center. The halves will plug into tubes fixed in the vertical stabilizer.
Based on the above, am I correct in assuming that the design requires two elevator servos?

Mark
buzzltyr is offline Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Jan 15, 2009, 05:11 PM
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzltyr
Based on the above, am I correct in assuming that the design requires two elevator servos?

Mark
Using two servos isn't required, but that is my plan. One could use a single servo with a split pushrod arrangement or join the elevator halves through the vertical stab and use a more traditional set-up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:18 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,790 Posts
I recommend one HS-65 for the elevator and rudder.

-Jim
Old Jan 16, 2009, 11:52 AM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
USA, MA, Longmeadow
Joined Jun 2003
1,818 Posts
Thanks Jim and Mark for the insight. But wouldn't some additional hingeing be required, beyond capturing the elevator dowel in the fuselage somehow? Just curious!
As shown in the pics, the only hinge seems to be the strap at the outside corners of the elevator.

Mark
buzzltyr is offline Find More Posts by buzzltyr
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:33 PM
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzltyr
Thanks Jim and Mark for the insight. But wouldn't some additional hingeing be required, beyond capturing the elevator dowel in the fuselage somehow? Just curious!
As shown in the pics, the only hinge seems to be the strap at the outside corners of the elevator.

Mark
The vertical stab and elevator joiner tube is the center hinge point.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2009, 06:14 PM
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
Rear fuselage construction begins with the crutch, which as I've posted before is two pieces of 1/16 balsa laminated with some scrap stick to provide some additional stiffness.

The crutch slides into the fuselage in place of the battery tray. The steps on the crutch locate the rear fuselage formers. The formers are only dry fit to the crutch. Do not glue them! The crutch is only there to hold the formers in place and add support until the the stringers are in place. Once that is done, it will be pulled out through the front of the fuselage.

3/32 balsa braces help hold the formers square to the crutch during assembly:

I blocked up the fuselage so that the crutch was true to the table, then dry fit the vertical stab in place. Once I verified that the stab was square I glued it in place.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mark Wolf; Aug 03, 2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 04:43 PM
USA, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Oct 2000
1,764 Posts
She's slowly looking like a Waco! I apologize for the slow progress.

After blocking the fuselage up and squaring everything as best I could to the table I began putting the stringers on the fuselage. At this point all the stringers are in place except a few small ones at the top of the fuselage. I wanted to leave myself some access to the rear fuselage until I get the elevator linkage in place.

There are a few places where the stringers go under the fuselage sheeting. In those areas the stringers should be notched to allow the sheeting to contact the formers. I used some scrap ply to make a simple sanding jig. This made the job quick and uniform. Just set the stringer in the slot and sand down to the ply.

Forward fuselage with notched stringers:

I used a few squares and a bunch of magnets to hold the vertical true while the stringers where installed. Did I mention how much I like using magnets instead of pins? When the stringers where in place I pulled the rear fuselage crutch out of the assembly. It worked perfectly! I can even slide the crutch back into the fuselage without difficulty.

Fuselage:

Now for the really cool part of this airplane! On the smaller Waco, Jim used a wooden latch mechanism activated by pulling an eyelet in the cowling. While the sliding tray of the smaller model was replicated in this larger version, Jim decided not to use the same latch and suggested screws. I wanted to come up with a way of securing the tray that was easy to operate and preferably didn't require the use of tools. What I settled on was set of spring loaded pins that are released by pulling the pilot up ~1/2". I drew up some rough sketches first, but most of this was done on the fly and so doesn't have the finished look of Jim's laser cut parts. It does work smoothly though and I think is a neat feature.

I started by making two supports from 1/16 ply, which are attached to the existing fuselage structure. I also incorporated the servo rail mount into these supports. This places the servos higher and further forward in the fuselage than shown on the plans. I did this for better access to the servos and also to put the rudder and elevator linkages more inline with the servos.

An inverted "U" shaped plywood arch is holds the 1/16 steel retaining pins. Some triangle stock helps support the pilot mounting plate on top. The pilot is then screwed to the arch. A small spring from the hardware store holds the latch closed. This arch piece slides in rails glued to the support pieces shown in the previous picture.

Latch in place:

The bottom end of the spring is captured by a piece of 1/8" dowel slipped through the eyelet of the spring. The dowel is held in place by the forward crutch and a few bits of scrap balsa.

To access the power tray just pull the pilot up a bit and hold, slide the tray out the nose and release the pilot. The latch mechanism weighs less than half an ounce (not including the pilot).

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mark Wolf; Aug 03, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 08:03 PM
Coldwater, Mi. USA
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
Hi Mark,

Very cool

-DG
Dave Grife is offline Find More Posts by Dave Grife
Old Jan 20, 2009, 05:33 AM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,790 Posts
Very Ingenious, Mark! You'd make a good model designer!

-Jim