HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2008, 12:07 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2 Posts
Discussion
Motors for Eflite Deuces Wild and BMI/VMAR Twin Otter

My first post, not sure if this is the best section but here it goes...

I just got delivery of a VMAR/BMI Twin Otter and an Eflite Deuces Wild and have been trying to figure out which motors to use on them. I prefer scale (and even slower) flying aircraft to the sporty speedsters and am very confused as to which engines to use to power these crafts, especially the names used to class the motors even on this forum.

My first model was a Flair piper-cub kit (1800cm) and later went on to a Blackhorse/Ripmax ARF Liberty II 182 (both with an ic 40 engine) and to practice on electrics i converted the piper cub. It took me 3 motors to get it to fly with the same power as i would with the ic engine, finally settled on a DualSky XM3548CA-5 850kv 330w@11.1v on an X-power 3s 3300 lipo.

For these 2 models I would prefer some advice from you people so as i do not have to buy 6 engines per plane to see with which ones they run best by trial and error. Please remember that i am very very new to electrics, i only know the basic ratings of a motor, but cannot figure out what you mean by "32 class, 20class" ecc.

Thanks beforehand for your help
Don
Don^Cas is offline Find More Posts by Don^Cas
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2008, 03:19 PM
President @ Hemet Model Master
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Oct 2006
523 Posts
For the Otter I went with VMAR stock and their are just right......
huggie9999 is offline Find More Posts by huggie9999
Old Dec 26, 2008, 03:42 PM
Joined Dec 2008
2 Posts
Thanks for your reply Huggie, however there are no VMAR resellers localy and ebay does not have any VMAR motors on it

What we have here are Thunder Tiger, DualSky, Hacker, Ripmax, and the dreaded "RC Smart" ... altho even the shop owner warns you that they have a high failure rate!

I searched around the forum and found a helpfull thread about the Otter suggesting 110w of power so will start with that... but can't find the Robbe motors the author of thread used locally.

As for the Deuces I still have no Idea

PS huggie, would you reccomend the otter as a trainer for twin setups?
Don^Cas is offline Find More Posts by Don^Cas
Old Dec 26, 2008, 05:11 PM
I havent decided yet
Indiana
Joined Jun 2006
2,120 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836444
here is everything you need to know about the Deuces
dmiller746 is offline Find More Posts by dmiller746
Old Dec 26, 2008, 08:24 PM
President @ Hemet Model Master
United States, CA, Hemet
Joined Oct 2006
523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don^Cas
Thanks for your reply Huggie, however there are no VMAR resellers localy and ebay does not have any VMAR motors on it

What we have here are Thunder Tiger, DualSky, Hacker, Ripmax, and the dreaded "RC Smart" ... altho even the shop owner warns you that they have a high failure rate!

I searched around the forum and found a helpfull thread about the Otter suggesting 110w of power so will start with that... but can't find the Robbe motors the author of thread used locally.

As for the Deuces I still have no Idea

PS huggie, would you reccomend the otter as a trainer for twin setups?

Yes it's very nice and slow. Here is the VMAR web site in North America.
http://www.richmondrc.com/
huggie9999 is offline Find More Posts by huggie9999
Old Jan 29, 2009, 11:04 AM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,384 Posts
Have you flown the Otter yet? I'm putting the VMAR Otter together right now. Almost ready for the maiden. See my blog for the details.
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer