HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2003, 02:58 PM
Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
850 Posts
Good Slope Site in So. Cal. (near Burbank/Pasadena/Glendale...)

Hi,

I had a passing interest in sailplanes approx. 10 years ago and am looking to really pursue the hobby now. At that time I learned of a cool slope site across the valley and above the train tracks east of Dodger stadium. I think that site is no longer open but I'm wondering if there are others in the general area or closer to the San Gabriel foothills (Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena/La Crescenta/Sunland, etc.) I found a great page that lists and even rates some SoCal sites but unfortunately for me none of them is really close by. Closest sites are at the beach which is an 1.5+ hour drive for me. (Fine for the weekends, but lousy during the week.)

Flying Sites in Southern and Central California for RC Slope Soaring

At this point I would actually prefer sites that are busy to allow me to to get as much exposure to the hobby as I can. I figure the greater variety of planes I see and flyers I meet the quicker I learn and hopefully I'll be successfully flying myself soon.

Also, any good LHS' around L.A. that carry sailplanes?

Thanks for any clues!

Jason
cobalt is offline Find More Posts by cobalt
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2003, 03:10 PM
Cedar Park, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,436 Posts
Temple Hill in Pamona is probably your best bet.

Directions here: http://home.earthlink.net/~windrider007/directions.html
McGrrr is offline Find More Posts by McGrrr
Last edited by McGrrr; Mar 04, 2003 at 03:13 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2003, 03:47 PM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
here is a sight with lots of sights in cal.

http://www.extreme-products.com/cgi/...s=View+Records
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Mar 04, 2003, 05:23 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Hey Jason, welcome to the Ezone...or LiftZone...

If you’re looking for consistent conditions and other fliers, Temple Hill and Temescal Canyon are probably your best bets. Unfortunately niether of them are a real easy drive from the Burbank area during the week (unless you own a hover car). Temescal always seems to have a variety of planes and pilots and is really a pretty fun site.

I’m sure there are tons of flying spots along the San Gabriels, but most of them are unrealized. I’ve got a couple fun “secret spots,” but conditions are very challenging, landing areas are non-existent, and chances of recovering a downed airplane are low. Plus, they all require a pretty good climb with generous doses of bushwhacking – I think I pulled about 50 ticks off me last year

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Mar 06, 2003, 03:58 PM
Joined Sep 2001
83 Posts
Hey Cobalt,
The site you refer too is on top of Mt Washington and is still flyable on most days. There have been many homes built on the ridge but there is still a large enough opening to fly. There is an area to park on top although new NO PARKING signs have been installed they were put there to keep the partiers away and the local LAPD will not hassle you. There are a group of us 5 to 10 who fly here every day (foamies mostly) it is a great slope about 2pm on daily. If you need directions let me know.
flyinryan is offline Find More Posts by flyinryan
Old Mar 06, 2003, 04:24 PM
Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
850 Posts
Thanks everybody!!

Great forum....

Jason
cobalt is offline Find More Posts by cobalt
Old Mar 06, 2003, 06:40 PM
Pasadena
Joined Oct 2001
343 Posts
Directions

Ryan,

How do you get there from Pasadena?
Do you just fly wings there or is the lift good enough for something bigger.
How is the landing area?
Waxer is offline Find More Posts by Waxer