SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 25, 2008, 03:10 PM
Kuopio, Finland
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
Build Log
Sig Riser (2m) E-power full house

Hi!

This is my first post on rcgroups, my first public build log AND my first kit build, although I have recently built two balsa models from scratch. Bass-ackwards, eh? Anyway, this won't be a stock Riser either. In addition to the spoiler option, I'm going to add a brushless motor system, ailerons and flaps. I know that the Riser wouldn't need ailerons and flaps, but I'll build them all because I can, or, more accurately, to see if I can.

Anyway, I've already built the tail feathers. I omitted the forward part of the rudder. Here are some pictures, and more will follow.

Aki Pursiainen (kepa)
Kuopio, Finland
kepa is offline Find More Posts by kepa
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2008, 03:27 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Kepa,

Your gonna love this plane. I built one last summer. I also modified the rudder. I added some cool looking wing tips, and stab tips to match. I also did a small sub-rudder. It flies great. I used an AXI motor and 2100 3S LiPo. Here's a shot for ya.
Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Bob Cook; Dec 25, 2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 05:35 PM
KI4UBK
USA, NC, Old Fort
Joined Nov 2007
267 Posts
Hey Kepa, I don't think you can go wrong with the Risers. I build the 100 first with servos on the spoilers and liked it so well that I built the 78". Both are great planes to work thermals. Here are mine. Dave KI4UBK
Lockley is offline Find More Posts by Lockley
Old Dec 25, 2008, 09:01 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Good thread! I've had a Riser kit for years and almost sold it several times.

Now I know I'll keep it and make it an e-Riser with flaps.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Dec 26, 2008, 12:14 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
I will be watching. I built one this past spring and flew it all summer. I love it. I did the standard rudder mod and I reinforced the wing joints with a little carbon. It made the wing very strong with almost no weight penalty. Here is a shot of mine.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Dec 26, 2008, 05:41 AM
Kuopio, Finland
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
I started the fuselage last night. There are some minor modifications. I'm going to install a firewall some cm:s inward from the original front former and then cut the nose off to use as a removable motor cowl. The tip of the nose needs to be modified a bit to fit flush with my spinner.

I moved the wing attachment dowels down half a centimeter so that there's a bit of plywood doubler above them instead of just balsa, and added a little extra plywood for the rear dowel. I also added small strips of plywood at the tail just in front of the stab, as I had read that it might be a weak spot on the Riser.

BTW I'm using CA and epoxy as indicated on the instructions. I'm doing this by the book, except when I'm not...
Old Dec 26, 2008, 08:06 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepa
Hi!

This is my first post on rcgroups, my first public build log AND my first kit build, although I have recently built two balsa models from scratch. Bass-ackwards, eh? Anyway, this won't be a stock Riser either. In addition to the spoiler option, I'm going to add a brushless motor system, ailerons and flaps. I know that the Riser wouldn't need ailerons and flaps, but I'll build them all because I can, or, more accurately, to see if I can.

Anyway, I've already built the tail feathers. I omitted the forward part of the rudder. Here are some pictures, and more will follow.

Aki Pursiainen (kepa)
Kuopio, Finland
The grain orientation on that gusset looks weak. I would put another with the grain running NW to SE...

AJ
solo6796 is offline Find More Posts by solo6796
Old Dec 29, 2008, 09:45 AM
Kuopio, Finland
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo6796
The grain orientation on that gusset looks weak. I would put another with the grain running NW to SE...
Thanks AJ, good catch. I KNOW which way the grain should have gone, and of course I put it the wrong way. So, instead of lightness, I had to add more weight to the tail in the form of an extra brace.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 03:57 PM
Kuopio, Finland
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
OK, after the rudder fix I moved on with the fuselage. I glued two of the formers and the tail end according to plan, but the nose needed some modifications. I drilled a hole through the front former since this will be the front end of my cowl, and made a firewall which I mounted about 3.5 cm behind the front former. This is enough space for my el-cheapo Chinese outrunner which should, with a 9x5 prop and a 1700mAh 3S LiPo, give me about 800g of thrust. I don't have a slightest idea about the final weight yet, but if it doesn't fly, I'll add more power.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 04:36 PM
Levin, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2008
159 Posts
What motors in your gliders?

Lockley,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockley
Hey Kepa, I don't think you can go wrong with the Risers. I build the 100 first with servos on the spoilers and liked it so well that I built the 78". Both are great planes to work thermals. Here are mine. Dave KI4UBK
I've got a 3/4 finished riser 100", and a 2m spirit, both of which i'm keen to convert to e-gliders. What motor is in yor gliders
dwalk is offline Find More Posts by dwalk
Old Dec 30, 2008, 05:33 PM
KI4UBK
USA, NC, Old Fort
Joined Nov 2007
267 Posts
Hi Walk, I use a 22-20 KDA with a 11-6 prop in the Riser 100 and a 22-15 KDA with a 9.5-8 in the Riser 78" these props may could be adjusted a little but the climbs are a good fourty degrees or better. Hey with a Riser you only need to climb with power once, right? Dave
Lockley is offline Find More Posts by Lockley
Last edited by Lockley; Dec 30, 2008 at 07:18 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2009, 05:02 AM
Kuopio, Finland
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
After recovering from New Year, I had a decent building day yesterday. I sheeted the bottom of the fuselage and then had to figure out a way for mounting the servos. I didn't have suitable pieces of hardwood, so I made a sandwich structure: 10x2mm pine, 10x5mm balsa and another piece of pine on top. I glued the rear rail in place and added some balsa around it. The front rail itself is not glued but is kept in place by pieces of balsa. The balsa in front of it is not fully glued, only at the bottom. I hope this is good enough to keep the servos in place but makes it easy to some day remove them.

If you are wondering about two differend kind of servos, that's because my radio setup is based on an RTF plane I have and the servo reversing switches are hard to reach on the transmitter, and I figured it would be better to not have to fiddle with my radio while flying different planes (no computer radio yet). I had to pick two servos with different directions of rotation to keep this principle.

I hope these 9g micro servos are powerful enough for the Riser. These are what I had and decided to give them a try here.

After having the servos in place I installed the push rod guides and then sheeted the top of the fuselage.

Now that there's not much left to do on the fuselage (front top, hatch, sawing off the cowl part and making something to keep it in place), I'll have to figure out some things I plan to do with the wings. I'll be using one servo per moving surface on the wing, so that'll be three servos per side of wing, or six in total...

So, how would YOU mount spoiler, flap and aileron (micro) servos on the 78" Riser wing?
Old Jan 09, 2009, 12:17 PM
Kuopio, Finland
Joined Nov 2008
343 Posts
I got the fuselage ready! Well, almost. Some cosmetic sanding still needs to be done.

The nose cowl is held in place by some plywood lips and fingers and two small sheet metal screws. You can see these in the attached pictures.

There's also a picture of my BL motor, ESC, battery and prop.
The motor is this one:
http://www.r2hobbies.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcps81531
and the 20A ESC and 1700mAh 3S LiPo are from the same dealer.
The propeller is a combination of a cheap Chinese hub and Graupner 9x5 blades. This combination will (should) give me 780g of static thrust, which should be enough for the Riser.

And now I'll do some head scratching about the wings...
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:21 PM
Who said Kiwi's can't fly!
Hawkes Bay , New Zealand
Joined Feb 2008
900 Posts
Im watching this thread with interest as I have a 2/3 built riser im considering putting ailerons on and a brushless in the nose.. ( a 22-20L same as ive put in my Wanderer)
gd luck with it.. BTW the 22-20L will send the Wanderer vertical with a 9x5 prop, basically about a 12 second motor run then power off and glide , I can keep it up for ages with the 1800 lipo ( best flight after a 12 second run was 55 mins) ....currently im using a 8x4.5 folder which still has a great climb rate..
Grant.
Grunta5 is offline Find More Posts by Grunta5
Old Jan 11, 2009, 04:58 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
What do you plan to do with the wing in respect too the dihedral angles?Ailerons don't tend to play well with poly wings,are you going to make the wing near flat?
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1