Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio

Hobbyzone Mini Super Cub RTF Review

Tommy D Reviews the New "Mini" version of the Hobbyzone Mini Super Cub RTF. A smaller version of the already successful Super Cub series featuring "Anti-Crash" technology.

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan:31.75"
Wing Area:150 square inches
Wing Loading:6.7 oz.
Weight:7oz.
Length:21.5"
Servos:Supplied
Transmitter:Supplied TX
Receiver:Supplied TX/ESC
Battery:2S 300MA LiPo
Motor:Brushed 180
Manufacturer:Hobbyzone
Available From:Horizon Hobby
Retail Price:$119.99

One morning when I was a child in the early 1970s, I awoke to my most Magical Christmas. Among other presents, was a Mattel Super Star electric airplane. I could have not been more thrilled! Well, we have come a LONG way baby! With Hobbyzoneís recent release of the Mini Super Cub, I wonder how many children, both young and old, will feel that same thrill that I did? With its Anti-Crash Technology and easy to fly characteristics, the Super Cub will outlast my old Mattel Super Star by a LONG shot! But if you do crash, the Mini Super Cub is made out of the same Durable Z-Foam construction as its bigger brother.

Kit Contents

Kit Contains:

• Fully Assembled airframe with 1 piece wing and pre-installed electronics
  • Geared 180 motor installed, spare propeller included as well
  • Proportional 3-channel FM transmitter & batteries
  • 2-cell 7.4V 300mAh Li-Po battery with 2-cell DC Li-Po charger and AC adapter
  • Learn to Fly DVD with assembly instructions, quick start guide, and everything necessary to get you in the air fast!

Assembly

Charge the Battery

Because the Mini Super Cub assembles so quickly I would recommend charging the battery first. The battery included is a 2 cell <2s> 300ma LiPo. For those not familiar with the care and use of LiPo batteries I would suggest you read the RC Groups LiPo guide found in the battery section.

Carefully connect the balance leads of the battery to the balance charger. The connection is keyed and will only go one way, so do not force it!

The Hobbyzone charger is designed to work off a 12V automotive style cigarette receptacle. However, for charging indoors they have included an adapter to work off 110V as well. This is a simple to use charger that stops flashing once the battery is charged.

As a bit of added insurance, whenever I charge a LiPo pack in my home I do so inside a Liposack If you don't already own one, I highly recommend you purchase one.

Wing

The Hobbyzone Super Cub wing is a strong laminated foam wing. With a decent under camber but I don't think this model will see much inverted flight! To assemble the wing, simply rubber band it down onto the fuse using 4 of the 5 supplied rubber bands. Just make sure the wing is centered and properly aligned in its saddle.

Fuselage

Hobbyzone employs Z foam in the fuse construction. This type of foam has great crash resistance and is a perfect match for any trainer. Press the main landing gear straight down into the fuse to assemble. It should be a snug fit. Take note that the battery slides forward near that landing gear. The gear should be assembled with the battery OUT of the model.

Tail

Both the horizontal and vertical stabilizers come pre-assembled onto the fuse. Notice if the control surfaces are straight, and if not, make a mental note and do not adjust them at this time. If they are straight, make sure the thumb adjustment screws are tight. The tail wheel snaps into the fuse with a gentle rearward push.

Radio Installation

Insert the supplied batteries into the rear on the TX. Also at this time make sure your TX has the mode setting that you are familiar with. (If you're in the USA like me you will select mode 2.) Hobbyzone has also provided a red ribbon to attach to your TX antenna, your own personal wind sock.

Completion

You would be hard pressed to find another model that goes together as quickly, and more importantly, as easily as this one. At this time I would advise you watch the CD or read all material included with the model to insure you have a happy first flying experience with the model.

Flying

Before your first flight, make sure your control surfaces move correctly. If you had made a note before that your control surfaces were not in alignment, check them now. Turn on the TX first, then connect your battery, making 100% certain that it is connected correctly. Once the battery is connected, the servos and control surfaces should be centered.

Taking Off and Landing

Without a steerable tail wheel, I chose to hand launch the Mini Super Cub. My model flew right off at full throttle. What a sweet flying little model this is! With light input on the sticks and 50% throttle she just puttered along in a very graceful pattern. At higher throttle settings the model would climb some, but nothing unexpected. I'm sure my smile was from ear to ear and the same goes for the kids who stopped playing hockey at the local schoolyard to watch the little Super Cub take flight. Mattel, eat your heart out!

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

Once I got home I could not resist increasing the control surfaces. It only takes a few seconds to do with the thumbscrew... nice touch, Hobbyzone. With the increased throw, the little Super Cub is a lot more maneuverable. With the manual deactivation of the ACT, this is the perfect before/after work parking lot model. I would suggest though that you master the flying ability with the ACT on first. The little Cub is surprisingly quick and will perform consecutive loops with ease. With some practice, it will rudder roll. I would only suggest inverted flight if you have moved the elevator control to the innermost hole on the horn.

Is This For a Beginner?

Absolutely this is for a Beginner. I can't think of a more perfect little fair weather flyer. With some simple instruction from a seasoned vet or even just some simulator time, this model just about guarantees success. Don't forget about the ACT feature to keep new pilots out of trouble as well

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Downloads

Conclusion

Hobbyzone has done well. This sharp looking model has done everything as advertised. Even the included balance charger keeps the lipo balanced very well when I inspected it periodically with my high end chargers. This setup is an excellent dollar value in my opinion. In typical Hobbyzone fashion, if something does break replacement parts are readily available. If you're an RC Dad and you're wondering what to buy a child who hungers for more than his Aero Ace, look no further!

Pluses:

• Easy to assemble
  • Works as advertised right out of the box
  • Hobbyzone/Horizon Hobby's top notch support

Minuses:

• Spring loaded throttle can be tiresome at first

Last edited by Angela H; Feb 02, 2009 at 05:16 AM..

Discussion

Old Feb 09, 2009, 06:22 AM
Where'd my money go?
VA
Joined Jun 2008
577 Posts
Very nice and thourough review! Looks great in the air!
rawr404 is offline Find More Posts by rawr404
Old Feb 09, 2009, 07:56 AM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Nice review... Pretty neat airplane! The original HZ Super Cub was an instant classic so its not a surprise that a plane with a nearly identical shape would fly great.

The only reason that I don't own one is that price tag. It seems like a lot of cash for a pretty modest airplane.

How hard would it be to buy a bare airframe and to use an inexpensive Hobbycity outrunner?
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:32 AM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Thanks for the review, Tim, it was good stuff!

I started flying with the original Super Cub, and I couldn't have asked for a better plane. Today, I'd probably buy this instead.

I take it's a brushed motor? I do wish they made a PNP ó or, better yet, a BNF ó version of it...
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94
Old Feb 09, 2009, 08:41 AM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
Tim: Nice review! As a plane marketed towards a beginner, it might be good to show the takeoff and landing personality of this plane. Any chance of uploading your video review of those topics?
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Feb 09, 2009, 09:50 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38

How hard would it be to buy a bare airframe and to use an inexpensive Hobbycity outrunner?
Keep the components small! With an all-in-one board <RX/ESC/Servos> it would be hard to duplicate the same functions for the same weight.

The only limitation is your imagination!

Thanks for the kind words.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Feb 09, 2009, 09:52 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spackles94
I take it's a brushed motor?
Yes, brushed and geared motor. Quite stout as it has survived quite a few face plants!

Tommy D
Old Feb 09, 2009, 09:55 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay
Any chance of uploading your video review of those topics?
Ill see what I can find. Video was limited as to what we collected on a dark but fairly windless day. The weather has been very poor this winter here in NY for any sort of flying much less trying to shoot video!

I can assure you it hand launches with a gentle toss and landings are a non issue.

Tommy D
Last edited by Tommy D; Feb 09, 2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2009, 10:15 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,182 Posts
That looks like a fun little trainer!
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Feb 09, 2009, 01:33 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,934 Posts
^Or a sunday afternoon relaxer inside the gym Excellent review Tommy D!

I wonder what it would take to add ailerons to it.. Looks like it would need to be gutted completely of the stock electronics. Flies nicely though.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Feb 09, 2009, 02:22 PM
Joined Jan 2007
81 Posts
I just assembled one from bare parts with a little outrunner and S185 servo's. I have to say that the big super cub is easier to fly, this little one tends to snap on moderate turns. I thought i might be able to fly it indoors but not stable enough.

Mike
Huntermd14 is offline Find More Posts by Huntermd14
Old Feb 09, 2009, 02:25 PM
Joined Jan 2007
81 Posts
Almost forgot, i did add weight to the nose, helped a little but still not what i expected.
Huntermd14 is offline Find More Posts by Huntermd14
Old Feb 09, 2009, 02:52 PM View Post
jpwkeeper
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. It is temporarily hidden while jpwkeeper edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Feb 09, 2009, 05:02 PM
12 year old flyer :p
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2008
370 Posts
Thanks! I was waiting for this one.
Zett-Vampyre is offline Find More Posts by Zett-Vampyre
Old Feb 09, 2009, 06:26 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
^Or a sunday afternoon relaxer inside the gym
Youíre a better man then I if you can fly this little model in a {small} gym! Itís a great little small field flyer, but I think there are better choices for indoor flight.

Now go ahead and prove me wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
That looks like a fun little trainer!
It really is! In a hobby where we are constantly going bigger and faster, sometimes itís nice to be reminded of our roots. I can honestly say this model puts a smile on my face every time I fly it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zett-Vampyre
Thanks! I was waiting for this one.
You bet! I hope it helped some.

Iím going to include a slightly longer video tonight. Hopefully it will show how easy this little Super Cub is to fly. The model just put puts around at zero mistakes high once you get the hang of it.

Tommy D