HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2003, 11:05 AM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,297 Posts
Which Li-Poly pack for a Tiger Moth ?

Considering the purchase of a Li Poly pack for my stock GWS Tiger Moth. Right now I'm using a 7x300 GP Nimh pack. What are you folks using in your Moths, and where to purchase them ?

Thanks

Al
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Last edited by Al P; Mar 04, 2003 at 11:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2003, 11:24 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Al,
Hmm...seem to be spending time in all the same places . My brother and I are both having great success with 2S 1020 Kokams, for under $20.00 you can build yourself a pack that will give 60 min flight times, and lose a little weight. My brother is flying his in his TM and I have them in my SR Bantam Bipe. I got mine from Troy at www.b-p-p.com He is a nice guy and offers great service.

Cheers again,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Mar 04, 2003, 11:32 AM
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,297 Posts
Hi Jim, and thanks again !

Yeah.....it's snowing and blowing out. I have to go outside eventually, but putting it off. Thanks for the suggestions, and I agree about Troy. I checked his website earlier and unfortunately he has lost a family member. Sorry to hear that Troy. I'll check back with you at a later date.

Best to all

Al
Old Mar 04, 2003, 12:19 PM
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
276 Posts
I'm using a 830mAh pack from http://www.lightflightrc.com -- it fits in the Tiger Moth's battery compartment with no need to hack foam or make CG adjustments. And, I can easily fly for 45+ minutes on it. Battery is less than $20.

You'll get more runtime from the Kokams, but you have alter your plane to use them.
anixs is offline Find More Posts by anixs
Old Mar 04, 2003, 02:45 PM
Certified Slopehead
San Diego, CA.
Joined Jan 2001
2,268 Posts
Thanks for the tip anixs....I just ordered one of the 830 li-ions from them. You're really getting 45 minute flight times? With what kind of throttle management? I bought a similar pack at the MWE a few weeks ago and charged it, then bench ran it and now I'm getting short 3-5 minute "burst" runs, then have to land, then do it again,etc....I've since changed the motor out for a new one, so I'm hoping a new pack will solve my problems. Did you charge it before you ran it the first time or does it come charged?
tenover is offline Find More Posts by tenover
Old Mar 04, 2003, 02:51 PM
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,297 Posts
Thanks for the tip anixs, but the 830 appears to be Li-ion not Li poly. I am trying to stay away from the li-ion and the dangers associated with them. I understand the li-poly packs are much safer.

Al
Old Mar 05, 2003, 05:43 PM
Edmonton, AB, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
276 Posts
tenover,

I usually fly the moth at full throttle. A friend and I went to the field armed with two 830 packs, and we left 2 hours later (all of that time spent flying). The packs come precharged. I love them! We were flying -5 C weather, I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Unfortunately that specific pack is not useful in anything bigger than an IPS-A motor running a 9x7 or 10x4.8 prop. That means it's perfect for the moth.

Al,

Good point -- they are LiIon. No problems so far, however.
anixs is offline Find More Posts by anixs