HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:02 PM
Adelaide,South Australia
Joined Jul 2003
1,134 Posts
Discussion
10r/marblehead hatches?

i have a boat i bought a few years back for $1k Au...its CF hull, 2 sail sets, RMG smart winch etc...

it came with the hull hatches covered in adhesive backed waterproof fabreic that i used initially but as i need to access the battery hatch often it became a real pita.

does anyone know where i can get hull hatch covers?- or links on how to make them?
what_the?! is offline Find More Posts by what_the?!
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2008, 05:29 AM
Scotland
Joined Oct 2004
2,459 Posts
Just buy more sticky backed plastic. Its called "Fablon" here in the UK.
For the battery hatch, I use a screw top tub, glued into the deck. Just unscrew the top and change the battery.
rcminiman is offline Find More Posts by rcminiman
Old Dec 25, 2008, 02:55 PM
Adelaide,South Australia
Joined Jul 2003
1,134 Posts
hey rcminiman..good idea! thanks!
what_the?! is offline Find More Posts by what_the?!
Old Dec 25, 2008, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2006
591 Posts
Is the US, Dacron with adhesive is used. I buy it from the sail makers who use it to make the numbers on real sails. About $15/yard.

For the radio pots I use a small screw top from rubber maid, 4 of them for $3.50. They also have a flange so you can screw them down. Better than the ones from Bantock.

John
slotracer577 is online now Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Dec 26, 2008, 04:43 AM
Broughty Ferry, Dundee, Scotland
Joined Feb 2006
127 Posts
I'm sure any sailmaker will part with the offcuts from cutting out numbers, for nothing, or just the offer of a stubby or two. Every time they cut out the centre of a number then the cut out goes into the garbage. Give them a try, there must be a sailmaker in Adelaide. You may be limited to blue, black or red.
If you are carefull, then it can be re-applied many times before needing replaced. Best to cut out templates to suit the individual deck cutouts. It makes replacement very quick, and you can keep spares, ready to go, in your toolbox.
'Fablon' or similar was mentioned, but it is a thin plastic film which is susceptable to being split open by contact with the boom of a competing yacht when in close 'combat' during a race. I saw a very nice home built wooden IOM sink rather rapidly after such an event on a windy day at Aberdeen. It was on the bottom for over six months before the reservoir was drained for maintenance, but had been written off by the insurance by then. It was still in sailable condition, except for the replacement of the electrics, and a good scrub of the sails. A twist to the 'Buy (build) one, get one free'. The insurance came across with a brand new Bantock 'Italico'. Lucky chap.

Cheers

Ralph
isisagoodun is offline Find More Posts by isisagoodun
Last edited by isisagoodun; Dec 26, 2008 at 03:21 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:20 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,271 Posts
Hang-em High Kite Shop ( currently closed for Holiday season) sells 5" x 5" sticky backed Dacron (also called Insignia cloth) for $1.00 each (U.S.) and no minimum.

Many different colors to choose from The Kite Studio also sells this stuff - runs $16.25 a yard and you can mix and match. They also sell small quantities for $1.00 - but those colors are limited.

You can see their colors by going here: Kite Studio (USA)
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 06:18 AM
Do anything for a Mach 1
Haiku, Hawaii
Joined Mar 2003
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcminiman
Just buy more sticky backed plastic. Its called "Fablon" here in the UK.
For the battery hatch, I use a screw top tub, glued into the deck. Just unscrew the top and change the battery.
Watch out for Fablon getting brittle or coming unstuck in winter with cold temps. I've seen to many boats sink due to this.

Self adhesive dacron is way more reliable in cold weather.
jonoknight is offline Find More Posts by jonoknight