HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:03 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,050 Posts
I think in the end we will buy and fly what we want.

My issue was that you said the AXN had no major advantages. Forget cost for a moment. Put the two models next to each other. One is brushless, one is not. One is 4 channel and one is 3. One model clearly has more features out of the box.

I'm sorry if the price didn't work out for you, really I am.

Kindest Regards

Tommy D

P.S. My AXN will be flown at night. The white wing will illuminate a lot better then the Easy's blue, or gray one. So that was also another reason for my purchase.
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2009, 12:37 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
One model clearly has more features out of the box.
Yep: the Easy Star.

BL motor & ailerons just aren't among those features.
Brian_ is offline Find More Posts by Brian_
Old Feb 25, 2009, 03:31 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Thread Content

Hey guys -
I think we have beat this EZ-AXN-Clouds comparison to death. The input has been entertaining. But, I wonder if we can get back to the focus of this thread? -> "AXN Floater-Jet (aka Cloud Fly)"
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 25, 2009, 03:47 PM
Austin, TX, 78746
Joined Nov 2008
292 Posts
I have my new AXN floater all ready to go as soon as we get the right wind conditions. I had to hinge the elevator because it practically fell off after I started trying to loosen it up and gave it a powered test gide.

I have a Secktrum DXi6 and i set the ailerons to also work as flaps. Its my 1st attempt at 4 channel flight with ailerons so i am being extra careful and waiting on the right conditions. it does but its going to be really fast.
Has anyone on this board flown one yet?
donaldrtaylor is offline Find More Posts by donaldrtaylor
Old Feb 25, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,050 Posts
Quick question to the ANX owners

The decals.... how easy will it be to peel them off? I'm looking to remove them. If the foam is anyhing like Elapor, nothing likes to stick to it very much. My hope is they will come right off with a little tug.

Thanks!

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Feb 25, 2009, 06:14 PM
Austin, TX, 78746
Joined Nov 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D
Quick question to the ANX owners

The decals.... how easy will it be to peel them off? I'm looking to remove them. If the foam is anyhing like Elapor, nothing likes to stick to it very much. My hope is they will come right off with a little tug.

Thanks!

Tommy D
The finish is much smoother than any foam airplane i have had. it's like glass. The decals will be a little harder to get off because of that
Old Feb 25, 2009, 08:46 PM
West Texas USA
Joined Mar 2008
662 Posts
donaldrtaylor

I have flown my Floater Jet about 7 or 8 times in 10-12 mph wind. It flies well with a 3S 2200MAh up front. I can cruise at about half throttle for about 30 minutes, maybe more. I will try programming the DX7 for flaps. If you are transitioning from 3-channel you can mix the rudder and aileron and the plane is very easy to launch and control, even in the wind.
garymcc is offline Find More Posts by garymcc
Old Feb 25, 2009, 09:30 PM
Austin, TX, 78746
Joined Nov 2008
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymcc
I have flown my Floater Jet about 7 or 8 times in 10-12 mph wind. It flies well with a 3S 2200MAh up front. I can cruise at about half throttle for about 30 minutes, maybe more. I will try programming the DX7 for flaps. If you are transitioning from 3-channel you can mix the rudder and aileron and the plane is very easy to launch and control, even in the wind.
I did do the mix with aileron & rudder since this is my first try with ailerons. I haven't tried it yet.
which should be in the lead position and move the most? ( relative to the other)
Thanks for you help
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:09 PM
NM83
Joined Jul 2006
232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldrtaylor
I have my new AXN floater all ready to go as soon as we get the right wind conditions. I had to hinge the elevator because it practically fell off after I started trying to loosen it up and gave it a powered test gide.

I have a Secktrum DXi6 and i set the ailerons to also work as flaps. Its my 1st attempt at 4 channel flight with ailerons so i am being extra careful and waiting on the right conditions. it does but its going to be really fast.
I got to fly the maiden encore on a club member's Floater-Jet yesterday in 12-15 mph winds. Balances ok (25% mac) with a Zippy 3s*2200 on edge and as far aft as possible. Balance would be about 30% mac with a Zippy 3s*1300 installed on edge and shoved as far forward as possible. That might fly ok, but it'll wait for a calmer day to test.

Wattmeter showed !8.8 amps WOT on 10.85 volts for 204 watts with the supplied propeller, so this thing is not underpowered. Half throttle position was 10.4 amps, resulting in a moderate pull with the onset of a noticeable nose-down pitching moment, and that's where I let 'er fly. Let go into a nice headwind, nose just above the horizon, with a medium-speed warm-up pitch, and it wanted a little up elevator to correct a little sag, but flew out just fine.

From trimmed, stable level flight at half throttle, adding power smoothly (over a two-count) to WOT needeed a substantial elevator correction to compensate for a tendency to pitch down. It accellerated out nicely and transitioned to a shallow climb (10-15 degree slope) without re-trimming. Angle for best rate of climb seemed to be about 50-55 degrees. It'll go much steeper, but not sustain vertical, and climb rate decreases dramatically at steeper angles.

It maneuvers adequately with stock control throws at any flying speed. Roll authority with full aileron is more appropriate to a mild aileron trainer than any kind of aerobat. It likes a litlle rudder to coordinate turns when flying slowly, but needs no rudder in turns with a cozy margin of speed on. Pitch authoritiy will get it over the top of a loop only if speed is maintained on the up side and power is reduced subtantially over the top. Stability in the roll axis is a little negative, inverted, but it's happy there with a little power left on to aid the pitching moment.

Because of its higher wing loading, the Floater-Jet is never going to fly as slowly as the Easy Star on as little power, or thermal as well. It's not a good choice for AP or FPV, because there's no place to put that stuff and not enough wing area to carry it. I see no reason to believe it'll be any more or less durable than the Easy. My Easy Star (Turnigy 2835-2200, Turnigy Plush 25-amp esc) APC 5.5X4.5 prop, Zippy 3S*2200 lipo) will launch and land out of a smaller area, out-climb the Floater-Jet, fly as fast or faster and penetrate headwinds as well, and get nearly 25% more duration out of the same battery. (During this test, the Floater-Jet drew 1660mah from the battery. My Easy Star, flown in chase by another pilot for comparison, used 1280mah).

Is the Easy Star better than the Floater-Jet? Depends on what you're after. Either one fills the niche of a reasonbly compact, lives-in-the-car, take/fly anywhere/anytime value investment. The Floater-Jet is sleeker, slicker, and prettier, and it isn't an Easy Star. The Easy Star is a great conversation starter among folk who've never seen an electric park flyer/motorized glider. The Floater-Jet will attract a crowd at an Easy Star fun-fly.

There's been some really fuzzy math posted in this thread. I'm an experienced shopper, and I guarantee you that I can't put together a brushless Easy Star with ailerons for less outlay of either time or money than I can bring a Floater-Jet in from Hong Kong and get it flying. Feel free to PM me if you disagree, but this forum has seen enough of that argument.

I like the Floater-Jet, but I won't be trading my Easy Star for a Floater-Jet because it does everything I need it to, I know it well, and I know where to get reasonably priced replacement parts fast if I fly that sucker through a mesquite bush at 70 mph.
NoNugget is offline Find More Posts by NoNugget
Last edited by NoNugget; Feb 25, 2009 at 11:21 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 11:16 PM
NM83
Joined Jul 2006
232 Posts
Quote:
I did do the mix with aileron & rudder since this is my first try with ailerons. I haven't tried it yet.
which should be in the lead position and move the most? ( relative to the other)
Thanks for you help
IMO, you'll have no difficulty flying this without mixing aileron and rudder, and you'll learn more, faster, better without it. When you're ready to mix, you'll want the rudder to follow the ailerons. Start with 10-15 % rudder at full aileron throw, and up that in no larger than 10% increments until you like the way it turns.
NoNugget is offline Find More Posts by NoNugget
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:27 AM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
948 Posts
My ANX Floater was ordered a week ago from Hobby City (King) before finding this discussion. This is my 1st HC order, but I did buy the Lander F9F Panther from Philip last Fall, and he does great packaging of everything in the box so that it is UPS proof. We are very fortunate to have the choice for either of these 2 suppliers.
I notice the very loud whine from the motor....does the plane also have a high frequency vibration? Any of my previous similar whiney motors ment the outer rotating shell was out of balance. After doing a rebalance the motor would be very quite and produce a noticeable increase in power. On the other hand, I do notice that the motor pylon has a very flat base that will cause a lot of air turbulance striking the prop blade. That and the flexible prop mounting might also be a noise generator/power robber.
I have some folding props that I want to try. Other refinments are to move the prop rearward a little and stream-line the pylon bottom. The Cox Christan Eagle has the same plastic and self-hinge; there are now reports of hinge failures. I plan to cut mine free and use a hinge tape for an easy flex sealed joint.
My primary use for this plane is to mount a mini color video camera in front of the pylon and use my goggle style video receiver for flying it. Lst year I tried a similar plane named the Hawk from Harbor Freight. The "Superman" viewing is great, but the eppy type foam was too flexible even tape stiffened. The rigid Floater should be more stable.
A problem to be resolved is the down pitch common to all pylon motor mounts when applying power.
I do intend to weigh the shipped package to see if it in fact is what HC says it is. The F9F Panther cost about half for shipping from Philip. That should answer if HC is skimming off a little extra profit or not.
Jim Petro is online now Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Old Feb 26, 2009, 01:48 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Petro
My ANX Floater was ordered a week ago from Hobby City (King) before finding this discussion. This is my 1st HC order, but I did buy the Lander F9F Panther from Philip last Fall, and he does great packaging of everything in the box so that it is UPS proof. We are very fortunate to have the choice for either of these 2 suppliers.
I notice the very loud whine from the motor....does the plane also have a high frequency vibration? Any of my previous similar whiney motors ment the outer rotating shell was out of balance. After doing a rebalance the motor would be very quite and produce a noticeable increase in power. On the other hand, I do notice that the motor pylon has a very flat base that will cause a lot of air turbulance striking the prop blade. That and the flexible prop mounting might also be a noise generator/power robber.
I have some folding props that I want to try. Other refinments are to move the prop rearward a little and stream-line the pylon bottom. The Cox Christan Eagle has the same plastic and self-hinge; there are now reports of hinge failures. I plan to cut mine free and use a hinge tape for an easy flex sealed joint.
My primary use for this plane is to mount a mini color video camera in front of the pylon and use my goggle style video receiver for flying it. Lst year I tried a similar plane named the Hawk from Harbor Freight. The "Superman" viewing is great, but the eppy type foam was too flexible even tape stiffened. The rigid Floater should be more stable.
A problem to be resolved is the down pitch common to all pylon motor mounts when applying power.
I do intend to weigh the shipped package to see if it in fact is what HC says it is. The F9F Panther cost about half for shipping from Philip. That should answer if HC is skimming off a little extra profit or not.
I have to ask a silly question. Did you balance the prop? The higher the KV, the more whiney it will sound if not balanced. But, I'll bet you already know that.
The down pitch you mention is mostly caused by the "placement" of the motor. Since it is behind the CG, aerodynamically it will always do that. If you could mount the pusher on very front of the plane (very silly visual, I know), then the down pitch problem would go away.
Yes. HK does overstate their shipping weights. I called them on it and I got the explanation that they know they do and that is how they pay for the packaging materials and the cost (of time) for packing. Well, that is plausible. But, Phillip and most of the world don't do that. So, I kind of feel like it is a rip-off. It is like those "too low to believe" items on ebay that have OUTRAGEOUS shipping. I did some research on that one, too. But, that is for another thread. Still, though, all in all, HK has taken very good care of me on all my orders from them (44 orders in 2+ years - $8500) and I just cannot beat their "delivered to my doorstep" total $ anywhere. So, I just grumble and pay the overcharge for shipping.
AJ
Yes. All the parts/planes are to feed my addiction to the hobby. I love retirement.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 02:57 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Video of Clouds Fly

Quote:

Here is a video of a flight of the Clouds Fly-> http://www.rcsmart.com.my/webshaper/...oductItem=1847
Scroll down about 1/2 way to the video.

AJ
Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:25 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Interesting Wingspans

PW-RC site says it is 1270mm
HC says it is 1290mm
Factory says it is 1280mm
I wonder which one is right???? I am sure they are all the same plane.
AJ
Last edited by ajbaker; Feb 26, 2009 at 03:32 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:40 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker
Hey guys -
I think we have beat this EZ-AXN-Clouds comparison to death. The input has been entertaining. But, I wonder if we can get back to the focus of this thread? -> "AXN Floater-Jet (aka Cloud Fly)"
AJ
I fail to see how comparing the Clouds Fly to the Easy Star (which you were involved in as well) is any less on-topic than your posts this morning about Hobby City's and ebay's shipping practices.

I still say there's nothing wrong with comparing the two planes, (which is continued with NoNugget's post (and thanks for your thoughts, NoNugget)) last night), since it involves the Clouds Fly, is most certainly on-topic, and will only help others that might be trying to decide between the two. If you don't like it, don't read it. Even if it does nothing, it's a relevant discussion, and this is a discussion forum.

Thank you
Brian_ is offline Find More Posts by Brian_