HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:10 AM
bbz
Australia, QLD, Aroona
Joined Jan 2008
87 Posts
You can glue the wings together and the spar in but leave the spar cover unglued and just tape it on. That i will give you access to the servo wire should you need to do anything with it.

I cut the spar cover at the point the servo wire comes out and left the inside bit removable.
bbz is offline Find More Posts by bbz
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:22 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
447 Posts
One trick if you want to glue them in is to use servo extenders. Cut the recess in the wing (the cover of the pushrod sits in) in half or depending on the length of your extenders and double the servo wires to make them fit in. This way, you can glue the wings and change your servos whenever the need arises by simply taking the tape off the recess and taking it off. I did it on mine. Glue half of the recess and tape the other one, obviously the one that you will use as a trap door!
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:36 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,544 Posts
AXN Hybrid build and Maiden flight

As promised here is a quick build log on film and the maiden ... all a bit rushed .. It is a little heavy and not as fast as a stock AXN (probably all the hot glue and tape) However it flies nice an docile and didn't even feel like tip-stalling. I had 3 flights with it that day and managed a 20 min flight with thermals ... the other 2 were 12 minutes and 15 mins ... the batteries came in at about 3.78/9 per cell. This may be a candidate for an upgrade motor nad one of sotogs mounts ... or if someone in Melbourne has $20

AXN hybrid (6 min 31 sec)
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined Feb 2013
46 Posts
Is HK the best (cheapest) place to find the AXN (bare-boned)? They actually don't offer it in the bare-bone setup at a US warehouse which puts the price up to $58 for the plane and motor (no electronics). Has anyone from the US put together a parts list like BBZ did in post 12415 that would be the cheapest options for someone living in the US?
Gravet is offline Find More Posts by Gravet
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:32 PM
bbz
Australia, QLD, Aroona
Joined Jan 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravet View Post
Is HK the best (cheapest) place to find the AXN (bare-boned)? They actually don't offer it in the bare-bone setup at a US warehouse which puts the price up to $58 for the plane and motor (no electronics). Has anyone from the US put together a parts list like BBZ did in post 12415 that would be the cheapest options for someone living in the US?
You should be able to use my list and click "This product available from a warehouse near you!"at the bottom of the listings, The only thing that was not available locally in Australia was the motor. One thing i should have ordered but didnt was some 3.5mm or higher banana plugs for the esc to motor connection because the D2826-6 motor comes with male plugs but no females.
bbz is offline Find More Posts by bbz
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:02 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
I think I need to upgrade my AXN to a 4s setup. It's feeling really slow lately, even with the full wingtips cut off. I already have a 4s 2200 and 45 amp trust esc and I'm waiting for the 2200kv NTM to come back in stock.

Sotog, how long until the CNC mount is released?
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:30 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gooby View Post
I think I need to upgrade my AXN to a 4s setup. It's feeling really slow lately, even with the full wingtips cut off. I already have a 4s 2200 and 45 amp trust esc and I'm waiting for the 2200kv NTM to come back in stock.

You will enjoy this setup very much. Not sure 45amp ESC will be enough. It easily will pull 48-50 amps. I use a 60 amp ESC.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:57 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
With a 6x4 it will definitely go over 45 amps, but according to hobbyking a 5x5 should only be 35A. I have the same esc (Turnigy Trust) in another plane that draws close to the max but it still runs cool. I think I should be ok by using a 5x5, but I will have to wait and see.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:28 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
With a 6x4 it will definitely go over 45 amps, but according to hobbyking a 5x5 should only be 35A. I have the same esc (Turnigy Trust) in another plane that draws close to the max but it still runs cool. I think I should be ok by using a 5x5, but I will have to wait and see.
In use a 6x5 to take advantage of the motor. It's goes like a rocket.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:33 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
194 Posts
Why even tempt fate? If you care about your plane, then you should use a higher esc. Go for a 70 amp esc and then fly away to your heart's content without worry of burning it out. You'll be able to swing whatever prop you please (within reason).
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:54 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
Why even tempt fate? If you care about your plane, then you should use a higher esc. Go for a 70 amp esc and then fly away to your heart's content without worry of burning it out. You'll be able to swing whatever prop you please (within reason).
This is a nice ESC, very thin & light and works fine.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24717
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:39 PM
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
This is a nice ESC, very thin & light and works fine.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=24717
That looks pretty nice. Would the NTM 2700kv be a good match for that, or is that a little overkill?
tbob18 is offline Find More Posts by tbob18
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:19 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob18 View Post
That looks pretty nice. Would the NTM 2700kv be a good match for that, or is that a little overkill?
I have used that motor as well on the AXN and ESC with no problem. Depending on the prop used the motor can pull 45+ amps so it not really an overkill. Its seems lighter & thinner than most ESC of less capacity. So why not.!

I will be using it on my 70mm EDF AXN that I'm building now.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:27 PM
Joined Aug 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I have used that motor as well on the AXN and ESC with no problem. Depending on the prop used the motor can pull 45+ amps so it not really an overkill. Its seems lighter & thinner than most ESC of less capacity. So why not.!

I will be using it on my 70mm EDF AXN that I'm building now.
Yeah I guess it is better to overestimate a bit when it comes to the ESC.

I was thinking about using it with that NTM and 6x4 prop with a Zippy 40c 2200mah 3s battery. From what I understand, It should give similar thrust as a 4s on the 2200kv NTM but last a little longer on a charge.
tbob18 is offline Find More Posts by tbob18
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Nov 2009
635 Posts
Quote:

Hi gooby,

Right now we have them scheduled to run mid next week. It is actually next on our list, so as soon as our current job is finished I will get right on them.

Sorry I couldn't get them out this week. I really wanted too.

I'll post some pictures of the final product when they are ready to ship.

Terry
sotog is offline Find More Posts by sotog
Site Sponsor