SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:05 PM
Registered User
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,779 Posts
Yeah I think the AXN will always be my go to plane. Just easy to fly. And I think I will eventually buy another kit so I am prepared for the eventual crash.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:34 PM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4rc View Post
RCTimer 2208/8 (2600 kV) with an APC or MAS 6x4. The 40A ESC is a great match. This is a quite hot setup and should serve you well on the way to the Siren.

Easiest way to mount the motor is to cut a disk or similar from 3mm plywood and epoxy it in the stock location, then screw the x-mount that comes with the motor into it. This is how I did it and it's been rock solid.



If you put the ESC inside the fuse make sure there is adequate ventilation as this setup will draw close to 40A at WOT. It develops 780g of thrust.
Thanks for the reply, and the link to the motor, I shall order it up! Though I will try the modded plane with stock motor till it arrives.
I have the 6x4 prop already.
One other thing, I have cut the wings down to now have a 900mm span, also filed the L/E down to get rid of the blurt L/e, can any body recomend something I can put on the wing to smooooth it out?
Neal
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:47 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Thanks for the reply, and the link to the motor, I shall order it up! Though I will try the modded plane with stock motor till it arrives.
I have the 6x4 prop already.
One other thing, I have cut the wings down to now have a 900mm span, also filed the L/E down to get rid of the blurt L/e, can any body recomend something I can put on the wing to smooooth it out?
Neal
You could try laminating it.

http://www.alofthobbies.com/new-stuf...ing-films.html
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:09 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
mutha's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Thanks for the reply, and the link to the motor, I shall order it up! Though I will try the modded plane with stock motor till it arrives.
I have the 6x4 prop already.
One other thing, I have cut the wings down to now have a 900mm span, also filed the L/E down to get rid of the blurt L/e, can any body recomend something I can put on the wing to smooooth it out?
Neal
Plain packing tape (clear or coloured) carefully applied so as to be smooth and then use a heat gun (once again carefully) to shrink it a bit and make the glue on the tape grab the wing better. You don't have the gun too hot and it gives a great finish.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:15 PM
bbz
Registered User
bbz's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Aroona
Joined Jan 2008
87 Posts
Why do you guys feel the need to cover the wings?
bbz is offline Find More Posts by bbz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:24 PM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
bbz, Hi, normally no need to cover wing at all, BUT, if you read back a few posts, you will see I have cut the w/s back down, and altered the wing profile, and I need to smooth the foam back a bit, as I need the speed!!
Neal
PS I would like something I can spray on perhaps, I would like to keep the weight down
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
Last edited by neale; Feb 18, 2013 at 08:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:30 PM
bbz
Registered User
bbz's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Aroona
Joined Jan 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
bbz, Hi, normally no need to cover wing at all, BUT, if you read back a few posts, you will see I have cut the w/s back down, and altered the wing profile, and I need to smooth the foam back a bit, as I need the speed!!
Neal
Oh right i missed the part where you mention filing the leading edge. what do you mean by "to get rid of the blurt L/e"
bbz is offline Find More Posts by bbz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:58 PM
Registered User
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
bbz if yoou look at the l/e of the wing, it is rounded at the front just simply the shape, So I filed and sanded all along the wing and reshaped the profile, the wing is now a bit flatter to make it a lot sharper ie more aerodynamic. More speed!!
With the larger motor and prop I have now ordered, this plane will go like poop off a shovel, so shortening wings cutting dow tailplane and stab/rudder, cleaning up l/e, should help
Neal
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
Last edited by neale; Feb 19, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:24 PM
sotog's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Nov 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Hey Terry thought it might be good to acknowledge here that I use your mount for the Fun Cub ... great mount solves multiple problems ... so if anyone here is contemplating quality upgrades for their AXN they won't go wrong with one of your mounts. (do I get a cheaper one for the free plug??? )

Look forward to seeing what you come up with ... cheers
Thanks for the plug! I'm glad you like our products.

I'm looking forward to getting this new design finished. Should really solve some of the problems with the stock mount and make it simple to swap out motors.

Just finished running a batch of our new Super Sky Surfer adjustable mount. I'll have that one up in the classifieds later tonight.

Terry
sotog is offline Find More Posts by sotog
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:27 AM
bbz
Registered User
bbz's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Aroona
Joined Jan 2008
87 Posts
I just got my first AXN, I bought the bare bones kit and ordered gear separately.
Gear i got is as follows:With some added weight(50g) for the missing motor my AUW comes to 665g + maybe 5g of glue and tape.
Does anyone know what sort of thrust my power system should put out? looking for at least a 1:1 thrust:weight.

Has anyone had much success with extending the control surfaces?
I am a reasonably experienced flyer and want to have a bit more aerobatic ability. I will eventually clip the wing tips, but want to leave them for now.

Seeing as i have to wait to fly i have time to bling it up a bit. Ive removed the stickers and plan on painting it.

Removing the stickers was easy enough. Using a hair dryer stopped the stickers from pulling up any material from the foam.

I made up a template to design a scheme. I plan on spraying with cheapo enamel paints, which have worked for me before on depron.

Ive attached a clean template for anyone to use in png and adobe illustrator(zipped) formats.
bbz is offline Find More Posts by bbz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:38 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbz View Post
I just got my first AXN, I bought the bare bones kit and ordered gear separately.
Gear i got is as follows:With some added weight(50g) for the missing motor my AUW comes to 665g + maybe 5g of glue and tape.
Does anyone know what sort of thrust my power system should put out? looking for at least a 1:1 thrust:weight.

Has anyone had much success with extending the control surfaces?
I am a reasonably experienced flyer and want to have a bit more aerobatic ability. I will eventually clip the wing tips, but want to leave them for now.

Seeing as i have to wait to fly i have time to bling it up a bit. Ive removed the stickers and plan on painting it.

Removing the stickers was easy enough. Using a hair dryer stopped the stickers from pulling up any material from the foam.

I made up a template to design a scheme. I plan on spraying with cheapo enamel paints, which have worked for me before on depron.

Ive attached a clean template for anyone to use in png and adobe illustrator(zipped) formats.
with that motor 6x4 yeild about 800g++ thrust powerful enough to to push the axn around
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:36 AM
bbz
Registered User
bbz's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Aroona
Joined Jan 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
with that motor 6x4 yeild about 800g++ thrust powerful enough to to push the axn around
Thanks, this is what i had hoped for.
bbz is offline Find More Posts by bbz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:28 AM
sotog's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Nov 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbz View Post
Heres my painted AXN.

Worked out well.
Excellent job bbz!
sotog is offline Find More Posts by sotog
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 02:28 AM
sotog's Avatar
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Nov 2009
653 Posts
Here are a few drawings of the new AXN Floater Jet Adjustable Aluminum Mount.

This will allow to easily mount most any 28mm outrunner motors as well as the stock motor. You can run the 28mm outrunner motors in 3 positions:

Stock for up to a 6" prop
+.45" for up to a 7" prop
+.9" for up to an 8" prop

The new aluminum base piece has 4 threaded M2 holes that line up with the stock motor. No more worries of the small nuts behind the plastic piece becoming unglued.

For the 28mm motors, you would first attach the motor plate to the back of the new motor, then attach the assembly to the base piece at the desired height with 2 M3 screws. If you drill a small hole into the foam nacelle, in the stock location you can run the 28mm motors that have a bolt on propeller shaft (motor shaft sticking out the back). Or you can run them in the +9" location.

To install, you will first need to remove the black plastic mount. I was able to do this fairly easy by lifting up on the top flat piece, and pushing it back while prying the side of the oval section. It popped off with a bit of pressure.

Next you would glue the flat base piece onto the foam where the plastic piece was. 5min epoxy works very well. Once dry, it is ready to go.

Should have parts ready in about 2 weeks.

Terry
sotog is offline Find More Posts by sotog
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools