SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:38 AM
bbz
Australia, QLD, Aroona
Joined Jan 2008
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
actually you can just take any 4 channel electric plane and practice with it, as you are training the control of the plane not actually flying characteristics, on Phoenix i train with a flying wing
Yeah, i can already fly but i wanted to have a go with something like an axn as i just bought one. Giving it a go in the slope soaring airfields atm.
bbz is offline Find More Posts by bbz
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:30 AM
United States, CO, Northglenn
Joined Dec 2012
93 Posts
wild hawk soup.

I am sure most of you have heard of this repair technique, but its worth passing on. My wild hawk fuse got smashed several times while learning. Hot glue, skewers, tape and all that used to fix. over time the nose of the plane began to have an s shape to it. one cheek bulging out, one cheek wrinkled in. Used a big boiling pot and ladled the boiling water over damaged areas and it came back to shape pretty good. I am sure my floater will need spa treatment someday, and yours may already.
banknwank is offline Find More Posts by banknwank
Last edited by banknwank; Feb 16, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:09 AM
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Feb 2013
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
D2826 2200kv is a good candidate never fail me yet but you will need at least 30aesc for it
Can you fit it right on, or need some other mods?
Corran is offline Find More Posts by Corran
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:31 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
It's a pain to attach to the plastic mount, and you will have to add weight to the nose.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:23 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
@sotog :

I think I'd be interested in running a 7" prop, an 8" at the very most. I can't see any reason why anyone would want to go larger.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:28 PM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Nov 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
@sotog :

I think I'd be interested in running a 7" prop, an 8" at the very most. I can't see any reason why anyone would want to go larger.
I think an 8" prop would be the max you would want. You could run a lower KV motor for more torque and possibly better efficiency.

I'm working out to see if I can get a fully adjustable mount designed. Space is a little tight on the nacelle. What I may need to do is have two motor plates. One for the stock location, and one high enough for an 8" prop.

Thanks for the feedback.

Terry
sotog is offline Find More Posts by sotog
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:25 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
3,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banknwank View Post
I am sure most of you have heard of this repair technique, but its worth passing on. My wild hawk fuse got smashed several times while learning. Hot glue, skewers, tape and all that used to fix. over time the nose of the plane began to have an s shape to it. one cheek bulging out, one cheek wrinkled in. Used a big boiling pot and ladled the boiling water over damaged areas and it came back to shape pretty good. I am sure my floater will need spa treatment someday, and yours may already.
Yeah, goes by the name Elapour Soup or foam soup. It is best not to use boiling water rather just a bit off boiling - boil your water and let it sit a bit. You can dip it in (no leccy bits though ) and drain it a bit then use you hand to 'encourage the shape you want'. Too hot and you end up with 'orange' skin foam.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:03 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
i take out the plastic mount then bolted the new motor on to it but need a new screw hole
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:13 AM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
Hi Guys
I have taught myself to fly on the clouds fly, great little plane straight off the shelf.Any way I built myself a Siren running around 900 to 1000 watts, fast for me!
I have had three flights on it,but I need to fly something a bit slower than the Siren but quicker than a stock clouds fly. I have a damaged airframe of another C/F that I have cut the wings down to 900mm because of the damage. also filed the L/E so as to get rid of the blunt L/E and cut the stab and tailplane down a bit, I am thinking of a little more power,not too much, I think maybe around 300w with the rite prop would do the job, I think this would be a good twitchy half quick plane to get my skills up a bit so as to handle the Siren a bit more comfortably. Any advice on motor please, I would like to stay with similar style motor to what it had, just a bit more power, I have a spare 40 amp esc already, And I would like to smooth the foam out, how do I do it?? Any help would be great, as this is all new to me!!
Neal
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:35 AM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Hi Guys
I have taught myself to fly on the clouds fly, great little plane straight off the shelf.Any way I built myself a Siren running around 900 to 1000 watts, fast for me!
I have had three flights on it,but I need to fly something a bit slower than the Siren but quicker than a stock clouds fly. I have a damaged airframe of another C/F that I have cut the wings down to 900mm because of the damage. also filed the L/E so as to get rid of the blunt L/E and cut the stab and tailplane down a bit, I am thinking of a little more power,not too much, I think maybe around 300w with the rite prop would do the job, I think this would be a good twitchy half quick plane to get my skills up a bit so as to handle the Siren a bit more comfortably. Any advice on motor please, I would like to stay with similar style motor to what it had, just a bit more power, I have a spare 40 amp esc already, And I would like to smooth the foam out, how do I do it?? Any help would be great, as this is all new to me!!
Neal
When I wanted to upgrade my last pusher-glider, I went with the Turnigy NTM prop drive, 35-36 series motor
(http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00Kv_875w.html

Without enough reinforcement, that motor folded my wings in half. My friend now uses that same motor on his skysurfer. Granted, he's added extra carbon fiber to every visible surface.....but she is a speed demon. He runs her on a 7x5 prop and a 4s battery.

The axn has great speed for a stock pusher. Before you go swapping out the motor, try bumping up to a 7x4 propeller first. You will want to use that 40A esc for the setup too, not the stock 25A. You may want to angle the motor a bit to make room for the prop, it can probably be done by adding a couple washers on the bottom 2 screws of the motor mount.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:49 PM
Fly, crash, glue. Repeat.
Belgium, Walloon Region, Plombières
Joined Jul 2011
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Any advice on motor please, I would like to stay with similar style motor to what it had, just a bit more power, I have a spare 40 amp esc already,
RCTimer 2208/8 (2600 kV) with an APC or MAS 6x4. The 40A ESC is a great match. This is a quite hot setup and should serve you well on the way to the Siren.

Easiest way to mount the motor is to cut a disk or similar from 3mm plywood and epoxy it in the stock location, then screw the x-mount that comes with the motor into it. This is how I did it and it's been rock solid.

If you put the ESC inside the fuse make sure there is adequate ventilation as this setup will draw close to 40A at WOT. It develops 780g of thrust.
4x4rc is offline Find More Posts by 4x4rc
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:51 PM
Joined Oct 2010
60 Posts
Hello guys im planning on changing the wing spar with a carbon one for les flex in the wings...And i was wandering is this anygood for the job ?

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...w_8x750mm.html
box13 is offline Find More Posts by box13
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:00 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by box13 View Post
Hello guys im planning on changing the wing spar with a carbon one for les flex in the wings...And i was wandering is this anygood for the job ?

It will do fine, but its the same size / material that comes with the AXN kit so no better or worse. If you want less flex either put some carbon rod across the wing and or laminate the wing.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:00 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:

Never tested that one, but my guess is that it will be lighter, but just as strong, similar to the arrow shaft I have used for several years now. For me, it is strong enough even with my 150g inrunner. If you wanted stronger you might put another shaft inside

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4417
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:01 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
Quote:

Less flex in the wings? The stock wing spar is already extremely rigid.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby