Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:10 AM
Registered User
Ginohio's Avatar
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banknwank View Post
skip to around 5.34 on the vid. when the plane is going away from me, i have already cut the throttle. it gets hard to see, but the bank to bring back to me scrubs some speed, then the little flare before touch down. but the plane was already 1 ft or less off the ground before i flare. should have just landed. Sorry i get al ittle long winded, it was only a few months ago i was going through the same learning curves. smashed the hawk a few times and all of the sudden i was flying. as will be you tomorrow !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=107Tf...layer_embedded
Nice vid. Just a tip if your filming from an Iphone hold the phone horizontal that way it will show the whole picture in the vid, not just the vertical like yours shows..
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:30 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
i don't think i can survive 5 min outside in that kind of weather, I'm use to 28c all day and all year long lol
Skellator, I came back to Chicago from Malaysia after watching your friends fly in KL to flying in -15 C with 8in snow conditions. Made for soft landings
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:51 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Skellator, I came back to Chicago from Malaysia after watching your friends fly in KL to flying in -15 C with 8in snow conditions. Made for soft landings
cant compare "soft" landing at our field
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:58 AM
Registered User
United States, NC, Kure Beach
Joined Dec 1996
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLine19k View Post
that would be a good one, if it was available in the US. Otherwise the 20 shipping and 2 week wait makes it less of a deal

For some reason all HK doesn't carry 30-40A switching BECs available for $14 other places

this one is rated for 3A but i have no idea the quality
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
Thanks for that. It's probably what I'll get.
floete is offline Find More Posts by floete
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:17 AM
Registered User
banknwank's Avatar
United States, CO, Northglenn
Joined Dec 2012
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
Nice vid. Just a tip if your filming from an Iphone hold the phone horizontal that way it will show the whole picture in the vid, not just the vertical like yours shows..
ahh....... i did not know this. it was driving me nuts. i have seen other vids with same syndrome, just thought it was something about the format. thanks. i have began messing with the video editing software also . not that video production is main focus.
banknwank is offline Find More Posts by banknwank
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:12 AM
Registered User
United States, NC, Kure Beach
Joined Dec 1996
185 Posts
okay, one or two last questions before i buy. my plan is to stick a keychain camera on this and mosey up and down the coastline, line of sight, taking vids of my buddies out surfing. i know a quad might be more ideal for this, but the thought of losing a quad in the surf makes me ill to think about. so, how do you think the Floater will do in this regard? can i get it to slow down and glide at not-to-fast a pace?
there are so many things i like about it, in theory, the size, the cost, the portability, and so on. but if it can't do what i want, well, then, i may have to rethink.
floete is offline Find More Posts by floete
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:08 AM
Argue for your limitations
ajbaker's Avatar
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floete View Post
okay, one or two last questions before i buy. my plan is to stick a keychain camera on this and mosey up and down the coastline, line of sight, taking vids of my buddies out surfing. i know a quad might be more ideal for this, but the thought of losing a quad in the surf makes me ill to think about. so, how do you think the Floater will do in this regard? can i get it to slow down and glide at not-to-fast a pace?
there are so many things i like about it, in theory, the size, the cost, the portability, and so on. but if it can't do what i want, well, then, i may have to rethink.
If you want to go REAL slow, get a Slow Stick plane. Otherwise, the AXN should do OK for you.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:04 PM
Registered User
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Nov 2004
593 Posts
Here's a video to give you some idea of the axn/cam capabilities. This was taken at sunset so quality would only improve.

Axn with keychain cam

videopad is a decent editor
RedLine19k is offline Find More Posts by RedLine19k
Last edited by RedLine19k; Feb 13, 2013 at 01:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:59 PM
Registered User
United States, NC, Kure Beach
Joined Dec 1996
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLine19k View Post
Here's a video to give you some idea of the axn/cam capabilities. This was taken at sunset so quality would only improve.

Axn with keychain cam

videopad is a decent editor
that's pretty much just right, in terms of the cam quality. like the flying, too, but do you happen to have a vid that shows the AXN floating along at minimum speed in sort of a straight-line trajectory?
anyway, thank for sharing. very helpful!
floete is offline Find More Posts by floete
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:24 PM
Registered User
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Nov 2004
593 Posts
Just the landing. Honestly, the plane likes to zoom. I edited out 10 minutes of higher speed flight/dives/rolls etc. I have a wing that will fly a few mph slower but under 20 is going to be tricky. You could fly with a 1.3ah but it's going to jump around more. Those polyhedral tips roll in any crosswind.

Still, you might be able to use onshore breeze to slow it down, and a brighter day will really help with quality. You could probably pull some good stills.

Aiming is the hard part (mine was really too "nose down"). But you could do multiple flights to the front/side etc. If for some reason it doesn't work out as a camera platform, you still have a cheap, great-flying plane.

Good luck.
RedLine19k is offline Find More Posts by RedLine19k
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:25 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2006
100 Posts
Is there any landing gear option for the clouds fly?
adarsh_007 is offline Find More Posts by adarsh_007
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:07 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
mutha's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by floete View Post
that's pretty much just right, in terms of the cam quality. like the flying, too, but do you happen to have a vid that shows the AXN floating along at minimum speed in sort of a straight-line trajectory?
anyway, thank for sharing. very helpful!
Hi - I think I know what you are talking about and I would say that you are not going to get the slow constant shots of surfing like you would with a quad. The AXN has to fly to stay in the air and unless you fluke extremely favourable winds you will only get passing shots. It will depend on your piloting ability too. Unfortunately it doesn't all come together over night you have to work at it.
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:08 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
mutha's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh_007 View Post
Is there any landing gear option for the clouds fly?
Yep glue some wheels on it
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:13 PM
Destroyer of foamies
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jan 2013
58 Posts
Forgive me if I missed this somewhere, but does anyone know whether the CF Tipstalls more easily with full wings or clipped wings?
My stock CF tipstalled a lot before I clipped the wings, but when I recently reinstalled the wing tips, It no longer tipstalled like it had before I clipped the wings
The reason I am asking, Is that I have a friend who just bought himself a CF, and I don't want him to have a beatup wreck after 10-11 flights.
Mine was more tape than EPO at that point due to the tipstalls!
Foam Addict. is offline Find More Posts by Foam Addict.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:24 PM
ezroller's Avatar
United Kingdom, England, Wiltshire
Joined Jan 2013
832 Posts
Hi all, waiting for delivery of my floater jet and thought id drop by. another huuuge thread to trawl thru !
ezroller is online now Find More Posts by ezroller
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools