HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:05 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Unless he is going to go into a delta or v-tail configuration (neither is used on the AXN), there is no point is spending the extra $3.
AJ

That's true but V1 isn't sold any more as it has been replaced by V2. Also V2 you can turn off in flight with a spare channel.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:33 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Man, oh man. You have a set of cajonies to learn to fly with that. Whoever gave you the advice to buy that as a first plane was not very experienced. Compared to that, an AXN is simple to fly (it is anyhow). It is sort of like going from lunar lander to a Rav4.
AJ
Just to say it has not been really good. A couple of good flights and more bad. Bad advise to say the least
EastBay580 is offline Find More Posts by EastBay580
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:49 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
That's true but V1 isn't sold any more as it has been replaced by V2. Also V2 you can turn off in flight with a spare channel.
That is a brilliant feature to be able to turn it off. Plenty of FY20 have crashed theirs for various reasons and I have had bad reactions when I switch on a FY20. I guess the FY20 is as good or better than a HK model.

If you stall a FY20 and the nose goes right down it is a crash unless you turn off the FY20. Is that the same with a HK version? But there are other reasons why a switch is great.

To be safe on the first flights I always take mine up high and face the wind and turn on the switch. On flying wings you can get a worse reaction than on a floater and people may want it for other planes later.

Once I got my FY20 sorted out on the Floater I can now use it for the full flight including take offs and landing. But landings I need to turn it off in small areas for landings as it just glides almost forever and does not come down.

Then again a HK version may work different to the FY20. I am not sure. The FY20 has a stabilized mode where control surfaces stay turned until the plane comes to level. Maybe someone can advise on this.

For me a switch to turn it off and on is a necessity so that is probably why they incorporated it in Version 2.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:11 PM
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
I reckon gyro's are a brilliant idea. However, personally I couldn't see me using one on my AXN's. After many years in r/c gliding (originally mostly slope soaring) and flying in winds that were, quite honestly, ridiculous, (I was totally addicted back then) I found my reactions became almost sub-conscious. IN other words, no matter how the plane was being hurled around, I could pretty much keep her steady.

Those days are gone now and my reactions are much slower (I went too many years not flying) but still I enjoy being able to fly my AXN's in dodgy weather. I have to smile when, at the club field, I hear the occasional gasp from the guys sitting around waiting for the weather to improve when my plane narrowly avoids death.

To sum up, what I'm saying is, each to his own but for ME, it's fun honing my reactions again. I'd never fly any of my other planes in 'iffy' weather but with the AXN, most of the time, any impressive prangs will only result in me having to reach for the glue bottle.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:12 PM
United States, CO, Northglenn
Joined Dec 2012
93 Posts
I will be building my axn this weekend.

I would have built this week, but its supposed to snow this week end so i didnt feel the need to rush it. And if it is cold and snowy i will have something to do. I did hook up a watt meter to the plane and it is pulling 13 amps @ wot with the included 5x5 prop. This thing screams some stupid rpms! (I am used to my brushed wild hawk ya know). I mounted up the 6x4 off the wild hawk and it was pulling 15 amps. The 6x4 is not balanced and it was shaking a little. every one is talking about how they need bigger esc? (comes with 25 amp) Is ther something i am missing? Do i need to su or callibrate my new hk amp meter or something? What gives? Next on my to do/learn list....prop balancing.

On a side note. I am still pretty new at rc planes. The last time i was messing with rc stuff was with a pan chassis rc-10. So i had another learning curve to deal with. lipo. Them there new fangled battrees and the like......is more complicated. I have read the warnings and understand the things are a little more finicky/dangerous than nimh . So please dont go off on long winded discussions on them. (there is blog area devoted to that).
banknwank is offline Find More Posts by banknwank
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:40 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
I reckon gyro's are a brilliant idea. However, personally I couldn't see me using one on my AXN's. After many years in r/c gliding (originally mostly slope soaring) and flying in winds that were, quite honestly, ridiculous, (I was totally addicted back then) I found my reactions became almost sub-conscious. IN other words, no matter how the plane was being hurled around, I could pretty much keep her steady.

Those days are gone now and my reactions are much slower (I went too many years not flying) but still I enjoy being able to fly my AXN's in dodgy weather. I have to smile when, at the club field, I hear the occasional gasp from the guys sitting around waiting for the weather to improve when my plane narrowly avoids death.

To sum up, what I'm saying is, each to his own but for ME, it's fun honing my reactions again. I'd never fly any of my other planes in 'iffy' weather but with the AXN, most of the time, any impressive prangs will only result in me having to reach for the glue bottle.
The only reason I fitted a FY20 was I was starting FPV and thought I needed everything going for me.

I quickly found out that it is easy to fly FPV without the stabilization.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:46 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
That is a brilliant feature to be able to turn it off. Plenty of FY20 have crashed theirs for various reasons and I have had bad reactions when I switch on a FY20. I guess the FY20 is as good or better than a HK model.

If you stall a FY20 and the nose goes right down it is a crash unless you turn off the FY20. Is that the same with a HK version? But there are other reasons why a switch is great.

To be safe on the first flights I always take mine up high and face the wind and turn on the switch. On flying wings you can get a worse reaction than on a floater and people may want it for other planes later.

Once I got my FY20 sorted out on the Floater I can now use it for the full flight including take offs and landing. But landings I need to turn it off in small areas for landings as it just glides almost forever and does not come down.

Then again a HK version may work different to the FY20. I am not sure. The FY20 has a stabilized mode where control surfaces stay turned until the plane comes to level. Maybe someone can advise on this.

For me a switch to turn it off and on is a necessity so that is probably why they incorporated it in Version 2.
The HK V2 is a 3D stabilizer. It doesn't level the plane but takes the edge off the gusty wind aspect of things. Or if your doing loops it will keep the plane straight if you just pulling on the elevator. So you still need to fly the plane.

In essence, which ever ever angle you leave your plane in it will continue to fly it in that attitude.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:04 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,129 Posts
Quote:
The HK V2 is a 3D stabilizer. It doesn't level the plane but takes the edge off the gusty wind aspect of things. Or if your doing loops it will keep the plane straight if you just pulling on the elevator. So you still need to fly the plane.

In essence, which ever ever angle you leave your plane in it will continue to fly it in that attitude.
So looks like just gyros and no accelerometers like the FY20.

Probably not as necessary to have a switch on the HK version but nice to have.

If you set the throttle right on the FY20 it will be it level at the same altitude no matter what. (Well until the LiPo goes flat or someone touches the joysticks)

Thanks for the info.
Last edited by Firepower; Feb 08, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:01 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
glue come with the kit are fine but after 2 year i dont think it will survive that long
My plane will likely not survive 2 years lol. I put in about 10-15 hrs a week flying, and my planes take a beating sometimes.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:49 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,886 Posts
Quote:

The HK V1 owes me a favourite high wing TRAINER
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:55 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
The HK V1 owes me a favourite high wing TRAINER
How did it happen? A turn off switch would have helped or not so it can be switched off until up high and sorted out?
Last edited by Firepower; Feb 09, 2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:14 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,886 Posts
Quote:
How did it happen? A turn off switch would have helped or not so it can be switched off until up high and sorted out?
I always wanted a plane to fly on windy days and at our club we have an electircs guru who has been experimenting with gyros of all sorts in his planes for a year or more.

I bought the 3 Axis as soon as it came out (bought 4 actually) we installed it in the plane I trained on to get my wings - a Kyosho Calmato. We trimmed it and sorted it and flew it in 30-35 Kph winds ... I was over the moon it was fantastic. Took it out the next weekend (much less wind) and even though it was set up on a flat bench etc. as soon as it was in the air it wanted to roll left so I brought it round for a landing and on a final RH turn for approach it just healed over to a LH Knife edge and I lost all input. It dissapeared into think trees and when found some 2 hours later was so smashed up that a detrmination of what happened was nigh on impossible. _ I blame the GYRO .. no switch on the V1
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:36 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
I always wanted a plane to fly on windy days and at our club we have an electircs guru who has been experimenting with gyros of all sorts in his planes for a year or more.

I bought the 3 Axis as soon as it came out (bought 4 actually) we installed it in the plane I trained on to get my wings - a Kyosho Calmato. We trimmed it and sorted it and flew it in 30-35 Kph winds ... I was over the moon it was fantastic. Took it out the next weekend (much less wind) and even though it was set up on a flat bench etc. as soon as it was in the air it wanted to roll left so I brought it round for a landing and on a final RH turn for approach it just healed over to a LH Knife edge and I lost all input. It dissapeared into think trees and when found some 2 hours later was so smashed up that a detrmination of what happened was nigh on impossible. _ I blame the GYRO .. no switch on the V1
Bugger So the V2 with a switch could have helped but just turning it off at the first hint of a problem and could have proven if it was the gyro or not.

Maybe you get what you pay for but you can get faulty FY20s and I guess a lot are happy with the HK ones. Just installing a FY21 in a Skywalker X5. That should be fun to get it going right.

Anyway the Floater is great as most would say.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:06 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,886 Posts
Quote:
Bugger So the V2 with a switch could have helped but just turning it off at the first hint of a problem and could have proven if it was the gyro or not.

Maybe you get what you pay for but you can get faulty FY20s and I guess a lot are happy with the HK ones. Just installing a FY21 in a Skywalker X5. That should be fun to get it going right.

I'm just building a Tristania 3D but intend to do a new AXN straight after .... I may try oneof the other HK 3 Axis in it ... and do a build log as promised. I don't want to lose a composite but would cope with an AXN as it is not too hard to repair.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:02 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Off Topic

Quote:

It is worthy of note that a gyro and an FY20 are very different from each other. The FY20 is sort of a gyro on steroids. A gyro will only correct attitude adjustment at the time of an instant change in one of the control surfaces. The FY20 is an auto-pilot. Just let go of the sticks and the plane will fly itself. A gyro will NOT do that or anything like that. It is very important to note the difference before you part with your hard earned money. Then, if you decide that you want to go the "auto pilot" route, I suggest that you buy a superior unit like the Co-Pilot system.
The best post IMO was a lot of posts ago - someone said -> The AXN does not need a gyro. For this plane, I totally agree. I am the one that is responsible for getting so far off subject and it has gone on for pages. So, I will make this my last post on gyros, flight stabilization systems, Auto pilots, etc. I apologize to everyone for letting this get out of control....
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker