SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:38 AM
Joined Apr 2012
65 Posts
Whats the best brand and size prop for this?, ive got a cheap ebay 6x5 prob on there and at half throttle im getting some major vibes.
coaldust is offline Find More Posts by coaldust
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:48 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaldust View Post
Whats the best brand and size prop for this?, ive got a cheap ebay 6x5 prob on there and at half throttle im getting some major vibes.
If you can't balance the one you have then try a 6x4 APC - they are often very close to balanced out of the package.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:51 AM
Joined Apr 2012
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
If you can't balance the one you have then try a 6x4 APC - they are often very close to balanced out of the package.

thanks mate, yeah i dont have a balancer ATM.

THis the one you mean?

http://www.electricwingman.com/apc/apc-6x4.aspx
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:42 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,950 Posts
Quote:

THis the one you mean?

Yep ... most hobby shops (LHS) stock them
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:06 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
303 Posts
so I just ordered one of these. I have crashed too many warbirds and thought I would give this a shot. I have not read the whole thread but am still working on it. I read about using gyros in this bird and wanted to try. I have seen this gyro mentioned and ordered two but they will not be here for a long while. EK2-0704 000118 . Does anybody have another gyro that they use. I will be using a turnigy 9x transmitter. Thanks for the help and time to keep reading. This thread is huge.
EastBay580 is offline Find More Posts by EastBay580
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:10 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,961 Posts
I have quite a few flights on mine now and believe me, a gyro is NOT needed on this plane. Get her up high and she will float along on the thermals. Get her down and give her full throttle and you would swear you're flying an EDF model.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:11 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Suggestion

Quote:

THis the one you mean?

mutha offered an excellent suggestion IMO. The plane comes with a 5x5E which works very well, too. The 6x4 gives a bit more thrust. Oh, BTW. If you do go buy another 6x4 prop, you might consider a 6x4EP APC. That way the torque of the motor will help tighten the prop nut instead of loosening it. Although, very few people have had a problem with a 6x4E coming loose. Just a thought.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I have quite a few flights on mine now and believe me, a gyro is NOT needed on this plane. Get her up high and she will float along on the thermals. Get her down and give her full throttle and you would swear you're flying an EDF model.
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I will go without and just take it out and fly. I have many hours of simulators and a few relatively bad experiences with a Art Tech Corsair. Thinking the Corsair was too much for someone who is new to the hobby. Hoping I can learn better with this.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
65 Posts
esc brake on or off ? my currant floater has brake off so prop spins when gliding and ive heard this creates drag.

You guys have brake on ?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:27 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Gyro stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay580 View Post
so I just ordered one of these. I have crashed too many warbirds and thought I would give this a shot. I have not read the whole thread but am still working on it. I read about using gyros in this bird and wanted to try. I have seen this gyro mentioned and ordered two but they will not be here for a long while. EK2-0704 000118 . Does anybody have another gyro that they use. I will be using a turnigy 9x transmitter. Thanks for the help and time to keep reading. This thread is huge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
+1. I have used gyros extensively just because it is fun. The main plus of using a gyro is to smooth out a landing in event of a gust. The gyro can adjust to a gust 100's of times faster than a human can. If you want to play with one later, OK. But, as noted above, I suggest you just fly the AXN as it comes. It is in your best interest to learn to fly it "out of the box" first.
Ok. Having said that.... HERE is a current technology gyro that I have used. However, you MUST use a digital servo with it. It is just as good as the EK2.
HERE is another one that I have used with analog (AXN stock) servos. It is just Ok and that is about it. I hope all this helps. Happy Flying .......
AJ
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
303 Posts
Thanks guys I appreciate all of your input. Just wish the plane was here but it might be a little windy where I live for today as a storm is coming in. Again thanks for all the input. I am sure I will have more questions but would like to get through the thread first and learn as much as I can about this plane.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:39 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
A couple of thoughts

Quote:
esc brake on or off ? my currant floater has brake off so prop spins when gliding and ive heard this creates drag.

You guys have brake on ?
I do simply because it creates less drag on the airplane than a prop that is "freewheeling". Usually, a brake is used to protect the prop on landing. You can start and stop the motor until the prop is parallel to the ground and it will stay in place to protect it (sort of - better than having it perpendicular to the ground). The caveat - if you use the brake, there is a small drain on the battery because that is how a brake works (the ESC "sorta kinda" locks the motor in one position and it takes a small amount of current to do that). For the advanced folks, I know I have taken a few liberties in the description to maintain the KISS principle.

AJ
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:40 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
I have used this one from HK with good success. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...elta_AUX_.html

And also the guardian 2d/3D stabalizer
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:43 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I will go without and just take it out and fly. I have many hours of simulators and a few relatively bad experiences with a Art Tech Corsair. Thinking the Corsair was too much for someone who is new to the hobby. Hoping I can learn better with this.
Man, oh man. You have a set of cajonies to learn to fly with that. Whoever gave you the advice to buy that as a first plane was not very experienced. Compared to that, an AXN is simple to fly (it is anyhow). It is sort of like going from lunar lander to a Rav4.
AJ
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:48 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
$3 more for a feature that won't be used

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I have used this one from HK with good success. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...elta_AUX_.html

And also the guardian 2d/3D stabalizer
Unless he is going to go into a delta or v-tail configuration (neither is used on the AXN), there is no point is spending the extra $3.
AJ