Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:40 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
You will LOVE it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banknwank View Post
I have spent my new-b time with the wild hawk and was ready for upgrades......By the time i got all the goodies to add ailerons and a brushless power plant, i could just buy the floater. So I did! And it should be hear early next week. This forum helped me make that choice. Thanks for all good info.
If you were "good" at flying the Wild Hawk (I have 3), you will be an "Expert" at flying the AXN. It is MUCH easier to fly and not very easy to tip stall like the WH, What BL motor did you use? What ESC and prop? I am asking just to let everyone check it out and make sure you are not headed for trouble.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, CO, Northglenn
Joined Dec 2012
93 Posts
wild hawk to floater

I didnt get a motor/prop upgrade for the wild hawk i went with the arf floater. (it was on my door step when i got home tonight).........well let me rephrase. I used the cost of upgrading the wild hawk as an excuse to buy the floater. Then i got board this weekend and added ailerons to the wild hawk. The stock power plant in the wild hawk just doesnt cut it and you cant take advantage of the new maneuverability. So I ordered a 26/12 2200kv and 6x4 set up for the hawk. I realy like my hawk and couldnt bring myself to retire it. (The floater jet may change my mind)

For the floater I will be running stock for now. the stock floater looks like a night and day difference from the stock wild hawk. I have 30amp/3amp bec esc on the way for the floater and will probably go with the 6x4 on it also. I also had a 3mm collet i picked out of the bargain bin ( not knowing if i would have a use) at my local hs months ago. (The stock prop saver on a 3s, 2200kv pusher seems stupid to me) I will probably add hinges to the floater surfaces. i know every one is screaming "just tape em". I made this mod to my hawk and it made the servos not have to work so hard. It made them quicker also. If you ever had ailerons on epp/tape hinges that throw half the distance at the furthest point from the control horn. smooth ,easy moving hinges help with that also. I am also looking into carbon wing spar upgrade to see if there is any weight/strength gains to be had. I went with 1800 lipos for the floater and will use the weight i saved in some sort of fuselage reinforcements. (caron or balsa) The cheeks have blown out my hawk half a dozen times. see if we can prevent some of that. Hopefully i wont stuff the floater into mother earth like i did learning with hawk. I may also give the floater some paint. The decals and epp are of good quallity, i just like to pant $%i!.
banknwank is offline Find More Posts by banknwank
Last edited by banknwank; Feb 04, 2013 at 09:08 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:47 PM
United States, CO, Northglenn
Joined Dec 2012
93 Posts
face to face!

wild hawk & floater. The wild hawk fuse is like mashed potatos compared to the new axn.
banknwank is offline Find More Posts by banknwank
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:04 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
My perspectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banknwank View Post
wild hawk & floater. The wild hawk fuse is like mashed potatos compared to the new axn.
They are both gliders. After that, they fly quite differently. I consider the AXN vastly superior to the WH in the gliding category. However, when you get a chance to compare both of them, you might say just the opposite. That is very OK IMO. Imagine if we all liked only one glider type plane. RC would be so boring, I would quit. There are many things though that are not OK - like using a 30A ESC with a LiPo and motor that needs 50A at WOT. Those kind of things are what keeps me coming back over and over again. I appreciate everyone's opinion because it keeps me from making silly mistakes. When conflicts arise (which they DO) and I am in lurking mode, I generally use the solution that I think is best for me. Over the last ~ 7 years that I have been on RCG (51 years RC'ing total), I have met a great many very smart folks and I learn from them. It is sort of a duty for me to give back when I can to pay back to the community for all the folks that have helped me along the way.
I look forward anxiously to your review (and videos?) of both planes. There is a popular saying on the Easy Star thread that I try to remember if I get to bragging too much.-> "If it ain't on video, it didn't happen". I think that saying is most useful for verifying speed claims since we all have Speed Doppler. Anyhow, I have rambled on long enough.
Happy Flying and make sure to post your experiences.
AJ
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:19 AM
The sky ate my homework!
Foster City, CA
Joined Apr 2009
336 Posts
Hello!

Hi AJ,
How are you? You may remember me, I was on the Easystar thread a while ago, I've been fixing my EZ* for a long time (yeah lots of excuses, too many to list here!) it's almost complete. And I also just got a brand new AXN Floater.

All,
does anyone has any good recommendation on where to find a good intro to flying ailerons for someone like me who's only flown rudder+elevator?

Thanks!!

Michael
michaehay is offline Find More Posts by michaehay
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:25 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaehay View Post
Hi AJ,
How are you? You may remember me, I was on the Easystar thread a while ago, I've been fixing my EZ* for a long time (yeah lots of excuses, too many to list here!) it's almost complete. And I also just got a brand new AXN Floater.

All,
does anyone has any good recommendation on where to find a good intro to flying ailerons for someone like me who's only flown rudder+elevator?

Thanks!!

Michael
In the first instance you can't beat a simulator. Even if you just go and get a cheapy like clearview ... just make sure you use a Tx like the one you use (or the one you use i.e. Mode 2 or 1 with switches for rates etc..) not a keyboard!!
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:45 AM
The sky ate my homework!
Foster City, CA
Joined Apr 2009
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
In the first instance you can't beat a simulator. Even if you just go and get a cheapy like clearview ... just make sure you use a Tx like the one you use (or the one you use i.e. Mode 2 or 1 with switches for rates etc..) not a keyboard!!
Great THANKS!
Yes, I'm looking for a cheap sim, I got a free one (FMS) - that was too cheap! I just looked at the Clearview web site - it looks great! I am going to get this one. I already have a USB sim remote, so I'll log a few hours on Clearview. THANK YOU Mutha!

Michael
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:17 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Somewhere in the skies!
Joined Feb 2011
613 Posts
I second Clearview. It has a lot of models. Even the Champ which was my first plane! Btw, I sold my AXN, but since it has a sweet spot, I might consider getting another one lol. Misses me so much!
Stuka_99 is offline Find More Posts by Stuka_99
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:18 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Welcome to the Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaehay View Post
Hi AJ,

All,

Thanks!!

Michael
I am good. Thanks for asking. As far as flying the AXN goes, you are already an accomplished flyer and you will find the AXN to be very easy for you to fly. The EZ* is much more challenging to fly than the AXN. The only thing you will experience with ailerons is that it turns quicker than the EZ* (much quicker). Therefore, set your aileron throws to +/- 1/4" and give it a good toss and it will fly. Because you have a lot of flying experience already, I would suggest that you skip the sim stuff. At your skill level, I can guarantee you that you do not need it. All the above suggestions are great for newbees. They don't know you and your experience. Take some videos to share with everyone. You know what they say on the EZ* thread - "If it ain't on video, it didn't happen".
AJ
P.S. I saw GENE's dog the other day get some "goodies".
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:57 AM
The sky ate my homework!
Foster City, CA
Joined Apr 2009
336 Posts
Hi AJ!
great to hear from you! oh, is the AXN really easier to fly than the EZ*? OK Good News!
Thanks for calling me an "accomplished" pilot, I would rather call myself an old beginner, or a long-time newbie I may try some sim just because the Clearview video looks great (and we have so many windy days in Foster City, I may need something to do indoor!) , but I won't wait then to go fly the AXN.
I miss all the great jokes (yeah, especially Gene's!) frrom the EZ* thread... I think I'll swing by there just for fun even tho I can't call myself a functional EZ* owner yet... (still fixing that baby). LOL nice snapshot of Gene's dog!!
Take care!

Thanks Stuka_99, I'll take that advice!

Michael
Last edited by michaehay; Feb 05, 2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:16 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
What the heck am I doing wrong? My ailerons are nearly useless on this plane. To accomplish any sort of decent turn / roll, I had to mix in 50% rudder (even with Max throw). Should it be more responsive, or is this normal for this plane? She flies great, but this is really curious to me. I did note the very small control surfaces, so I contemplated adding some foam to the ailerons to help a bit.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:22 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
What the heck am I doing wrong? My ailerons are nearly useless on this plane. To accomplish any sort of decent turn / roll, I had to mix in 50% rudder (even with Max throw). Should it be more responsive, or is this normal for this plane? She flies great, but this is really curious to me. I did note the very small control surfaces, so I contemplated adding some foam to the ailerons to help a bit.
It's not you, it's the plane! I had the same impression, and maxed out the aileron throws. I also mixed in some rudder, mostly for safety. The rudder is much more effective especially at low speed.

At max speed the ailerons are not so bad. BTW, I also use aileron differential, this will be even more advantageous with larger ailerons to prevent adverse yaw.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Last edited by victapilot; Feb 05, 2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:19 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
It's not you, it's the plane! I had the same impression, and maxed out the aileron throws. I also mixed in some rudder, mostly for safety. The rudder is much more effective especially at low speed.

At max speed the ailerons are not so bad. BTW, I also use aileron differential, this will be even more advantageous with larger ailerons to prevent adverse yaw.

+1 the plane roll rate is quite slow to me, but rudder are more responsive on the axn, aileron are worst when you get into low speed but when you get it to high speed work fine but still a bit slow to me, maybe I'm use to my flying wing roll rate
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:57 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,979 Posts
Sheesh it's a floater jet not a 3D jet
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:19 PM
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
I elongated my ailerons (almost up to the point where the wing bends upwards) and also cut off the wing tips (again, at the point where they bend upwards) and the roll rate really improved. It still doesn't roll on a sixpence but (and this is a GUESS) I probably get a full roll (even if a bit barrelly) in two thirds of a second (yes, I know that's incredibly slow compared to a plank) at normal speed but when really ripping along the roll rate is much, much faster.

I also include rudder, which really kicks the AXN's arse.

Having elongated the ailerons, although I don't regret doing it, I wouldn't exactly say it made ]massive improvements.

As Mutha rightfully points out, at the end of the day it's just a floater. However, for me, I just have so much FUN getting this bird to scream along, especially when, if it all goes wrong, the AXN will often get 'us' out of a lot of trouble by self righting the moment you take your thumbs off the controls*

* A lawyer would advise me to add something like 'unless you've torn the wings off etc etc'
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz