HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:55 PM
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
Now I think the motor is the part that is overheating. I temporarily mounted the esc on the outside and I flew for a little longer than before. BUT I still got the severe decrease in power after a few minutes. I landed to check over the components and the esc was warm, not hot. The motor was too hot to touch, not quite melting the plastic though. Moving to a 6x4 might solve the problem, but the decrease in power would make the new motor the same as the stock one.

I wish I didn't "upgrade" the motor.
..."The problem is likely the prop size. But, in any evrnt, do you have a watt meter? It is as necessary as a screwdriver to troubleshoot the problem you are having now. If you don't, change back to the stock motor and prop to be safe.
AJ..." Quote

If you are going to fly Electric powered models, get yourself one of these before you buy anything else. This item is as essential as having a radio.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...up_Ver_2_.html

You will save bucket loads of money and heartache.
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:21 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
I use this one, it works fine

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Analyzer.html
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 19, 2013, 07:00 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Just bought one of these. After having been absolutely ADDICTED to this hobby for about 8ish months or so (can't remember), I wanted to restock my small hangar with a pusher-style glider. I was torn between the bixler and this plane, but ultimately stock was the deciding factor for me.

I learned flying with a hobbypeople superfly-x, then moved on to an fms-1280 where I became much more proficient. I then scratchbuilt and LOVED a total of 5 deltas and also purchased a 55'' P-51 from HK. Now that I consider myself a more skilled pilot, I'd like to go back to the basics with an easy Sunday parkflyer. This is where my decision on this plane came from.

I've glanced through this thread looking for people's mods....but was thrown off with all the AXN vs. Easystar bickering in the beginning.

Not wanting to sift through 2000+ pages of info, would someone please give me the cliff notes on recommended mods? My most interest at this time is installing landing gear. I would like to practice so that I can be proficient when I move on to more scale planes such as an F-4U with retracts (my dream plane....probably years down the road). I saw someone glued a dowel to the underbelly and attached wheels to that. While it is a very genious method, I prefer something a bit more visually appealing. I am thinking about getting some carbon fiber LG from HK and sandwiching them to the fuse via a strip of wood in the battery tray. Any thoughts? What have other people done?

Another mod I'd be interested in is with the motor mount. I read a while back on the nixler thread where someone cnc'd an aluminum mount that fit perfectly in the motor pod, allowing the pilot to raise the motor up and install larger props. This would be VERY interesting to me, as I'd like to experiment with different motor / prop combos.

It's a lengthy post, and I'm sorry for being that guy that asks a question that's probably already been answered. This thread is huge, and I would probably not be finished reading it by the time my AXN arrives in the mail. Thanks in advance to all who pass forward their knowledge!
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:38 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
You could check this link out with plenty of details on the AXN.

http://beta.ivc.no/wiki/index.php/AXN_Clouds_Fly
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:47 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
I changed back to the original motor with 5x5 prop, best all around combo for this plane.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:51 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Heavy and old Clouds Fly taking off from light snow on ice:
SøftelandClouds (3 min 12 sec)

This plane flies with a downgraded motor - turnigy 28-12, 1900kv, and is a bit slower than stock. 1300mah battery, plus 200grams of gopro on the nose. Still flies well, and is virtually indestructible. Although for filming or fpv it is a bit small, and becomes quite nose heavy.
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:37 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
I like the AXN so much that I ordered another one!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
Just bought one of these. After having been absolutely ADDICTED to this hobby for about 8ish months or so (can't remember), I wanted to restock my small hangar with a pusher-style glider. I was torn between the bixler and this plane, but ultimately stock was the deciding factor for me.

I learned flying with a hobbypeople superfly-x, then moved on to an fms-1280 where I became much more proficient. I then scratchbuilt and LOVED a total of 5 deltas and also purchased a 55'' P-51 from HK. Now that I consider myself a more skilled pilot, I'd like to go back to the basics with an easy Sunday parkflyer. This is where my decision on this plane came from.

I've glanced through this thread looking for people's mods....but was thrown off with all the AXN vs. Easystar bickering in the beginning.

Not wanting to sift through 2000+ pages of info, would someone please give me the cliff notes on recommended mods? My most interest at this time is installing landing gear. I would like to practice so that I can be proficient when I move on to more scale planes such as an F-4U with retracts (my dream plane....probably years down the road). I saw someone glued a dowel to the underbelly and attached wheels to that. While it is a very genious method, I prefer something a bit more visually appealing. I am thinking about getting some carbon fiber LG from HK and sandwiching them to the fuse via a strip of wood in the battery tray. Any thoughts? What have other people done?

Another mod I'd be interested in is with the motor mount. I read a while back on the nixler thread where someone cnc'd an aluminum mount that fit perfectly in the motor pod, allowing the pilot to raise the motor up and install larger props. This would be VERY interesting to me, as I'd like to experiment with different motor / prop combos.

It's a lengthy post, and I'm sorry for being that guy that asks a question that's probably already been answered. This thread is huge, and I would probably not be finished reading it by the time my AXN arrives in the mail. Thanks in advance to all who pass forward their knowledge!
I think one mod you might want to consider is chopping the wingtips off 2" past the end of the ailerons.

It will roll much better w/ ailerons only and is still very floaty. It will not fall out of the sky if you cut the throttle.
js32257 is offline Find More Posts by js32257
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:24 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post

Don't do any mods for awhile, I almost ruined my AXN by trying a different motor and prop. The landing gear could be interesting. I think a single glider style wheel on the bottom would be the best option. That way you wouldn't ruin the great aerodynamics this plane has.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:49 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
I flew my AXN for the second outing again today. I took advice I got here and put some packaging tape on the bottom and took off from the grass. I also added some stick on weights to the tail under the horizontal stab. It flew great. Not much else to say. Great flier. Stock power is more than adequate for me. I need some new prop saver o-rings. What size are these? Hobbyking is all out. I have one spare left from the kit, but want to have spares on hand.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:57 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I flew my AXN for the second outing again today. I took advice I got here and put some packaging tape on the bottom and took off from the grass. I also added some stick on weights to the tail under the horizontal stab. It flew great. Not much else to say. Great flier. Stock power is more than adequate for me. I need some new prop saver o-rings. What size are these? Hobbyking is all out. I have one spare left from the kit, but want to have spares on hand.
These are the best bands to purchase. Never broken one, they are tight to put on but very good bands.

http://www.wmparkflyers.com/Pages/propsaverbands.aspx

If I was you I would get a 3mm colet and do away with the bands all together.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._type_3mm.html they are also sold in many other locations that might be quicker shipping them

I haven't heard of the need to put weights on the rear of the plane as it is generally tail heavy stock, with the need to put in a heavy battery 2200 instead of the recommended 1300 with additional weights in the front. Not saying your wrong or anything but it seems strange needing weights in the rear.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:48 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,770 Posts
Yeah, I know I'm the only one, but it's nose heavy at the CF rod, and still a little bit with the weights. It seemed to glide better and longer with the weights and fly better. Maybe I'm just a bit more skilled now. I'm new so the curve is steep right now.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:06 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,330 Posts
I updated the FPV gear on my Floater and I get quite a long range. It goes way out of sight with a good video picture.

Great plane for FPV but will not use it in a small field until I get more experience to land close to the trees as it glides a long way without coming down. (Do not ask why not the small field - a small repair) The small flying wings will do for the small field, as they come down fast and still in control.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:16 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,349 Posts
Well the old original electronics of the poor Clouds are coming alive in something..... diferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I updated the FPV gear on my Floater and I get quite a long range. It goes way out of sight with a good video picture.
What system are you using? (freq for video and control)

Quote:
Great plane for FPV but will not use it in a small field until I get more experience to land close to the trees as it glides a long way without coming down. (Do not ask why not the small field - a small repair) The small flying wings will do for the small field, as they come down fast and still in control.
when you get the hold and many hours you will fly it nearly anywhere..
i renember when i started in this, even having some trees arround made it a no no.. now i had even flown from a 15X10m strip.. tought the hot landing there didnt ended much well
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR 250 CloneOut FPV
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:20 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,330 Posts
Quote:

What system are you using? (freq for video and control)

when you get the hold and many hours you will fly it nearly anywhere..
i remember when i started in this, even having some trees around made it a no no.. now i had even flown from a 15X10m strip.. tought the hot landing there didnt ended much well

Using the following:

Camera - brilliant camera and quite cheap. You can use the cheap HK camera but this is much clearer:
http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...-Menu-DNR.html

The case comes separately and you do not have to use a case but I like to protect the camera. The case is very heavy but I need weight on the nose.

There are 3.3v and 5v video TXs. The 3.3v one needs a 3.3v power supply.
http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=217

Power Supply: http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=161

5v Transmitter:
http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=304
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/fpv-equipm...t-c-70_76.html

Most people buy the 5v versions:
http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=304

Or you just buy one of these which is heavier:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Tx_Rx_Set.html

I made the Clover Leaf and SPW antennas but probably not worth the effort as I just bought a set for about $23 and $10 postage.
http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...-video-antenna

Also using a Futaba 9C with a FrSky telemetry module. The beeps are good before you go out of range. I also have a 2.4 amplifier and patch but have not tried them to date.

I could go on forever but just let me know if you have any further questions.

Just noticed you have done a bit more FPV than I have. I am currently setting up a X5 with OSD, RTH etc. Hopefully will be good.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Jan 22, 2013 at 04:33 AM.