HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:59 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
First flights with the new motor went very well, it has so much more power than the wimpy stock motor. My mount turned out to be fine, the gorilla glue filled in the gap around the one screw and it's very secure. The only problem was the ESC overheating, it's a 30 amp and I could only get a few seconds of full power before it shut off. I'm going to have to get a 45 amp.

The only thing that slightly annoying about the new motor is that I had to add nose weight to keep the plane balanced. I hope that once I have a telemetry module with a GPS sensor, I won't need the dead weight anymore.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:06 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Get an SBEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
First flights with the new motor went very well, it has so much more power than the wimpy stock motor. My mount turned out to be fine, the gorilla glue filled in the gap around the one screw and it's very secure. The only problem was the ESC overheating, it's a 30 amp and I could only get a few seconds of full power before it shut off. I'm going to have to get a 45 amp.

The only thing that slightly annoying about the new motor is that I had to add nose weight to keep the plane balanced. I hope that once I have a telemetry module with a GPS sensor, I won't need the dead weight anymore.
That may not be necessary. What is the max amps the new motor draws?? If it is below 30 amps, I suggest that you get a switching BEC and your problem will be solved. An inbuilt linear BEC will cause a LOT more heat than an external SBEC.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:34 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
That may not be necessary. What is the max amps the new motor draws?? If it is below 30 amps, I suggest that you get a switching BEC and your problem will be solved. An inbuilt linear BEC will cause a LOT more heat than an external SBEC.
AJ
I don't know the exact amps, but Hobbyking says 34 and they recommend a 40a esc.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:43 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,428 Posts
Quote:
I don't know the exact amps, but Hobbyking says 34 and they recommend a 40a esc.
A wattmeter would be useful, but if it's shutting down early I would try a 6x4 prop. (assuming you still run a 6x5.5)
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:00 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
A wattmeter would be useful, but if it's shutting down early I would try a 6x4 prop. (assuming you still run a 6x5.5)
Wouldn't 6x4 still be running it on the edge of overheating? I don't really know how much the difference in pitch changes the amp draw.

I'll look into getting a wattmeter soon.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
When I ran the same motor that hendrnk uses, I found that by cutting a small slot (for the speed controller wires) in the canopy and then mounting the ESC on top of the canopy really cooled the speed controller down even if I flew wot virtually all the flight.

It may sound ugly but at the end of the day, nobody could see the ESC in flight so, for me, at least, it didn't matter.

Interestingly, because I could never get the AXN to fly well after installing that motor, after about 3 months, I gave up and went back to the stock motor. I never did find MASSIVE amounts of speed with that motor because, quite honestly, the plane would sometimes do the weirdest of things with no warning so I was always waiting to have to suddenly shove in urgent commands to save the thing.

I'm NOT saying don't use that motor as I know other's have had great results. I'm saying that, for me, even though the stock motor's slower, I really appreciate KNOWING what the AXN's going to do which allows me to get away with all manner of daring stuff. Horses for courses I suppose.

Still, without arguing with anyone, I'd never say my stock motor was wimpy. Maybe I just lucky with my three AXN's?

By the way fwa2500, I also, liked the snow in the video as it takes me back to when I used to live in the UK. But it certainly does look much nicer than actually being IN the snow. I can still remember way back in the 1970's trying to get an i.c motor to start and run properly whilst I was standing on cold compacted snow. After an hour of this, I finally gave up but when I tried to stand (after being hunched over swearing and cursing the plane) I realised I couldn't feel my feet at all. Worse than that- my previously 'fine example' of manhood had shrivelled up into almost nothing.

I managed to stagger to my car and feebly drive 200 metres to my mums house. Even after an hour long bath in HOT water both I and my pec*er were looking worse for wear.

Fortunately both of us made a full recovery but ever since the sight of snow gets Mr Naughty very nervous.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Last edited by Beanz; Jan 17, 2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:31 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,428 Posts
The 4 inch pitch will pull less watts, and should give a bit more rpm. There's a good calculator for approximation on the Castle website.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:40 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
The 6x4 3blade I'm running on the stock motor heats up the stock 25a esc pretty good when I am running it up static but its so cold outside that it never heats up even when flying WOT That's why I put my ESC on the outside and like Beanz said no one can see it while its in the air.
kennyhoc3 is offline Find More Posts by kennyhoc3
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:02 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
When I ran the same motor that hendrnk uses, I found that by cutting a small slot (for the speed controller wires) in the canopy and then mounting the ESC on top of the canopy really cooled the speed controller down even if I flew wot virtually all the flight.

It may sound ugly but at the end of the day, nobody could see the ESC in flight so, for me, at least, it didn't matter.

Interestingly, because I could never get the AXN to fly well after installing that motor, after about 3 months, I gave up and went back to the stock motor. I never did find MASSIVE amounts of speed with that motor because, quite honestly, the plane would sometimes do the weirdest of things with no warning so I was always waiting to have to suddenly shove in urgent commands to save the thing.

I'm NOT saying don't use that motor as I know other's have had great results. I'm saying that, for me, even though the stock motor's slower, I really appreciate KNOWING what the AXN's going to do which allows me to get away with all manner of daring stuff. Horses for courses I suppose.

Still, without arguing with anyone, I'd never say my stock motor was wimpy. Maybe I just lucky with my three AXN's?

By the way fwa2500, I also, liked the snow in the video as it takes me back to when I used to live in the UK. But it certainly does look much nicer than actually being IN the snow. I can still remember way back in the 1970's trying to get an i.c motor to start and run properly whilst I was standing on cold compacted snow. After an hour of this, I finally gave up but when I tried to stand (after being hunched over swearing and cursing the plane) I realised I couldn't feel my feet at all. Worse than that- my previously 'fine example' of manhood had shrivelled up into almost nothing.

I managed to stagger to my car and feebly drive 200 metres to my mums house. Even after an hour long bath in HOT water both I and my pec*er were looking worse for wear.

Fortunately both of us made a full recovery but ever since the sight of snow gets Mr Naughty very nervous.
I run a 60amp ESC inside the plane with very little ventilation as the big 4s battery blocks the airflow and it doesn't ever get warm.

I.e. just get a bigger ESC all will be OK.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:03 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Beanz, I would still be using the regular motor if the lhs had 3mm prop adapters in stock. I didn't want to wait for slow hobbyking, and the local store wasn't going to re-stock them for awhile.

I'm not sure about mounting the esc on the outside, it could create some serious drag at high speeds. I think the 40-45 amp esc is still the best idea, no more messing around trying to get a 30 amp to work.
Last edited by gooby; Jan 17, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:14 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Beanz, I would still be using the regular motor if the lhs had 3mm prop adapters in stock. I didn't want to wait for slow hobbyking, and the local store wasn't going to re-stock them for awhile.

I'm not sure about mounting the esc on the outside, it could create some serious drag at high speeds. I think the 40-45 amp esc is still the best idea, no more messing around trying to get a 30 amp to work.
What is the maximum rated watts of the motor? It is good idea to stay below the max amps of BOTH the ESC and Motor..
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Jan 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:30 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
What is the maximum rated watts of the motor. It is good idea to stay below the max.
AJ
Maximum according to hobbyking is 34a.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:38 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
I found this thread on rcpowers about different props vs amp draw with the D2826-6. With a 6X5E the poster says it draws 21.2 amps, so I don't see why a 30amp esc wouldn't work.
Last edited by gooby; Jan 17, 2013 at 11:44 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:25 AM
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
As far as DRAG is concerned, I found zero noticeable difference with a 50A ESC taped to the canopy.

I also found that when I also taped a 200 gram digital camera to either;

1) The canopy near where it rests against the fuse nearest the motor
2) attached to the fuse underneath the wing area looking sideways towards the wing tips
3) Same position as 2 except looking downwards

This standard camera's dimensions were about 100mm wide X about 65mm high X about 25mm thick

In these positions, ONCE AIRBORNE I found my AXN still flew perfectly. (I did have to compensate a bit by trimming the plane's rudder and/or ailerons temporarily but once that was done it was fine. I got some stunning footage including some aerial views of a neighbour's house when he was looking to put the house on the market. From that video, he grabbed some still frames that were so clear they were used in the marketing of the house.

I did find the plane didn't glide quite as well but again, in no way was it any sort of a hindrance.

I do admit that I tend to be a bit blase' at times. I could easily have used my keychain camera but as my digital camera was 12mp and I wanted to get some REALLY clear video, I just decided to take the chance. I've since flown dozens of times with this heavy camera with no problems.

I make the illustrations above, just as a way of pointing out that, AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED a piddly ESC on top of the canopy has very little drag effect on my AXN. I'm guessing yours should be no different.
Last edited by Beanz; Jan 18, 2013 at 01:32 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:55 AM
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
Again on the subject of drag, you may already be aware that commercial aircraft (747's etc) can actually carry an extra engine attached to their wing. I tried downloading a photo but gave up as it was probably too big. But here's one;

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=co...r:47,s:0,i:229

It just shows that if a 747 can carry that extra lump of (non-powered) metal for thousands of miles, an external ESC on an AXN isn't much of a problem.

My apologies if I'm labouring on the subject. Just trying to help rather than prove any points.