HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:01 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetluge Chris View Post
Hi gents
Iv'e just put one of these together stock set up only change is 3s 2200 .
But I must have done something wrong I tried 4 hand launches with it and it just nose dives.

What am I doing wrong.
I'm using Dx7 30% expo 100% rates
Hello, It might be the way you launch it. It will always want to nose down a little bit on take off. What I do and find the most fun and effective is to put the throttle around 50%-70% then huck it as hard as I can about 40 degrees into the air. I immediately get on the sticks and gas it and pull up. I have launched it with my mouth and left hand a few times but I find it still dips too close to the ground then.

The more throttle you use the more it will push towards the ground on take off so try it around 50% first.

Good luck and happy flying. If you are still having issues I will try and make a video of what I do
kennyhoc3 is offline Find More Posts by kennyhoc3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:15 PM
Joined Oct 2006
35 Posts
I'm new to planes so it bit on a learning curve having flown helis and a wing.
I tried some trim on the elevator .
One I did notice with the power on it felt like the prop is pushing the plane down.
Will check the ch again what's best for 2200 3s battery.

Thanks.
Streetluge Chris is offline Find More Posts by Streetluge Chris
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:24 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
I'm new to planes so it bit on a learning curve having flown helis and a wing.
I tried some trim on the elevator .
One I did notice with the power on it felt like the prop is pushing the plane down.
Will check the ch again what's best for 2200 3s battery.

Thanks.
The prop does push down, thats why you don't want full throttle. COG should be around 50 - 55mm from leading edge. Basically in the middle of the foam insert over the carbon fiber rod.

Few guys at my local club purchased the AXN after I had shown them how it handles, and most of the issues I see with them launching is not pushing the plane forward and up. I won't let them launch mine any more.

I either launch it with my right hand, or let it take off from the ground. I have more power than most so getting off the ground is easy. It goes straight from zero feet to vertical.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:50 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I either launch it with my right hand, or let it take off from the ground. I have more power than most so getting off the ground is easy. It goes straight from zero feet to vertical.
What motor do you use?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:56 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,328 Posts
all the axn in this video are using stock motor
Puncak Jalil 06-01-13 (3 min 45 sec)
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:02 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyhoc3 View Post
What motor do you use?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post23622653
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Oct 2006
35 Posts
I give it another go.
I manage ok hand launching the wing but I would say I give the wing full throttle.
Could I be giving the anx to much hence it being pushed down.

I have the elevator on the middle hole for the throw should out be on the first to get max throw?
Streetluge Chris is offline Find More Posts by Streetluge Chris
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:17 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
I give it another go.
I manage ok hand launching the wing but I would say I give the wing full throttle.
Could I be giving the anx to much hence it being pushed down.

I have the elevator on the middle hole for the throw should out be on the first to get max throw?
Middle hole shouldn't matter as you only need a little up elevator. I have launched some on the outer hole with no problems.

Full throttle is probably causing some of your issues.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:55 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, I'll look into getting one of those soon!
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:05 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyhoc3 View Post
Thanks, I'll look into getting one of those soon!
I would recommend the 2200 kv engine with a 6X5 prop. 2200 4S battery.

make sure you strengthen the plane as it will violent turns, loops & rolls. You will rip the wings off if its not strengthened.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:21 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
I would recommend the 2200 kv engine with a 6X5 prop. 2200 4S battery.

make sure you strengthen the plane as it will violent turns, loops & rolls. You will rip the wings off if its not strengthened.
Ok Thank you, Good point haha. Maybe I will save that for a new airframe
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:16 AM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
I did some more high speed flights with my AXN today in some wind. Most of the downwind passes were in the 80's with the highest speed being 88 mph. I'm still trying to get the AXN to consistently go over 100 mph, but the stock motor doesn't seem to have the power.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:47 AM
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
Streetluge Chris

As hendrnk's already said, don't give too much throttle. It is a glider, after all. Personally I'd try launching it with about 1/3rd throttle and a good throw. That way you should have a few seconds while it glides/aims slightly downward. You can then gently open the throttle to half throttle but put in a bit of up elevator. Once you have gained some height, you can experiment with throttle setting.

I'd avoid giving wide open throttle (wot) until you have a few flights under your belt.

However, I cannot recommend strongly enough the advantages of taking off from the ground. Unless you're flying from long grass (in which case why not mow yourself a take off area?) I think you'll find this a great improvement. Again, if you do this, be careful about how much throttle you give as (with mine anyway) anything more than half throttle sees the AXN spinning around in circles like a fly with one wing removed). I'd suggest about 1/3rd throttle and steer with RUDDER until it's airborne (as on the ground, the ailerons won't be a lot of use).

Not only do I find this a massive help (in terms of getting mine flying) but it's just so much fun. You can pretty much let it run along the ground until YOU want it to fly, then shove in a bit of elevator and up she goes. I would also recommend putting some parcel tape on the underside of the fuse where it would be in contact with the ground (and avoid using rubber bands around the fuse as they tend to stop the plane sliding across the ground).

Kennyhoc3 Thanks for the info about your colour scheme. It sounds as though it really helps. I'm thinking of also adding a chrome stripe to the leading edge of the wing (using a self-adhesive chrome stripe) if I can find any. I've seen these stripes somewhere...It's just a case of remembering where. I think maybe they used to be available for push bikes?

The idea is that (especially over here where we have something like 300 days of sunshine a year) the chrome will catch the sun and help me to know 100% which way it's heading. My eyes just aren't what they used to be.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Last edited by Beanz; Jan 08, 2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:30 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
Beanz I used chrome tape before and am not a fan if you get a good glint it kind of blacks out the plane if you know what I mean especially at altitude I only had a 1cm stip. I'm not saying not to use it, I just wasn't a fan, I liked the flouro colours more.
Iv'e had 3 night flights so far and starting to really like it. Something a little different bit of a challenge.
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:26 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
Name: photo (18).jpg
Views: 81
Size: 33.2 KB
Description:

Name: photo (19).jpg
Views: 68
Size: 27.4 KB
Description:

Name: photo (20).jpg
Views: 69
Size: 26.5 KB
Description:

Name: photo (21).jpg
Views: 74
Size: 36.7 KB
Description:

Hello all, I am hoping to maiden my AXN this weekend...calling for 50 degrees...yowza!!! been in the 20 ans windy everyday since I got this for Xmas...Now I have read this thread skipped ahead an gone back to read more...I would AJ look at my pics and see if anything jumps out that is off..Not my 1st plane but still a newbie..Thanks for any advice... Ohh btw..using a Dx6i for TX with 25 % up on elevator for take off, 100% 70 % on dual rates if I need them. No Flaps yet will install them as needed...now some pictures for you all..
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio