HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:01 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html
Thanks I'm Port Adelaide born and bred. The link is for the Camera and just my windows 7 movie maker very budget but fair Quality
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:52 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2012
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
Pictures of my 3rd AXN. The sleek trim down version.

Flying with either of these 2 motors and 4s 2200 battery pack.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_595W.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_696W.html
holy crap...do you have your plane on video anywhere?
urbansniper is online now Find More Posts by urbansniper
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:41 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
I tried out the rscstarter app for measuring the speed of the AXN and it seemed to work quite well. I got mostly 70's (mph) downwind level, but a 96mph and a 107 mph after huge dives. These are probably just errors, but it's fun to imagine an AXN going over 100mph.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:21 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ACE View Post
http://youtu.be/Y_VDZNiSoQY
Bit of evening flying camera angle isn't the best bit to much canopy.
I mount my keychain camera right at the nose using foam and rubber bands so you don't see any of the canopy. I have a magnetically attached wide-angle lens for it now, which is very good. Note the string from the back of the camera to the battery which stops it falling off (so far!). I also have a "backpack" mounted Sony 600 TVL camera plus VTx for FPV (too heavy for the extreme nose) but haven't got around to field testing it yet (it works OK in my workshop). The ORX stabiliser helps to stabilise the image quite well, especially in the roll axis.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:20 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
After some great flights today I decided to look around the house for some paint so I can see the AXN better when it's up high or in front of clouds. I found some apple barrel acrylic paints and went to town. Didn't spend a great deal of time as it looks good from a few feet away I should never lose sight of it! This paint is amazing, It stick's really well and dries in a couple minutes and a little goes a long ways! I am debating changing the pink to black or blue to match the top lol I will see after a couple flights tomorrow.
kennyhoc3 is offline Find More Posts by kennyhoc3
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:07 AM
Joined Sep 2012
154 Posts
Great idea Kennyhok3- let us know if it actually helps when your plane is in the air. Like a lot of people, I have almost crashed planes due to flying against a cloudy sky. I painted my last AXN black on the underside, which really helped- especially when I'd rolled out of a loop quite high up and for a second or two had no idea which way up the plane was.

In those circumstances I find by throttling right back, this brilliant plane just rights itself far faster than I could.

I flew my two AXN's today with a three blade prop- http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...eller_6x4.html

I was delighted with the increase in acceleration. A fellow club member also flew his with one of these and he was also pretty impressed. I'd tried to order one of the 3 blade props that someone had used on this thread a few weeks ago but they were out of stock, which is why we got the 3 blader's above.

If I had to guess (and it would be a guess) I'd say the AXN's had maybe 10% to 15% more power- which, when you consider we're talking about a $4 prop, is incredible. I'd tried the motor hendrnk had used a couple of months ago but personally hadn't liked how it effected the flight characteristics so went back to the stock motor but simply by strapping on this prop, I had an immediate power gain.

The plane also sounded smoother. Instead of the typical AXN knarling sound it was more of a 'whizz' type sound and quite a bit quieter.

I just used the usually O ring (slipped over one blade and attached to the prop saver grub screw thingy -and then the other half of the O ring passed between the two remaining blades) but I had to smooth the edges of the blade (right near the hub) to prevent the sharp blade cutting the O ring. I will use a collet in future.

All in all, highly recommended!
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:16 AM
Joined Sep 2012
154 Posts
delcie70

Maybe it's just me but on hearing you're thinking of flying close to a 4 lane motorway, I feel you might be pushing your luck a tad. It doesn't sound as though you have insurance and I know from experience how the sight of a model plane in the air can be a distraction for motorists, all it would take is for one driver to take their eyes off the road for a few seconds to cause an accident. In that situation I would imagine lawyers would be after you.

It's your call but my gut feeling is, it's not worth the risk.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Old Jan 06, 2013, 01:09 AM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Beanz

Thanks I will keep you updated yeah I figured the black would help me out especially on the tail fin

I use that same prop! Its amazing. I noticed it is so much quieter too! Just watch out for your motor magnets coming out or the set screws on the motor. Mine all started coming loose lol
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:00 AM
U Bend em - we mend em
Australia, NSW, Henty
Joined Jun 2011
73 Posts
My AXN Mods and Maiden Flight

Having read a few of the many of pages in this AXN thread, I thought I ought to do a few of the mods some people have carried out before I fly it.
It didínít take too long to put the AXN CF together for flight. I was quite surprised at the extra length of the Rudder and Elevator pushrods which if not cut off, could cause some potential damage to the battery, but a number of tips in the thread informed me what to do (Fantastic thread BTW). The first mod. I did was to the battery compartment cutting about 3mm of each side where the Lipo is to fit. Then, using a piece of plastic moulding (shaped like a "T" beam) that is used to join pannelling inside older style caravan walls. I dremmeled some slots to take medium length velcro straps and then used the equivalent of Gorilla Glue to stick this to the floor of the cockpit where Iíd previously taken out a bit of foam from the formers. Another mod., was to insert a thin carbon rod to strengthen the Elevator, glued in mainly with CA but with a dab of GG equivalent at the ends, see pic. The third mod. I did was, to buy a plastic nose spinner, cut the inside away and glue it on the nose of the CF (Ďcos I knew I would be having a few dings)

I've now managed to maiden my AXN, not without its problems though..... Not only was it the maiden for the AXN, it was my first ever RC Flight !
My flying field is literally a field (as in a big paddock on my daughters farm [at the moment wheat stubble] (so no one could see me).
First made a couple of not so good launches, then found I didnít have to worry too much (as long as I threw it fairly horizontal) but it kept banking to the left and donk. So had to take back to vehicle to do some running repairs (mainly on the nose)
I tried sorting out the banking so my noob solution was to put on some aileron trim 'cos the ailerons were not sitting level with the TE .
Anyway, after a couple more launches it (and me) seemed to perform better.

Eventually, got it to a decent climbout and did a sort of circle then lost orientation and donk (cartwheel donk) The wings were only held in by the 19mm white tape(as Firepower suggested), but did suffer a bit, in the cartwheel)
Back to vehicle to do a some more running repairs and then managed a full circle and half decent landing, then an OK launch and another cartwheel donk which reshaped the AXN into an X plane [see pic]

I think I will have to glue in some hooks to hold the wings by rubber bands, and fix the spar covers better.
Its got a bit misshapen around the cockpit area - I've attached a pic
Any way nothing that a bit of tape, glue, hot water and some TLC should be able to fix.
I know I've got a lot more to learn (yep, I'm using a sim) particularly with the programming of EPA/Throws/Subtrims/DR & Expo on my DX7s which ain't straight forward for a newbie, and the trimming when things are not going to plan.
Anyway, thats my story so far.
PJ
Proper Job is offline Find More Posts by Proper Job
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:17 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,193 Posts
Well this is it.. the Clouds had bought it and this time is done for good..

Yesterday i took it to try the adjustements i had done after finding out that its nose up issues (and partly its maniac tipstall behaviour) were caused by a too small trim interval in er9X..

seting up in medium now the trim did worked fine and the plane could be flown nicely ... and just as i was thinkin in my head that it was saved , at low speed and about 5m high i switched in the radio from mode 2 to mode 4 to hand it to a friend .. the plane stoped responding to ailerons and elevator ..like if it was stalling .. tried to nose it down but it didnt obeyed me.. tipstalled and spiralled down and elevator didnt responded on the way down.. impact nose down against concrete floor.. totalled

its in several pieces.. it has crashed from 100m high in the past and spiraled down many times , but never like this.. fuse is in several parts.. nose totally smashed.. wings broke from the plane in one piece riping throught it .. vertical stab riped ...

I could probably try to repair it again.. but it was allready almost more glue than foam... now it would literally be more glue than foam.. so i think its time to stop with this old bird..

well... it lasted almost 3 years.. and its a cheap foamie after all.. i was quite enraged by how it just fell and smashed by no aparent reason.. but my friends reminded me how they had lost planes handcrafter worth more than 1000€ ... so i guess i shouldnt be such upset..

Actually im more upset because in the crash it ruined one of my 2 good 30C 2200 batteries.. its a bit bent on one side , i tested it and cell 3 perform way lower than the others.. so its ruined i guess.. cant trust it anymore..

And its not the first battery this plane ruins.. in another crash it smashed another new good LiPo...
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:59 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,089 Posts
I have never heard of a driver blaming an accident on an outside distraction and getting away with it. Drivers are responsible for the trajectory of their vehicles.just don't fly over the road, that could be seen as intentionally causing a distraction, or negligence if it drifts there by mistake. In any case, the suggestion of using caution is valid. I just refuse to live as I in fear of constant litigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
delcie70

Maybe it's just me but on hearing you're thinking of flying close to a 4 lane motorway, I feel you might be pushing your luck a tad. It doesn't sound as though you have insurance and I know from experience how the sight of a model plane in the air can be a distraction for motorists, all it would take is for one driver to take their eyes off the road for a few seconds to cause an accident. In that situation I would imagine lawyers would be after you.

It's your call but my gut feeling is, it's not worth the risk.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:09 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
2,853 Posts
You say "I have never heard of a driver blaming an accident on an outside distraction "

Well over here if you wave another driver on and he has an accident, the insurance companies can hold you as partially to blame and put a % of blame to you. Guess you can call that an outside distraction and held to blame.

Anyway you have it in one " In any case, the suggestion of using caution is valid. I just refuse to live as I in fear of constant litigation."
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:19 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
Great idea Kennyhok3- let us know if it actually helps when your plane is in the air. Like a lot of people, I have almost crashed planes due to flying against a cloudy sky. I painted my last AXN black on the underside, which really helped- especially when I'd rolled out of a loop quite high up and for a second or two had no idea which way up the plane was.
So I had some great flights today. It was nice and clear out (still 25 degrees) with about a 5mph steady breeze. Which made for some nice side slipping fun! I flew it for about an hour in front of my house trying to work on slow landings and catching the plane (or as my brother call's it "Hulk Smashing")

Flew it into the fence once trying to catch it, then went to the park before it got dark.
I flew it around 400 feet up and maybe 800 feet out to where the plane starts getting small and hard to see and It was still pretty visible. The black on the body helped and having the wings painted the way they are helps as well. Makes it very bright in the sun.

I got a few of compliments from neighbors and people at the park even dogs loved (chasing) it

The more I fly this plane, the more I love it! Especially now that I've gotten some of the kinks ironed out! Still dealing with the motor magnets coming loose but I'll probably order an upgraded motor once my newly refurbished ESC gets here.
I am using the stock 25a esc placed on the outside. It gets hot when running it up static, but with the weather here it cools off nice when flying.

When this body is no longer airworthy I will order a new one and paint it again and probably order some lights for night flying
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Oct 2006
24 Posts
Hi gents
Iv'e just put one of these together stock set up only change is 3s 2200 .
But I must have done something wrong I tried 4 hand launches with it and it just nose dives.

What am I doing wrong.
I'm using Dx7 30% expo 100% rates
Streetluge Chris is offline Find More Posts by Streetluge Chris
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:59 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetluge Chris View Post
Hi gents
Iv'e just put one of these together stock set up only change is 3s 2200 .
But I must have done something wrong I tried 4 hand launches with it and it just nose dives.

What am I doing wrong.
I'm using Dx7 30% expo 100% rates
Where is the COG on the AXN?.

With stock motor, make sure you takeoff with around 75% throttle, with a big push with 20 - 30 degree up angle into the wind.

If it still nose dives why not put in some up trim until you can get it in the air for proper trimming.

Once trimmed for level flight at 50% throttle, I mixed in 10% up elevator on a switch just for take offs.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk