SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:33 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
The new V2 as listed can be switched off. It works well when setup correctly especially for the price. Great when it is windy especially on landing and taking off. It hinders aerobatics a little as it takes some of the edge off the controls. Like switching on dual rates.

I did a demo at the flying field, and landed some guys plane with just using the throttle with fairly gusty strong wind. I set up the approach and just use the throttle for height control, had to touch the ailerons may be once every 5 seconds just to keep the wings level.
You say " had to touch the ailerons may be once every 5 seconds just to keep the wings level.["

Which sounds really great but sounds like no accelerometers as the FY20 with accelerometers you can do a completely hands off landing.

But you pay 5 times as much for the FY20 but a bit cheaper these days.

I wondered what the difference was.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:25 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcie70 View Post
Hendrnk:

What part of the world you live in?

How much you want for the V1?

How will it affect flying if pitch control can not be turned off?
I'm in Chicago IL.

The V1 or V2 is a 3d stabilizer so it just adjusts for forces against the plane. i.e. gusting wind. If you cannot turn off pitch it will just smooth out pitch from any wind gusts. It will not fly the plane for you.

You can read up all about it here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1702672
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:35 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
You say " had to touch the ailerons may be once every 5 seconds just to keep the wings level.["

Which sounds really great but sounds like no accelerometers as the FY20 with accelerometers you can do a completely hands off landing.

But you pay 5 times as much for the FY20 but a bit cheaper these days.

I wondered what the difference was.
From memory FY-20 is a 2D stabilizer so it will always got back to straight & level flight that you set but you cannot do aerobatics with it. You set the level flight path and it will bring you back to the point everytime you let go of the controls. With the HK V1 / V2 is a 3D so when you let go of the controls it locks in the plane at that attitude but will drift slightly depending how much you turn up the control dials, how windy it is or how stable your plan is.

Best of both worlds is the 2D/3D Guardian which you can adjust the gains & modes while flying..
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:24 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Hendrnk:

The more I think about it, being a newbie, maybe 3 axis is good. How much would take for on of your V1's?

I ask where you lived to see if you were in US. I don't like to wait forever to get things I buy.
delcie70 is offline Find More Posts by delcie70
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:47 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,277 Posts
Quote:
From memory FY-20 is a 2D stabilizer so it will always got back to straight & level flight that you set but you cannot do aerobatics with it. You set the level flight path and it will bring you back to the point everytime you let go of the controls. With the HK V1 / V2 is a 3D so when you let go of the controls it locks in the plane at that attitude but will drift slightly depending how much you turn up the control dials, how windy it is or how stable your plan is.

Best of both worlds is the 2D/3D Guardian which you can adjust the gains & modes while flying..
The FY20 is 3D stabilization like the Guardian and you just turn it off on the transmitter to do aerobatics. http://www.fpvflying.com/products/FY...n-System-.html

I have had all the eagletree stuff for 4 years and never used it , elogger, osd pro etc so now it will be good with the Guardian. I suspect the Guardian is a good one and can be turned off and on by the transmitter.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:44 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
The FY20 is 3D stabilization like the Guardian and you just turn it off on the transmitter to do aerobatics. http://www.fpvflying.com/products/FY...n-System-.html

I have had all the eagletree stuff for 4 years and never used it , elogger, osd pro etc so now it will be good with the Guardian. I suspect the Guardian is a good one and can be turned off and on by the transmitter.
The Guardian can be set for 3D & heading hold, so if you have a 3D plane you can keep a knife edge and just use the rudder to control height or do knife edge loops. Or take off and hold a hover by just playing with the throttle. Its a lot of fun for showing off.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:07 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,277 Posts
Quote:
The Guardian can be set for 3D & heading hold, so if you have a 3D plane you can keep a knife edge and just use the rudder to control height or do knife edge loops. Or take off and hold a hover by just playing with the throttle. Its a lot of fun for showing off.
I'd use it for heading hold and maybe 3D later but sounds great.

Thanks
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:16 PM
hjukhjuk
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,066 Posts
My "Cloudsfly" finally reached the clouds! I skimmed the bottom layer (800ft) using a frsky receiver and a simple fpv backpack. After I landed and took off the fpv equipment (takes only a few seconds), I was doing extremely fast low passes. I'll have to try the doppler speedometer next time.
gooby is online now Find More Posts by gooby
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:23 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Maybe I have re-invented the wheel (pun intended) and this idea has already been posted. I was watching a program about WWII German aircraft on TV yesterday morning. One of the planes mentioned was a rocket powered fighter.

What, you might ask, does that have to with the AXN? They had the same problem putting a landing gear on the rocket plane as we do with the AXN. Weight! The solution? A landing gear that fell away on take off

Yesterday afternoon I built a tri-gear cradle out of styro foam and foam board. I went to the LHS and bought a Super Cub type main gear and I already had a steerable nose gear. I also had a spare Rx and servo. I crudely threw the parts together (interested in function over form) and taxi tested it in the street in front of my house this morning and it worked great. Even though I haven't flown my AXN yet, I have done something most of you haven't done. Minus wings, I played with it in the street like a RC car. LOL

My motivation for wanting a landing gear comes from living near a mall that has very few stores still open and a large area of paved parking lot that is unused. There is a strip of grass between the mall parking lot and a busy highway that is suitable for landing, but not take off. I have watched the videos showing the problems some people have had hand launching the AXN. Those crashes are bad enough on grass, let alone pavement. Being a newbie I could see that happening to me. It seems to me a take off from the ground reduces that possibility.

No plans or pic. (it is ugly) but I am sure that most of you can utilize the idea using you own spare parts. Enjoy!

DLC
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:02 PM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
I have never crashed hand launching but it does want to drop abit I throw it at full throttle about 30 degrees with a a good firm throw.
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:30 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
I finally got around to fixing my AXN last night and got brave enough to go fly out in the 19F degree weather (or lost patience) lol

Had a blast until I was turning base to final of my last flight and a motor mount set screw came out and then stalled into the ground
If its not one thing. It's another haha
kennyhoc3 is offline Find More Posts by kennyhoc3
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:15 PM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
AXN at Sunset (8 min 50 sec)

Bit of evening flying camera angle isn't the best bit to much canopy.
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
delsie70 Sounds like a good idea. However, I do have some hesitation about this idea;

Only last week I was thinking of making something similar for my HobbyKing FW190 Pirate (if you ever get the chance, grab one as they are fantastically priced when in stock and fly beautifully) because I've had a few incidents, bloody near misses or crashes due to hand launching (as I can never hand launch it myself and get my hand back on the radio in time to control it and when I've had mates hand launch it for me, occasionally they've done a poor job of the hand launch).

The idea was to have a drop away undercarriage so that once the plane was airborne, I didn't need to worry about the extra weight. The stock u/c for that plane was just a joke.

In the end I ordered an inexpensive undercarriage from Hobbyking. However, I still feel your idea could work.

You would need to make 100% sure the u/c you've built drops away and doesn't get hung up on the plane.

You've probably already read on this thread the massive benefits of a layer or two of clear parcel tape on the underside of the fuselage (preferably the type with fibreglass strands in).

There's very little weight to the stuff and I'd highly recommend it. However, I do also wonder if it might be an idea to go to a decent sized park and maiden your AXN first, before getting involved with your undercarriage idea. Obviously once you've got two or three flights of the AXN under your belt, you could then progress onto your u/c idea.

However, in my mind, there is a 'BUT' to your idea;

Having hand launched planes for over 35 years, I was amazed (and a bit embarrassed at leaving it so long) when I finally tried launching off of short mowed grass. It's SO MUCH EASIER! (especially with the AXN). I'm not sure just how wide and how long the grass strip you have near your mall is, but even with your adapted u/c , don't be surprised if you 'miss' your landing spot most of the time.

Alongside myself, many other r/c fliers I fly with (some who also have many years experience) can't get their AXN's down exactly where they want it.

There's usually a reason some ideas have not been tried before. Sometimes they have been tried but the results were less than impressive.

However, this sport/hobby has grown through people having the guts to try something new so don't let any of the above put you off. Maybe just bear it in mind.

I hope this helped.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:16 PM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ACE View Post
Bit of evening flying camera angle isn't the best bit to much canopy.
Nice video of Outer Harbour - well done.
Adelaide is my home town so the scene is familiar - albeit that I haven't been to the Port area for more than 10 years.

Cheers

BTW - what camera and editing software are you using?
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:09 AM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
You would need to make 100% sure the u/c you've built drops away and doesn't get hung up on the plane.
I didn't really build a u/c. What I built was more like a steerable cradle with wheels on it. The wings rest on the styro foam sides of the cradle. There are 1/4" dowels stuck in the foam sides that the leading edge of the wing push against. There is nothing to cause the device to hang up on the aircraft.

This is my first RC plane in a very long time and I haven't flown anything in recent years except simulators. (Clearview) The whole idea was to try to prevent nose dive crashes into the paved parking lot upon launch.

Quote:
I'm not sure just how wide and how long the grass strip you have near your mall is, but even with your adapted u/c , don't be surprised if you 'miss' your landing spot most of the time.
The grass strip is approx. 150 yards long where I can land into the prevailing wind. There are 2 problems to launch from there.

1. This strip of grass is across the road side ditch from a busy 4 lane highway. I really don't care to cause an accident by either hitting a car or a close call resulting from a bad launch.
2. The grass is too long for belly take off but great for landings. The grass is tall enough to cushion a less than perfect landing.

This is a beautiful aircraft and I hate the idea of putting a scratch on it, let alone smashing the nose out of shape. I really don't want to have to learn the "boiling water fixes foam" procedure at this time; especially on the maiden flight.

DLC