HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:42 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcie70 View Post
Thanks to everyone who responded to my first post.

I didn't change the wing servos; I changed the rudder and elevator servos in the fuse and stuck them to the inside of the fuse with double sided tape... Those are the servos that are moving.

I guess I made a newbie mistake.... No, I didn't test the new ESC in the air. I held the fuse in my hand with the ESC and battery just laying on the bench. That might explain why the ESC got hot. (no air flow over it), but why did the motor get almost too hot to hold?

Wait a minute: I think I just thought of the answer to my own question. By holding the plane while running at WOT the motor is really pulling more amps because of increased air resistance because it is not moving forward. The prop has to pull static air through it instead of cutting through the air. Relative wind, etc,etc. Also, in a static situation, a tractor motor would be somewhat cooled by it's own prop wash while a pusher motor doesn't have much movement of air around it. Make sense?

DLC
Most people just glue them in with whatever they prefer. I do not normally us hot melt glue but find it good to put for servos. It is only dabs around the edge but definitely enough so they will never move.

You could remove the tape and glue them in or just add the hot melt glue as well as the tape. I would just add the hot melt glue. Araldite/epoxy if too hard to get the hot melt glue in. I do not use the thick CA or any CA in case it gets inside the case.

Fairly good explanation why the motor got hot but usually no high power for more than a couple of seconds on the ground. Also not good to hold servos on for too long in one direction. I think a small amount is worse or just as bad as having the servos on full for too long. When doing range checks for 5 minutes I would not hold the servo on full one way all the time. I think this is good general information in regard to servos but maybe someone else can provide concise info.

120ccpm - good information about LiPos
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Jan 02, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 08:54 PM
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
708 Posts
The current draw will always drop once the model is moving forward and the prop unloads. Air flow over the motor will also keep it cool and your not going to get that until the model is flying.

When doing a range check, walk out maybe 50 yards and then just wiggle each control surface. Have someone else hold the model and acknowledge each control surface movement.
As for securing the servo's in. a generous dab of Hot Glue or RTV Silicon is quite sufficient.
Just remember to allow whatever you use to fully dry!
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:02 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
When doing range checks for 5 minutes I would not hold the servo on full one way all the time. I think this is good general information in regard to servos but maybe someone else can provide concise info.
Quote:
When doing a range check, walk out maybe 50 yards and then just wiggle each control surface. Have someone else hold the model and acknowledge each control surface movement.
Thanks to Firepower and Crashem Dave for the recent replys. Sometimes you overlook the obvious. Hot Glue should have been my first idea for a fix.

I am somewhat puzzled by the comments regarding range checks and holding servos. I wasn't doing any range checks. First post was only referring to static power testing heating concerns and the new servos (the entire servo body) moving while testing servo arm movement after installing inside fuse with double sided foam tape.

Another question: I have read through the first 175 pages of this thread. I was especially interested in the information about pitch control gyros. The problem is; the links to the gyros recommended a few years ago lead to websites where that product is no longer available. I can find head lock gyros on e-bay, but understand that they are not suitable for pitch control. Can anyone tell me where to find the proper gyro? (the inexpensive ones)

DLC
delcie70 is offline Find More Posts by delcie70
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:09 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to Firepower and Crashem Dave for the recent replys. Sometimes you overlook the obvious. Hot Glue should have been my first idea for a fix.

I am somewhat puzzled by the comments regarding range checks and holding servos. I wasn't doing any range checks. First post was only referring to static power testing heating concerns and the new servos (the entire servo body) moving while testing servo arm movement after installing inside fuse with double sided foam tape.

Another question: I have read through the first 175 pages of this thread. I was especially interested in the information about pitch control gyros. The problem is; the links to the gyros recommended a few years ago lead to websites where that product is no longer available. I can find head lock gyros on e-bay, but understand that they are not suitable for pitch control. Can anyone tell me where to find the proper gyro? (the inexpensive ones)

DLC
I have been trying the following:

http://eagletreesystems.com/guardian/

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28456

http://www.feiyu-tech.com/product-en.php?id=23

They are all different but all help for stabilization and work well.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:27 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,191 Posts
Quote:

DLC
I just included the servo info as it might be handy because of the other things you were doing like holding motor at wot on the ground.

I was going to say when you initially mentioned you were reading this thread from the start in that you are reading old information that refers to old AXNs and not the new ones. I understand they have made improvements with the servos and ESCs since the first one was made. It might be better to start with the newest and work backwards. or start near the end.

Someone may be able to advise on the cheaper gyros as I have gone with the FY20 which is mainly useful when flying fpv. So I thought but it is easy to fly fpv without the FY20.

With the FY20 it takes a small amount of setting up and a learner may crash while trying to get it to work. This may not be the case with the cheaper ones.

With the FY20 I can take off, fly and land with it turned on and it keeps the plane totally level in all ways. Sounds good but until set up it would not be too good for a learner. To put the FY20 in I had to move the servos.

This is an old photo as I have now removed the FPV gear but will now replace it seeing I have mine flying perfectly now.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:58 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I have been trying the following:

http://eagletreesystems.com/guardian/

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28456

http://www.feiyu-tech.com/product-en.php?id=23

They are all different but all help for stabilization and work well.
How does the cheaper HobbyKing one go? I understand it is on all the time and can not be switched off from a switch on the transmitter. Not sure if that is right.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:04 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
How does the cheaper HobbyKing one go? I understand it is on all the time and can not be switched off from a switch on the transmitter. Not sure if that is right.
The version 2 orange rx can be turned on or off with a switch on the tx.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:08 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
The new V2 as listed can be switched off. It works well when setup correctly especially for the price. Great when it is windy especially on landing and taking off. It hinders aerobatics a little as it takes some of the edge off the controls. Like switching on dual rates.

I did a demo at the flying field, and landed some guys plane with just using the throttle with fairly gusty strong wind. I set up the approach and just use the throttle for height control, had to touch the ailerons may be once every 5 seconds just to keep the wings level.
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:12 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
I was going to say when you initially mentioned you were reading this thread from the start in that you are reading old information that refers to old AXNs and not the new ones. I understand they have made improvements with the servos and ESCs since the first one was made. It might be better to start with the newest and work backwards. or start near the end.
That makes sense..... Wish I had thought of that before changing the ESC and servos. Even though I have yet to fly this plane, I am sure that it will be something I will fly for some time to come.... I think I may order another one and fly it stock without mods and use this one for spare parts OR just use this one to experiment on.

Looks like a great unit, but costs more than I care to spend.

The price is right, but I placed one order to the HK China warehouse and it took so long to get the order (3 weeks) that I really don't care to do it again.

This way more complicated than what I am looking for. (Ground station & etc.

Also, these are all 3 axis units.... What I am looking for is a 1 axis unit just for pitch control. Anyone else have any suggestions?

DLC
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:16 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
That makes sense..... Wish I had thought of that before changing the ESC and servos. Even though I have yet to fly this plane, I am sure that it will be something I will fly for some time to come.... I think I may order another one and fly it stock without mods and use this one for spare parts OR just use this one to experiment on.

Looks like a great unit, but costs more than I care to spend.

The price is right, but I placed one order to the HK China warehouse and it took so long to get the order (3 weeks) that I really don't care to do it again.

This way more complicated than what I am looking for. (Ground station & etc.

Also, these are all 3 axis units.... What I am looking for is a 1 axis unit just for pitch control. Anyone else have any suggestions?

DLC
I can sell you a HK unit, V1 that cannot be turned off and just connect the pitch. I have a few of them.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:33 AM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,045 Posts
Hello all,
New axn owner here and is almost ready to go, just need to hot glue servos on wings and I should be ready to maiden...well it about 12 degrees here tonight and been windy this past week but I can't wait....To let you all know what I have in my stash before buying this... Firebird Stratos....ummm supposed to be a great trainer..except the control rod slips..After a couple crashes put thisaway because I thought it was me...bought a super mini cub....same deal.. Rudder linkage came off after 1st flight and flew into the woods.(I did retrieve it)next I decided to start buying used off classifieds on this site. Bought a micro t-28 and loved it..then bought Champ and loved it even more...then bought another Champ because I like the plane so much..But, when I bought my first plane(Statos) I have had my eye on the axn and finally bought it now I just waiting for weather to help me get her in the air.. Ohhh I have a dx6i tx I know about dual rates but could use some help on setting up elevator to throttle mix for hand launch..

Thanks all for great posts and helping me put this plane together.
Greg
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:47 AM
An Aussie in Dubai
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jan 2009
266 Posts
Quote:
That makes sense.....

DLC
I use this one..
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Gyro-ESKY...#ht_2202wt_923
Works well but only 1 axis.

The new HK 3 axis is cheaper.
pghern is offline Find More Posts by pghern
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:01 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
Hello all,
New axn owner here and is almost ready to go, just need to hot glue servos on wings and I should be ready to maiden...well it about 12 degrees here tonight and been windy this past week but I can't wait....To let you all know what I have in my stash before buying this... Firebird Stratos....ummm supposed to be a great trainer..except the control rod slips..After a couple crashes put thisaway because I thought it was me...bought a super mini cub....same deal.. Rudder linkage came off after 1st flight and flew into the woods.(I did retrieve it)next I decided to start buying used off classifieds on this site. Bought a micro t-28 and loved it..then bought Champ and loved it even more...then bought another Champ because I like the plane so much..But, when I bought my first plane(Statos) I have had my eye on the axn and finally bought it now I just waiting for weather to help me get her in the air.. Ohhh I have a dx6i tx I know about dual rates but could use some help on setting up elevator to throttle mix for hand launch..

Thanks all for great posts and helping me put this plane together.
Greg
On my Tx9 using er9x frmware, I just assigned one of the switches for take off, 10% up elevator. The Tx beeps at me to remind me that the switch is active. Once the plane is airborne I just flip the switch off.
Other option just do x number of up trims, once flying do -x of down trim.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:13 AM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,045 Posts
thanks all. My tx is somewhat different then yours will figure it out. Tommorow not looking anybetter than today...maybe by this weekend I can try to get a maiden.
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:42 AM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Quote:
I can sell you a HK unit, V1 that cannot be turned off and just connect the pitch. I have a few of them.
Hendrnk:

What part of the world you live in?

How much you want for the V1?

How will it affect flying if pitch control can not be turned off?