HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:06 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
The most annoying part about what happened wasn't the crash, but the fact that it will take weeks or a month for the frsky module to arrive (swiss post ems). I won't be flying for a long time, unless I can figure out a solution in the mean time.
Did you get the FrSky with telemetry. Even if you do not buy all the telemetry stuff it still beeps before going out of range.

I also just bought the cheaper FLD-02 which give you the signal strength in a bar graph/line and the receiver voltage.

I just though it wise to get telemetry seeing I am flying FPV but if not doing that I guess you should never get out of range.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 30, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:12 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,240 Posts
Quote:
The most annoying part about what happened wasn't the crash, but the fact that it will take weeks or a month for the frsky module to arrive (swiss post ems). I won't be flying for a long time, unless I can figure out a solution in the mean time.
Apparently these guys in the states are very good with their FrSky stuff:

http://www.alofthobbies.com/
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:23 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Apparently these guys in the states are very good with their FrSky stuff:

http://www.alofthobbies.com/
They are great! I get my Frsky receivers from them, fast service and honest shipping charges.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:34 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
Did you get the FrSky with telemetry. Even if you do not buy all the telemetry stuff it still beeps before going out of range.

I also just bought the cheaper FLD-02 which give you the signal strength in a bar graph/line and the receiver voltage.

I just though it wise to get telemetry seeing I am flying FPV but if not doing that I guess you should never get out of range.
I ordered one of the smaller telemetry receivers, and two larger non-telemetry ones.
gooby is online now Find More Posts by gooby
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:14 AM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
I'm thinking about having an AXN only fleet, no need for any other models (ok maybe keep the champ). The only problem is that I don't know how to ship huge planes without it costing a fortune.

error: 404 posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 05:32 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,190 Posts
Quote:
I ordered one of the smaller telemetry receivers, and two larger non-telemetry ones.
Seems like you bought a telemetry module so I guess the telemetry and non-telemetry receivers are compatible with the module?
Old Jan 01, 2013, 04:25 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Seems like you bought a telemetry module so I guess the telemetry and non-telemetry receivers are compatible with the module?
the djt have dip switch on the modules to enable or disable telemetry
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:41 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
the djt have dip switch on the modules to enable or disable telemetry
Thanks - handy to know.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 09:26 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
Just finished fitting lights to my AXN test flight in day time then first night flight hopefully tomorrow night.
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE
Old Jan 01, 2013, 11:21 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ACE View Post
Just finished fitting lights to my AXN test flight in day time then first night flight hopefully tomorrow night.
What sort of lights did you use...
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:23 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
Could the receiver lock out and crash have been caused by an iphone close to the transmitter? It's the 4g verizon one if that makes a difference.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:23 PM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Thanks - handy to know.
also try investing on cppm rx you never know you might need them in future
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:27 PM
United States, MO, KCMO
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
New Years greetings to everyone.

I am trying to start 2013 properly. I am a new RCGroups member, (first post on this forum), getting back into RC modeling after many years absence, and I have a brand new ANX that I have just started the assembly process today. However, I don't even have the wings installed and I have a couple of issues.

I have read the first 150 pages of this thread waiting for my ANX to arrive and I had ordered some ESCs and Servos in anticipation of having to replace the ones that come with the plane. The first thing I did after mounting the tail surfaces was replace the stock ESC with 25A / 5A bec Dynam Detrum ESC (ordered from Hobby Partz), using bullet connectors instead of soldering the motor/ESC wire together. I also balanced and mounted the prop using a 3mm collet.

I also replaced the rudder and elevator servos with Dynam 9g servos using double sided foam tape (the white stuff). (The HXT900s were back ordered at HK)

After making those changes, I am wishing I had left things alone until I actually flew the ANX.
I tested the new ESC by running the motor at WOT for just a few minutes. (less than 5). To my surprise, both the motor and the ESC were hot. I could hold them, but hot enough to be uncomfortable. I then switched to a 30A ESC with the same results. I am new to soldering, but have watched the videos on YouTube and think I know what to do. I tinned the wire ends using a soldering iron. I used a pencil torch to heat the connectors enough to melt solder into the ends. Could this heat buildup be caused by bad soldering? If not, what?

Second problem. The new servos move because of the thickness of the foam tape. Anyone have a suggestion on another double sided product to use? Or does it matter that they move if the control surfaces move almost as good as before the servos were replaced?

One last problem... I have a FlySky FS-CT6B radio. During the first few motor/ESC test, I was getting RPM increases during the entire throttle stick movement. On the last couple of test, the RPMs increased only to the 50% - 60% stick movement. Any Ideas on what happened to cause that to happen.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
delcie70 is offline Find More Posts by delcie70
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:39 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcie70 View Post
New Years greetings to everyone.

I am trying to start 2013 properly. I am a new RCGroups member, (first post on this forum), getting back into RC modeling after many years absence, and I have a brand new ANX that I have just started the assembly process today. However, I don't even have the wings installed and I have a couple of issues.

I have read the first 150 pages of this thread waiting for my ANX to arrive and I had ordered some ESCs and Servos in anticipation of having to replace the ones that come with the plane. The first thing I did after mounting the tail surfaces was replace the stock ESC with 25A / 5A bec Dynam Detrum ESC (ordered from Hobby Partz), using bullet connectors instead of soldering the motor/ESC wire together. I also balanced and mounted the prop using a 3mm collet.

I also replaced the rudder and elevator servos with Dynam 9g servos using double sided foam tape (the white stuff). (The HXT900s were back ordered at HK)

After making those changes, I am wishing I had left things alone until I actually flew the ANX.
I tested the new ESC by running the motor at WOT for just a few minutes. (less than 5). To my surprise, both the motor and the ESC were hot. I could hold them, but hot enough to be uncomfortable. I then switched to a 30A ESC with the same results. I am new to soldering, but have watched the videos on YouTube and think I know what to do. I tinned the wire ends using a soldering iron. I used a pencil torch to heat the connectors enough to melt solder into the ends. Could this heat buildup be caused by bad soldering? If not, what?

Second problem. The new servos move because of the thickness of the foam tape. Anyone have a suggestion on another double sided product to use? Or does it matter that they move if the control surfaces move almost as good as before the servos were replaced?

One last problem... I have a FlySky FS-CT6B radio. During the first few motor/ESC test, I was getting RPM increases during the entire throttle stick movement. On the last couple of test, the RPMs increased only to the 50% - 60% stick movement. Any Ideas on what happened to cause that to happen.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
This is a good summary of the AXN setup.

http://beta.ivc.no/wiki/index.php/AXN_Clouds_Fly

I would glue the wing servo's in with Welders Glue or some thing similar.
Soldering shouldn't cause the motor to get hot, when there is little airflow on the bench things will get hot especially with 5min of WOT. 30amp ESC should be more than enough for the stock motor / propeller.

What type of battery are you using, if your running low on voltage it can cause lack of power / rpm through the throttle range.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Jan 01, 2013, 07:47 PM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Apr 2010
552 Posts
I used the 7 LED disc lights from Hobby king
J-ACE is offline Find More Posts by J-ACE