HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:04 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
Get a 3mm collet .... this plane doesn't need a prop saver and you will notice the difference immediately!!
I'm going to try the stock prop saver with the ring glued in this time, but I will probably go with a collet soon.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
I'm going to try the stock prop saver with the ring glued in this time, but I will probably go with a collet soon.
Hey...

I'm in Jacksonville, too.
Wanna go fly sometime?
js32257 is offline Find More Posts by js32257
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:01 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
Thanks for the great advice on glues mutha. Regarding servo's, yes I might have been a tad negative about the stock servos. I've flown with the stock ones without any major problems but also I have read of others who have lost planes due to the stock ones seizing. I would just hate to hear jardar or anyone else lose their plane when, for just a few bucks, they could make it a lot safer even if they only changed the aileron and elevator servos.

Regarding the Bixler, A couple of months ago I was flying at my local r/c club field and had my AXN screaming around like a Dervish, pulling all sorts of manouvres and heard two blokes standing next to me virtually holding their collective breaths. I was puzzled by their trepidation and so asked what they were worried about.

They told me they flew Bixlers and said that if they'd flown their planes like I flew my AXN, they knew theirs would never be able to take the strain.

I've never yet had a moments worry about strength or construction when flying my AXN.
Out of the box the AXN is a great plane and really doesn't need much work - like you said the servos are susceptible to failure as are the motor magnets; the length given for the aileron actuating wire is a little short but the foam is bullet proof and the main wing spar is excellent compared to the Bixler.

The bixler definitely flies better or at least glides better, it isn't as likely to tip stall at slower speed as the AXN is but if you put a different main spar in the bixler and and beef it up where it needs it then it is a good flier ... the bixler 1 ... don't know anything about the 2...

Like any cheap foam plane the AXN requires maintenance and you need to look after and check airworthiness of any plane you fly BEFORE each session. The HXT900 servos are a worthwhile investment for the AXN as is a Collet and an upgrade for the ESC. Also gluing your magnets before they decide to part with their position is a good thing. If you don't need to remove the wing for transport then taping or gluing it is also good.

Early in this thread you will find all this information from people who helped me - I am about to build my 5th AXN ... I like em!!
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:26 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by js32257 View Post
Hey...

I'm in Jacksonville, too.
Wanna go fly sometime?
I would like to, but I live over 250 miles from Jacksonville.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:55 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,258 Posts
Yeah.. i also can say the same on the HawkSky... i have one wich i bought used to convert it into a HawkFighter ... i flew it a bit in stock form and i can say the flexing i saw was something i have never seen before or after that.. and at not hard maneouvers.. like a normal loop or pulling medium strenght from a dive.. the Clouds flexes but not even near that..
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:21 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
I love how fast the AXN is compared to the Bixler 2. It's much more suited to my flying style. I did a full throttle shallow dive and then full up elevator which would have definitely ripped off the wings off of most other planes of this style. This time flying I had no more problems with the prop vibrating so I think I will use the stock setup for awhile longer.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:14 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,798 Posts
Quote:
I love how fast the AXN is compared to the Bixler 2. It's much more suited to my flying style. I did a full throttle shallow dive and then full up elevator which would have definitely ripped off the wings off of most other planes of this style. This time flying I had no more problems with the prop vibrating so I think I will use the stock setup for awhile longer.
The main thing is your having fun and that is what it is all about!
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:47 AM
Joined Oct 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
The AXN is too fast for me. I'm a noob and I'm learning to fly on this model and it flys too fast and has very sharp reactions.
I'm considering getting a Bixler2 to practice on, before returning to the AXN.
cropcircle is offline Find More Posts by cropcircle
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:07 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cropcircle View Post
The AXN is too fast for me. I'm a noob and I'm learning to fly on this model and it flys too fast and has very sharp reactions.

The AXN can fly around at 1/3rd throttle, if it reacts to quickly you can just reduce the throws on the controls or turn off your ailerons and mix the rudder over to the right side of the Tx (assuming mode 2) and use the rudder for turning.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:54 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,059 Posts
Quote:
Have you seen a Bixler fly or going by comments here?

I agree with hendrnk. I see no need to change to a Bixler to learn on. The blokes I fly with have FPV Bixlers faster than my AXN. Just depends what motor you put on.

There is nothing wrong with this one to learn on. If you have someone that can fly get them to take it off and take over when up high.

Have you gotten a simulator to practice on even the cheap hobbyking.com one?

Just found this video. Check out the text just under the video.
By request: Can the AXN Floater RC plane fly slowly? (2 min 30 sec)

Or you can fly like hot rodders with the Bixlers. This is even with the HEAVY FPV gear.

Bixler Follow (3 min 20 sec)
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 29, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:04 AM
Joined Oct 2012
90 Posts
I've flown in a simulator a lot. I even managed to fly the AXN for a while. But even my instructor says the AXN is too hard to learn on. I've set up an EXP of 50% on elevator because it reacts too swiftly to any minor changes.
When I fly at 1/3 throttle the plane gets nose heavy and if theres a slight wind, It's hard to control.
I changed the prop to 6x4 and still its too fast and crisp.
After seeing my friend's Bixler1 fly I decided I want one. It's slow, manageable, and you have full range of throttle to select. Not just up to 1/3. After mastering the Bixler, instead of upgrading it's motor to go faster, I'll return to the AXN.
cropcircle is offline Find More Posts by cropcircle
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:21 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,350 Posts
I agree with your instructor. A high wing trainer is definitely easiest of all.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:34 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,258 Posts
That video renembers me this one i did time ago demostrating low and close flying capabilities of the Clouds.

CloudsFly volando lento y cerca (1 min 45 sec)

trust me... here it even looks faster than it goes in reality
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:44 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
That video renembers me this one i did time ago demostrating low and close flying capabilities of the Clouds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADLncP2PRCE

trust me... here it even looks faster than it goes in reality
Nice flying.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:35 PM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,059 Posts
Quote:
I've flown in a simulator a lot. I even managed to fly the AXN for a while. But even my instructor says the AXN is too hard to learn on. I've set up an EXP of 50% on elevator because it reacts too swiftly to any minor changes.
When I fly at 1/3 throttle the plane gets nose heavy and if theres a slight wind, It's hard to control.
I changed the prop to 6x4 and still its too fast and crisp.
After seeing my friend's Bixler1 fly I decided I want one. It's slow, manageable, and you have full range of throttle to select. Not just up to 1/3. After mastering the Bixler, instead of upgrading it's motor to go faster, I'll return to the AXN.
Everyone needs a lot of planes so might as well get a Bixler which are cheap and fly good, even for FPV if you want to do it later. Not that you can not do it on a AXN. I'll put my FPV gear back into my AXN now it is flying great. I cheat with a FY20 stabiliser which I leave on for take offs, flying and landings. Wish I was just starting out now with all the good gear available and very cheap compared to the old days.

You say "I've set up an EXP of 50% on elevator because it reacts too swiftly to any minor changes."

There is something wrong with your setup of the plane or TX if the elevator reacts too swiftly. My EXP is set at 75% and the elevator is smooth. C of G can effect this but your instructor should have checked the C of G. When learning the usual thing is to have the C of G further forward of the recommended. See what others here say about the elevator.

My low Double Rate for the elevator is 95%. Perhaps you could go lower than that on the elevator. Also is your throttle range set right. I have not paid much attention to setting this over the years but if learning it probably needs to be set right. Maybe yours is set right.

You say "When I fly at 1/3 throttle the plane gets nose heavy and if theres a slight wind, It's hard to control. " That sounds like c of g too far back. As mentioned get the c of g further forward than the instructions or you are just not getting the nose down enough to keep up air speed for the throttle setting. This is extremely common with someone learning.

This bloke does a good comparison and he says in conclusion "Both are great beginner planes" but the Bixler is slightly better.
Another comment by someone "Blonds or Brunettes is the answer. It all comes down to personal preference".
Bixler vs AXN (3 min 41 sec)
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Dec 30, 2012 at 01:57 AM.