HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:18 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,062 Posts
UPS is doing some strange things with my AXN shipment. The truck left Jacksonville only to return again a few hours later, and leave again.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:16 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
One of theese days i have to fuind out whats the equivalent to gorilla glue in spain....
There are a couple of gorilla glues that the company put out ... the one which needs water (actually just moisture) to cure is a poly urethane glue. So you go to your hardware store and ask for a poly urethane wood glue ... it is used a lot in building. It should be fairly easy to get. The trouble is often you only can get a large bottle which you won't use before it goes off (about a year for some)... so the trick is to decant it into smaller bottles and share it with your friends . Gorilla itself, as a brand glue, comes in smaller bottles. But in Australia Selleys sell a large bottle of Aquadhere brand glue that is a PU glue.(sort fo a black /brown bottle) PU Glue is usually a darkish brown colour and hardens as a light blond brown with a lot of foaming up if you don't contain it. (Don't use too much!)

As for gluing an AXN / CF fuselage - any sort of tape that will stick to it including masking tape will hold it still enough to apply a gorilla glue or PU of some other brand. I have even run a strip of tape along the length of the fuse with tension to hold the nose in place ... it is all you need. But it will seep out either side of where you glue it so think about where the other side is in your break and try to ensure you don't foul up some other internal parts. Just a thin coat with a cheap artists brush that you can dispose of after will be fine and you can use a spray bottle of water ... just one quick spray is sufficient. Tape over the crack/break - hold it together with some more tape ... go away for a couple of hours and ... FIXED
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Dec 27, 2012, 04:42 AM
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
Picky bunch arnt we, i detect a little Christmas cabin fever setting in for some.

When i can hold a dslr with suitable zoom lens and fly at the same time, i might bother to take a video, until then, feel free to take my statement as you see fit. I'll just go out and fly now...
I'm with you Moe. It's what winter snow does to you!
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:12 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Aileron servo neutral position is off

Hello, I am new to flying and received the clouds epo 127 for xmas. When I have the setup finished, everything is working fine exept the servo of the left wing starts way down so that when I fly it rolls automatically and is dificult too control. The servo responds to the remote but its neutral position is way off. Any ideas as how to fix this is much appreciated!
jardar is offline Find More Posts by jardar
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:01 AM
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
jardar- I can't quite understand what you're saying the problem is but what I will say is, be very careful of using the stock servos. For just a few bucks you can get HXT900 servo's (from Hobbyking or even on Ebay) which are amazing reliable servos for the price. Just trust me when I say it's not worth risking your beautiful present for the sake of hoping the stock servos do their job (because, as I'm sure a lot of people will agree), they almost certainly will let you down eventually.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:14 AM
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
News Update - I flew my AXN with the slightly elongated ailerons today. There seemed to be maybe a 10% increase in roll rate although to be absolutely honest I can't say if they made a massive improvement. However they certainly didn't badly effect the performance.

I also took this opportunity to see just how high I could go vertically (this was a different AXN to what I used a couple of days ago) and once again, it just kept going higher and higher. At one point not quite vertical but that was because I was straining my neck and eased off the elevator for a second.

Eventually, it got so small (and was rapidly approaching a dark cloud) that I just had to chicken out. I've no idea how high that actually was (as without the right equipment, none of us can do any better than simply guess a plane's height) but it most certainly was damn high!

What DID improve my stock motors was when I lubricated the bearings (and even the area around the magnets -!) with sewing machine oil. Prior to doing this, I found the motors actually felt and sounded 'dry' but once lubricated in this way, it definately showed a marked improvement in the motor's performance. It cost about $3 or so for a smallish bottle -30ml or so and came with a fine tube that made getting it into awkward places easy. Probably the cheapest, most effective improvement I've made on the AXN so far.

By the way, I've never used Gorilla Glue myself but have used Selley's Aquadhere when I built a boat with it. I found it to be excellent stuff (but a bugger if you get it on your hands if you then tried to wash it off with water- I found meths would help if I was quick enough).

Mutha - Are you saying it will fix most model aircraft foams? (I wrecked my Focke Wolf 190 today)
Last edited by Beanz; Dec 27, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
By the way, I've never used Gorilla Glue myself but have used Selley's Aquadhere when I built a boat with it. I found it to be excellent stuff (but a bugger if you get it on your hands if you then tried to wash it off with water- I found meths would help if I was quick enough).

Mutha - Are you saying it will fix most model aircraft foams? (I wrecked my Focke Wolf 190 today)
Yes but it is not always the best glue for the application. CA or Foam Safe CA are good for quick repairs ( depends on the type of foam ) because you can use kicker and it is almost instant - epoxy is good for surfaces that are flat and gives you working time (I use a pin to make little holes in the surfaces give the glue more area and helps help epoxy stick to foam) PU is great on foam where little bits have gone to God. It fills up the spaces. I have repaired divots out of AXN leading edges by putting in some PU a squirt of water and taping to the shape of the edge. The glue expands to the tape and dries in the shape of you wing!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jardar View Post
Hello, I am new to flying and received the clouds epo 127 for xmas. When I have the setup finished, everything is working fine exept the servo of the left wing starts way down so that when I fly it rolls automatically and is dificult too control. The servo responds to the remote but its neutral position is way off. Any ideas as how to fix this is much appreciated!
Sounds like your servo arms are not centered to the servo. Before you attach a surface to your servo make sure the servo is centered and the servo arm is where you want it for center then centre the surface ( in your case aileron) THEN tighten your connector rods ... You must have mechanical trim prior to flight trim.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:48 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
There are a couple of gorilla glues that the company put out ... the one which needs water (actually just moisture) to cure is a poly urethane glue.

Yeah ,thanks.. i googled and found that the Gorilla glue is poliurethane glue and found an equivalent here in a usable format.. thanks!
JLT_GTI is online now Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Nov 2004
593 Posts
more about servos, this may be basic but it was his first post...

i've also flown stock servos for 2 years with no issues. ymmv.

to trim, power on the radio and plane (with prop removed), zero trims, disconnect the aileron clevises and rotate until both ailerons are flush to bottom of wing with clevises on the outermost hole.

Might even need to make sure the servo arm is 90 (or actually a bit forward for differential) by removing the screw and arm, and adjusting it to the closest spline.

Also, didn't these things used to come with pushrods the wrong length? that needed either new Z-bends or something?
RedLine19k is offline Find More Posts by RedLine19k
Last edited by RedLine19k; Dec 27, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:05 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,062 Posts
I finished my AXN Xjet! Now it's time for the maiden, I hope it goes well.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:54 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,062 Posts
Back from the first flight, didn't crash.

The roll rate seems slow and I think I need to use more rudder. The only real problem was that the little plastic ring you put in the prop fell out within seconds (forgot to glue it). I couldn't use more than half throttle, so tomorrow should be much more fun.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:44 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,062 Posts
One major thing I noticed is that the wings are MUCH stronger and solid than the Bixler 2. With the Bixler, the spar was so weak even the stock motor made the wings flutter.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
Back from the first flight, didn't crash.

The roll rate seems slow and I think I need to use more rudder. The only real problem was that the little plastic ring you put in the prop fell out within seconds (forgot to glue it). I couldn't use more than half throttle, so tomorrow should be much more fun.
Get a 3mm collet .... this plane doesn't need a prop saver and you will notice the difference immediately!!
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
Thanks for the great advice on glues mutha. Regarding servo's, yes I might have been a tad negative about the stock servos. I've flown with the stock ones without any major problems but also I have read of others who have lost planes due to the stock ones seizing. I would just hate to hear jardar or anyone else lose their plane when, for just a few bucks, they could make it a lot safer even if they only changed the aileron and elevator servos.

Regarding the Bixler, A couple of months ago I was flying at my local r/c club field and had my AXN screaming around like a Dervish, pulling all sorts of manouvres and heard two blokes standing next to me virtually holding their collective breaths. I was puzzled by their trepidation and so asked what they were worried about.

They told me they flew Bixlers and said that if they'd flown their planes like I flew my AXN, they knew theirs would never be able to take the strain.

I've never yet had a moments worry about strength or construction when flying my AXN.