HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:09 AM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
My stock motor pulls about 28 amps (maybe a bit more when I use the 25C battery) at full throttle using that JU-87G-1 Stuka 3 blade prop (it's actually about 6.25" diameter, not sure on pitch). I haven't seen flames yet, but I probably only do that for no more than 20 or 30 seconds climbing straight up. The ESC that came with mine is rated to 25 amps.
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:22 PM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
So whats the difference between 6x4 and 6x4E prop? What does the E stand for ?
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:57 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
So whats the difference between 6x4 and 6x4E prop? What does the E stand for ?
E= Electric i.e. not strong enough to be used on a gasser.

BTW

Merry Christmas from down under.
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:43 PM
Radian +2.4Ghz FPV = way to go
Canada, BC, Richmond
Joined Dec 2012
357 Posts
I need to get one of these awsem planes
redodedo is offline Find More Posts by redodedo
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:50 PM
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2pilot View Post
My stock motor pulls about 28 amps (maybe a bit more when I use the 25C battery) at full throttle using that JU-87G-1 Stuka 3 blade prop (it's actually about 6.25" diameter, not sure on pitch). I haven't seen flames yet, but I probably only do that for no more than 20 or 30 seconds climbing straight up. The ESC that came with mine is rated to 25 amps.
It's just a matter of time before you will pulling amps like that.
The motor on mine eventually smoked itself and then I installed a better motor (230 watts with a 6 x 4) and the real fun began!
The beauty is now is that I can leave it at WOT ALL the time, not for limited periods as you are doing. It certainly outperforms the stock motor.
BUT... it does come at a price. Flight time with a 3S 2200 pack has dropped considerably. After all, there is no such thing as a free lunch.
No big deal though...I just had to go and buy a couple more packs.
Crashem Dave is offline Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Old Dec 25, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
Yes you are really confused, because the stock motor of the AXN can NOT go unlimited vertical. Its also not very fast. If you say it does go unlimited vertical , please make a video.
This is not me...

6x5 prop.
It may not be true vertical but it's got to be close.
Jump to 1:20 in the video.

How to improve your AXN Floater RC Plane for $1 (2 min 59 sec)
js32257 is offline Find More Posts by js32257
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:22 PM
Joined Sep 2012
162 Posts
That's some impressive acceleration. Shame about the amateur video work but as it says. 'do you get the idea?'.

It's interesting that apparently this results in a slightly lower maximum speed (if I understand it correctly) which puzzles me (although confusing me isn't that hard nowadays).
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Sep 2012
162 Posts
Hopefully you can see how I've slightly lengthened my ailerons. I want to improve the roll rate so, as you should be able to see with this photo, I just cut out some of the foam, shaved an angle off to match the existing aileron (to enable the additional parts to move up and down without binding) and glued them to the existing ailerons. I carefully applied clear parcel tape to both sides of the wing (to act as a hinge), making sure the tape went into the hinge area.

I haven't flown it like this yet but hope to do so tomorrow.

The plan is also to cut the wing tips off (as I have with another of my AXN's) and also use the 3 bladed prop I have on order.
Last edited by Beanz; Dec 25, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 09:32 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
501 Posts
clipped wings

Hi guys. Ive clipped the wing on my AXN
Should I also clip the tail : the horizontal stabiliser ??

I was also going to put balsa alerons on.
Should I make the alerion longer? wider?
Cheers
1101 is online now Find More Posts by 1101
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:20 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
AXN unlimited vertical

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_f_real View Post
OK, so yours doesn't and mine does. Maybe your AXN has motor, power or other issues.

Requires a lot of attention due to a tendancy to axial roll and veer off course. But for a few seconds it goes straight up before I cut the throttle to avoid loosing sight of it.

The only device I have that records video is an iPhone 3GS. Doubt it would show anything other than blue sky.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoe View Post
Two of mine and my brothers one go straight up until we wimp out / can't see them, so level off. That's with 6 x 4e
Unlimited vertical with a stock motor and ANY prop is utter and complete nonsense. If it ain't on video, it didn't happen. Please prove it.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:26 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashem Dave View Post
Both of you must have models with motors that are perform way above design.
I have yet to see a Clouds Fly, with the stock motor, go vertical until it is out of sight.
For an $8.00, 180 Watt Bell motor, which can handle up to 20 amps, that is exceptional.
"If it ain't on video, it didn't happen"
AJ
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:33 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by js32257 View Post
This is not me...

6x5 prop.
It may not be true vertical but it's got to be close.
Jump to 1:20 in the video.
The video does not document the stock motor either or the LiPo that was used. Even with all that, it certainly was limited vertical. I very much doubt it uses a stock motor.
AJ
Old Dec 26, 2012, 01:00 AM
Floater
Australia, NSW
Joined Dec 2011
29 Posts
Picky bunch arnt we, i detect a little Christmas cabin fever setting in for some.

When i can hold a dslr with suitable zoom lens and fly at the same time, i might bother to take a video, until then, feel free to take my statement as you see fit. I'll just go out and fly now...
bigmoe is offline Find More Posts by bigmoe
Old Dec 26, 2012, 03:13 AM
Joined Sep 2012
162 Posts
1101 As far as I can say, DON'T touch the tail surfaces. There's no need to do so (and no advantage either). I clipped the wings on one of my (3) AXN's and it just came alive!

Be ready for what at first, seems 'twitchy' behaviour. You might want to think about using less throw on the ailerons until you get used to how it flies now.

I've also asked in the past about whether to make the ailerons longer (as I've just done) or 'deeper' but didn't receive any concrete advice either way. For now, I suggest doing one thing at a time. Get used to the improved performance of the clipped AXN and if you still want a faster roll rate, go ahead and try.

As soon as I get to fly mine with the longer ailerons I'll post my thoughts on whether it made much difference. I'll also chop the wing tips on this AXN too.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:14 AM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
The video does not document the stock motor either or the LiPo that was used. Even with all that, it certainly was limited vertical. I very much doubt it uses a stock motor.
AJ
It's the stock motor. If you watch his AXN setup video he talks about how the stock motor is a good balance between power and efficiency. The lipo is a 20c 2200mah 3s Zippy.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby