HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:26 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
So you did manage to use that gyro? Because a while ago you said you never had a digital servo for the gyro to test out.
I just got 2 digital servos recently and I used those. I saw the seemingly obvious conflict also. So, to clear that up, the invoice is attached. Nice try, though. I only tell truth.
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:38 AM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Rudder mixed with ailerons helps roll, and also helps launch. The ailerons are not very effective at low speed, and rudder is.
Thanks to your info from before, I am anxious to try and fly the AXN with a digital servo. The centering is fantastic (compared to an analog). As you know, until a few weeks ago, I did not even own a digital servo (IIRC). I will try it with both a gyro and without a gyro (the orange one). And, I want to use the GA-250 gryo, too. I don't like the sloppiness of the GA-250 and the digital servos. The centering seems just too unstable for me. Maybe in the air, it will be better. But, on the test bench, the ORANGE gyro seems to be quite happy with my analog servos. It is starting to look like I might be well advised to follow your suggestions and just put a digital servo on the elevator (only) due to power considerations. Any thoughts? TIA.
AJ
P.S. I have lots and lots of experience with the EK2-0704 and they work excellent for me. However, all the stuff listed above is new to me and a great opportunity to learn something else.
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Last edited by ajbaker; Dec 01, 2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:13 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
I think I realized why I had a connection lose. I think I forgot to turn off the TX while switching out lipos. Guess I will have to test it out today!
kennyhoc3 is offline Find More Posts by kennyhoc3
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:52 PM
NEW to RC hobby
United States, IL, Evanston
Joined Nov 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyhoc3 View Post
I think I realized why I had a connection lose. I think I forgot to turn off the TX while switching out lipos. Guess I will have to test it out today!
Hey ken, how was the flight ? didn't know you were from idaho...my wife is from boise.
Zodi_Rc is offline Find More Posts by Zodi_Rc
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:00 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi_Rc View Post
Hey ken, how was the flight ? didn't know you were from idaho...my wife is from boise.
That's awesome haha Boise is a nice place
Flight went pretty bad. Could have been worse but, I was flying around great untill I got about 500ft up maybe then the motor started spazing so I was like ohhhh not again and nosed it over to get it close to me, as its diving down the motor kicks on and stick about 40% the plane levels out. So its about 300ft up and just flying off into the sunset, magically I regain control flip the throttle hold and bring her down as fast as possible! So I have my brother do a range check with me, at about 500-600ft the motor would glitch and I would have intermittent control. So I figured it works fine within 500ft so I'll just fly low and slow.....Nope, It lawn darted twice losing control. My Tx lifepo was saying it was at 9.7v but when I got home and was playing with it later it rapidly declined to 6.4v. I am thinking this lifepo is bad or there is a Short somewhere in the Tx. I bought it used with all the mods done on it already so who knows. I cant seem to get any of the other Rx's to work with my Tx that come with it.

So now I have 2 planes that I have gotten in the past week that I cannot fly due to random issues. I am starting to wonder why I ever got back into RC. My 3rd and reliable Micro P-51 is the only thing I have for now. My luck does not allow me to enjoy RC often lol
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:16 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
I do have to say these axn's are very durable though! 3 nose dives and its only slight cracked down the seam of the fuse and minor bending!

This time though when I lost control my RX's were not blinking.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:06 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,283 Posts
My plane is practically doomed...

i had managed to save it as you might renember and program the radio to compensates the vices it had developing following its big crash.. but every flight new issues show up

Yesterday the plane was wanting to nose up constantly.. i had to give it almost full down trim to make it fly normal..
But that wasnt the biggest problem of yesterday.. in first launch over the slope (no wind at all) it began diving and rolling left and somehow aileron autority dissapeared as it was rolling into the slope.. i only had elevator and motor to fly (and rudder as i managed to renember 2 seconds later) it back to safety .. this is what happent :

CloudsFly bigest save ever... of all time (0 min 27 sec)

No, i dont have a clue how i managed to pull that ... ailerons were totally unresponding and until i reacted to use the rudder for the final right turn into landing i only had elevator and motor to keep it out of crashing into the slope..

really good luck as had it crashed im sure i would had lost the wide angle lens of the camera as its fixed only by a magnet

Nwo back to plane issues.. yesterday carrying the camera and a 2200 nanotech batt (20g lighter but the camera and lens are like 30g) it needed almost full down trim to fly well.. releasing stick with no power made it nose up and enter a fugoid cycle.. then i landed (again) and moved all way forward the lipo ... same results.. lots of down trim to fly it normal.. landed again and switched lipo for a normal 2200 (25g heavier) all the way forward.. still had to use a lot of down trim.. and i look at the elevator and its a bit slught down.. not straight..

The other pilot kept saying it was tail heavy and that i had to add front weight ..but im sure it was allready nose heavy ..its like the tail now had up incidence ..but i see it aligned same as ever..

This coupled to the big issue of it rolling right under power for no aparent reason and the changing flying characteristics every damn day its making it no fun anymore..
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:28 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems, but on the other hand, this video is COOL!
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:47 AM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT_GTI View Post
My plane is practically doomed...

This coupled to the big issue of it rolling right under power for no aparent reason and the changing flying characteristics every damn day its making it no fun anymore..
Sorry to hear you are having issues too! I understand it not being fun when there are so many issues and you can't catch a break and just be able to FLY. Hopefully you will be able to sort out the problems! Nice save on your video! That was awesome!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:43 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,104 Posts
i have rolling left with no power issues, fixed by putting almost 10g on the right wing tips seem i have a non balance wing my left side seem to be heavier so when no power plane tend to roll left by it self and can't be trimmed perfectly

i added 3 bolt to compensate the unbalance wing because i dont have lead, bolt work fine but it a dead weight maybe i should shave off some foam instead
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:44 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
Skellator, perhaps your wing is warped. Also, the rudder has a huge effect on roll with those upturned wing tips. Are you sure you don't just have a yaw issue? Try trimming with rudder. Adding weight to a wing seems like an odd solution.
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:50 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
i have rolling left with no power issues, fixed by putting almost 10g on the right wing tips seem i have a non balance wing my left side seem to be heavier so when no power plane tend to roll left by it self and can't be trimmed perfectly

i added 3 bolt to compensate the unbalance wing because i dont have lead, bolt work fine but it a dead weight maybe i should shave off some foam instead
My 2 AXNs both had lateral imbalance issues. I embedded a small lead weight on the light wing to balance the airplane. The AXN has a tendancy to roll when power is applied. The cause is motor torque and the rotating prop wash hitting the rudder more on one side than the other.

I take the airplane up on a calm day and trim for straight and wings level flight with the power off. Then I apply power to determine which way it rolls (usually to the right). Then I mix a small amount of opposite Rudder into the Throttle to counter the roll.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:17 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Mine never had an issue of rolling under power but maybe your wing spar is off center? BGR's suggestion of rudder trimming is good too as you can see by JLT_GTI's video the axn's rudder steers the plane quite a bit.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:20 PM
USA, ID, Boise
Joined Nov 2010
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
have you got differential? either mechanical or programmed??? (pref both!!)
Oh and differential has helped my slow rolling issue. At 30% it rolls about normal now I am gonna bump it up to 40-50% when I get out today if my RX doesn't cut out on me lol
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:05 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
For you guys having some control glitches, you might check and make sure your battery and ESC power wires are kept away from the Rx and the antenna. I have seen that cause glitches under high load.
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot