HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:48 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
The trick in Mode 2 is to throw the plane up hard and as high as you can before she starts swooping down, quickly get some elevator on her. Works like a charm for me.
I'm mode 2 too, I launch with my left hand so my right thumb is always on my elevator stick, now with fpv gear I use switch as keep nose diving it to the ground as it getting really heavy
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:00 PM
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
Speaking of launch techniques, I launched a different plane into the ground a couple of months ago. I had a friend videoing at the time.

When I picked up the slightly bent plane, I immediately started poking around, trying to find the reason it had zoomed hard into the ground.

Then, another mate told me that I'd actually thrown it downwards on launch. I've been flying r/c planes for many years so I argued that, in fact, I had launched the plane correctly with a slight upwards angle.

However, as everyone there all said otherwise, I viewed the video and was amazed to discover that they were right and I HAD launched it downwards. I have no idea why, on this one occasion, I'd done that (without being aware of it) but the lesson here is that it's easy to get complacent when you've done something hundreds of times.

Regarding cutting the wing tips off the AXN, I have three of these fantastic planes but only one with the tips removed (just at the point where the wing angles upwards) and it's my absolute favourite.

The responsiveness is far superior to the stock plane with rolls amazingly fast. I haven't timed it but wouldn't be surprised if, at a decent speed, it does a complete roll in maybe 1/2 a second or possibly two thirds of a second. It IS however, so much easier to get into trouble with, as it's so twitchy.

Having said all that, it's just so much FUN in this guise. I can get it zipping all over the sky like a banshee and it'll change direction faster than you'd imagine. For me, it's now an adrenaline machine that really gets the heart pumping. Yet still it can float as well as it ever did.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
I meant to add, that as I have two other AXN's, I didn't bother with stuffing around adding provision for re-attaching the wing tips. I just sliced the tips off using a sharp hobby knife (and to be completely honest) I can't even say both wings are EXACTLY the same length now (I did measure before cutting but there might be a couple of mm difference).

I still have the wing tips so, if I ever want to, I could easily fashion up a way of re-attaching them. I'm guessing that I'd probably even get away with simply positioning them into the correct place (easily enough done with the stickers still in place) and put a single wrap of electrical tape around the join.

I must add that I have never treated any of my planes like they were fragile. I treat them badly in a lot of cases yet still they fly well. I'm not saying newcomers to this hobby (or plane) should follow this bad example but just bear in mind that with the AXN, they soak up a LOT of abuse.

As I've mentioned before, I even fly mine with a 200 gram digital camera taped to the fuse side (just below one wing) and have still flown to spectacular heights after the initial few seconds of terror.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:17 AM
Joined Jul 2012
74 Posts
Hi guys, thinking to upgrade my CF motor. Need recommendation pls.
Ive tried to read each page but seems too much. T_T.
mezerwi is offline Find More Posts by mezerwi
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:27 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezerwi View Post
Hi guys, thinking to upgrade my CF motor. Need recommendation pls.
Ive tried to read each page but seems too much. T_T.
If you want performance. Try this one.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00KV_696W.html

I'm getting 1.3KG of thrust with a 6X5 prop using 2200 4S battery. make sure you strengthen the wings, fuselage etc. It feels like a pylon racer. Its fast.!
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post

I'm getting 1.3KG of thrust with a 6X5 prop using 2200 4S battery. make sure you strengthen the wings, fuselage etc. It feels like a pylon racer. Its fast.!
Hope you put up a video of it!!
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Dual rates and Expo

Im wondering what the best settings are for dual rates and expo im a complete beginner, flew my Axn for the first time last wknd with 40% expo and 100% dual rates. Also should i leave all the travel adjustments on 100%.

Thanks
dunc1055 is offline Find More Posts by dunc1055
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:11 PM
Flying Zayin
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
914 Posts
Someone mentioned getting electronics wet and drying them in the sun a few pages back...
As I not only fly above sea level but also dive under sea level I have some experience with wet electronics.

1 - power off as soon as you recover your piece. it may seem too late to bother but still.
2 - wash in plenty of fresh water, really really plenty. should be running water, throwing a piece into a bucket or barrel of fresh water does no help at all. using some sort of mild detergent is good, toothbrush will be a plus (sponge is not half as good).
3 - if there is no fresh water around, keep it wet (in a plastic bag filled with water in which it sank) till you get access to fresh water on tap. of course, the battery must be removed.
4 - after washing/rinsing in water, rinse it well in high-alcoholic liquid. any strong liquor will do as long as it's without added sugar, but colourless stuff is better. gin, vodka ok, but 75% alcohol is the best. it is a very important step that shouldn't be overlooked. there are chemical/physical reasons for it, too long to get into that.
5 - talking about ordinary electronics without optical components (such as ESC or Rx), chances to return a wetted piece in ranks are pretty high. I'm currently using 1 motor, 2 ESCs and 1 Rx recovered from ocean, a few months after the accident they still work fine. not so with anything like barometric sensors, sound alarms etc.
Cathay Stray is offline Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
Old Nov 21, 2012, 11:44 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc1055 View Post
Im wondering what the best settings are for dual rates and expo im a complete beginner, flew my Axn for the first time last wknd with 40% expo and 100% dual rates. Also should i leave all the travel adjustments on 100%.

Thanks
Suggest you drop your Expo on this down to below 30% ... it would feel like swimming in jelly at 40% I would go as low as 15% and leave 100% on your throws.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:18 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc1055 View Post

Thanks
Leave the throws at 100% and dial out your dual rates and expo as you get better at flying it.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:35 AM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post

Can you please post a pic of how you mounted this motor on to an AXN ? This motor doesnt have normal motor mount, how did you fixate it ?
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:14 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboSerg View Post
Can you please post a pic of how you mounted this motor on to an AXN ? This motor doesnt have normal motor mount, how did you fixate it ?
You would make up a ply or similar plate to take the place of the plastic mount the motor comes with a metal cross mount that allows you to fix to the ply and motor...
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,961 Posts
I found out yesterday that the easiest way to launch the AXN Floater Jet is to launch at half throttle. This minimizes the plane's wanting to dive at launch.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 23, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3 Posts
spent 4 hours yesterday putting together a CF jigsaw puzzle myself too!!

flew her today and shes still going strong =D
Pret101 is offline Find More Posts by Pret101