HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
I dont seem to have a problem with diving only wants to climb, but i only had time to run one battery though today i defiantly need more time flying the axn to work out whats happening.
dunc1055 is offline Find More Posts by dunc1055
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:09 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,594 Posts
You hit the water Mike! What happened?
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:24 PM
Australia, SA, Aldinga
Joined May 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
You hit the water Mike! What happened?
Unfortunately I mis-judged how much it would float (in the sky) back towards the sand and I wasn't quick enough to put the throttle on to get it up into the air again.

The ESC was smoking a bit, so that was it. Disconnected the battery at that point.

Went straight home and hosed the whole lot down with fresh water and put it out in the sun to dry. Took the camera and receiver apart and they look good. The servos might be stuffed but i'll see how they go. So, a bit unfortunate, but i'll know for next time.

I have a new set of servos (6 x Turnigy 1800As) and an ESC on order. I'll replace the ESC and see how it all goes.

At least the foam won't be corroded by the salt water.

Mike
MichaelTDM900 is offline Find More Posts by MichaelTDM900
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:23 PM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Yes, and he lauched it for me. Maybe that's the problem. The second time he wasn't there and I launched it myself. Maybe I had too much throttle, but I remember up elevator not helping much.
So as a starting point...

I use about 40%-50% throttle and have the prop spinning when I throw
My elevator is level.
I throw it fairly hard and about 30 degrees up (horizon being 0 and straight up being 90).

Gradually ratchet up the throttle and lightly pull back on the elevator.

I've hand launched w/o help every flight with no issues.
js32257 is offline Find More Posts by js32257
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:57 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by js32257 View Post
So as a starting point...

I use about 40%-50% throttle and have the prop spinning when I throw
My elevator is level.
I throw it fairly hard and about 30 degrees up (horizon being 0 and straight up being 90).

Gradually ratchet up the throttle and lightly pull back on the elevator.

I've hand launched w/o help every flight with no issues.
I hand launch with no issues as well.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:26 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,839 Posts
Launching the AXN

I find the AXN easy to hand launch once you have the basics down pat.

1. hold it under the wings on and just forward of the CoG
2. use your BEST throwing hand!!
3. aim at a spot in the sky 30 to 35degrees above the horizon (into the wind!)
4. bring throttle to 3/4's or a tad under. (I use my lips - mode 1 right handed)
5. Throw the plane with good strength, but not so as to mess up the wings remaining level or the nose not to be aiming at your pre chosen spot - try to dart it at the spot.
6. Get on the sticks and fly it.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:19 AM
Firepower
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,094 Posts
I also find it so easy to launch. I am on Mode 1 and keep my thumb on the elevator and give it just a little up as I launch and I can adjust or drop off the up as necessary. I have never had a bad launch.

But never get the nose too far up with only a little power or a poor/slow throw. If you do you might see it coming down with a cartwheel. This is just a caution if you are going to give it a bit of up on launch.
Firepower is offline Find More Posts by Firepower
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:29 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I also find it so easy to launch. I am on Mode 1 and keep my thumb on the elevator and give it just a little up as I launch and I can adjust or drop off the up as necessary. I have never had a bad launch.

But never get the nose too far up with only a little power or a poor/slow throw. If you do you might see it coming down with a cartwheel. This is just a caution if you are going to give it a bit of up on launch.
I also mixed in some up elevator 15% on the gear switch for takeoff. The Tx beeps to remind me its set.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
hi. what kind of thickness depron would you use to extend the surface area of the controls?
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:41 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss34 View Post
hi. what kind of thickness depron would you use to extend the surface area of the controls?
I'm not sure its necessary to extend the surface areas of the controls for normal aerobatics. Mine can easily do outside, inside loops, barrel rolls.

I would stiffen the existing control surfaces with laminate covering and also add some 3mm carbon in the fin & horizontal stabilizer. 1 strip on each side slightly offset to maximize the strength.
Last edited by hendrnk; Nov 19, 2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:53 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss34 View Post
People who have extended ailerons have usually used some stiff light weight plastic.

You might want to try your ailerons on separate channels and use radio differential prior to doing anything like that though.

Rudder and elevator throws and surface area seem to be adequate.

The AXN is not a stunt plane, it is a powered, pusher glider with exceptional performance. A good quality high wing trainer (Kyosho) etc. will actually fly more accurately and perform better than the AXN for most aerobatics however they are generally 4 times as much$$$
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:50 PM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I also mixed in some up elevator 15% on the gear switch for takeoff. The Tx beeps to remind me its set.
I am used to using my thumb for the extra up elevator on take off but if the landing gear switch with mixing works for you then sounds good.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:35 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I am used to using my thumb for the extra up elevator on take off but if the landing gear switch with mixing works for you then sounds good.
I hand launch with my right hand, so I need time to get back to the Tx.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:36 AM
Firepower
Joined Mar 2010
3,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I hand launch with my right hand, so I need time to get back to the Tx.
Same here I hand launch with right hand but my left thumb pulls a bit of up in. I can adjust it as necessary with the thumb.

After launch you get your hand back to do the ailerons left and right which is not as critical as the elevator. If the plane is trimmed right and facing directly into the wind it should go pretty straight. If it is the maiden flight it may pay to get someone else to throw it but if experienced at throwing it is not a problem.

I am Mode 1 (throttle on right) so it is probably a problem if flying Mode 2.
Last edited by Firepower; Nov 20, 2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:27 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,771 Posts
The trick in Mode 2 is to throw the plane up hard and as high as you can before she starts swooping down, quickly get some elevator on her. Works like a charm for me.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69