HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:00 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
No, I still love my brand new AXN. Even that I have not flown it but its the same as my first plane at which I'm a pro at flying.
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 04:09 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss34 View Post
No, I still love my brand new AXN. Even that I have not flown it but its the same as my first plane at which I'm a pro at flying.
If its setup correctly, it floats like a baby and screams like a whor_.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:23 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
prop saver

As I'm using a collet type prop adaptor can I unscrew the two little screws on the property saver as they are not needed.

Also any advise on balancing the prop if even needed. Thanks
dunc1055 is offline Find More Posts by dunc1055
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:24 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,331 Posts
If you can get the prop saver off then take it off. I couldn't.

For balancing a prop I use a Great Planes prop balance.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:37 AM
Just thumbing through...
victapilot's Avatar
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc1055 View Post
As I'm using a collet type prop adaptor can I unscrew the two little screws on the property saver as they are not needed.
I don't have that motor, but I think someone said those two screws also serve to hold the bell of the motor in place. Might be possible to replace them with set screws.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:55 AM
Flying Zayin
Cathay Stray's Avatar
China, Guangdong, Guangzhou
Joined May 2012
955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc1055 View Post
balancing the prop if even needed.
For fun and education purposes, maybe. Otherwise absolutely no need to even think about it. This bird uses small lightweight props (by the way, I began with throwing out the stock 5" and replacing it with 6*5, the change was dramatic); balancing such small props is of course sort of praiseworthy perfectionism but practically hardly ever needed.
My AXN one Saturday managed to both swim in a pond and hang on a tree, then continued ineventfully flying next day morning till dusk and it wasn't until next weekend that I noticed one side of the prop was about 3-4 mm shorter than another (tree, yesssss!) - I replaced the prop, checked the motor and forgot about it till you reminded me!

This is NOT to say that we may be so stupidly negligent as I was. But if we accidentally are, the AXN will very probably keep on forgiving us for time long enough to notice the problem.
Modern plastic props, even those proudly made in China, are pretty symmetrical and unless you're flying a 3d competition on a 2.5 m airplane it's probably not worth bothering.

Many might disagree but I haven't heard of a single trouble with planes of AXN size caused by prop dis-balance.
Cathay Stray is online now Find More Posts by Cathay Stray
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:15 AM
Registered User
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathay Stray View Post
For fun and education purposes, maybe. Otherwise absolutely no need to even think about it. This bird uses small lightweight props (by the way, I began with throwing out the stock 5" and replacing it with 6*5, the change was dramatic); balancing such small props is of course sort of praiseworthy perfectionism but practically hardly ever needed.
My AXN one Saturday managed to both swim in a pond and hang on a tree, then continued ineventfully flying next day morning till dusk and it wasn't until next weekend that I noticed one side of the prop was about 3-4 mm shorter than another (tree, yesssss!) - I replaced the prop, checked the motor and forgot about it till you reminded me!

This is NOT to say that we may be so stupidly negligent as I was. But if we accidentally are, the AXN will very probably keep on forgiving us for time long enough to notice the problem.
Modern plastic props, even those proudly made in China, are pretty symmetrical and unless you're flying a 3d competition on a 2.5 m airplane it's probably not worth bothering.

Many might disagree but I haven't heard of a single trouble with planes of AXN size caused by prop dis-balance.
I thought the real reason to balance a prop on this plane is to eliminate vibration, thereby reducing the noise produced.....so basically it's just a procedure to reduce the noise of the prop in the air.

I guess reducing vibrations would also be beneficial to FPV flying too.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:25 AM
Just thumbing through...
victapilot's Avatar
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post
I thought the real reason to balance a prop on this plane is to eliminate vibration, thereby reducing the noise produced.....so basically it's just a procedure to reduce the noise of the prop in the air.

I guess reducing vibrations would also be beneficial to FPV flying too.
Yes, and I've got 1000rpm more from a balanced prop. But it depends on how bad it is to begin with. I got some 5x5's from R2 that were quite out of balance, but fixed with a little tape.

To fine tune I use a vibrometer app on my android. You can measure the vibration - always good to have data
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:12 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
sss34- I just read your old post where you say that it's often too windy to fly in England.

Although I now live in Oz, I spent my first 25 years in England and flew r/c gliders for about 10 of those years. I'd describe my skill level for the first couple of years (and now) as average.

I flew in all manner of winds, mostly slope soaring. I even flew in winds where it was hard to stand up! This was purely because I was quite literally ADDICTED to sloping rather than for any altruistic reasons. Yes I had a few crashes in the high winds but I also had (less severe) crashes in gentle winds.

What I found, was by stretching my abilities by NOT allowing the wind strength to limit my flying, I learnt a whole lot faster and my skill level rose until I could cope with just about anything and everything that could happen whilst flying (and this was before we had electric motors that could pull the plane out of a tight spot).

Unfortunately, once I emigrated to New Zealand, I was too busy trying to hold onto a new more demanding job so my r/c flying went out the window.

I never returned to the sport properly for 20 years and by then, my skill level had fallen back by a lot!

But I've kept going and once again things are improving.

So what I am trying to say is, don't let yourself be put off when it's blowing a bit. Even now I fly the AXN on days when other r/c mates are packing their gear up and going home. Whilst I DON'T recommend pushing yourself too hard, I would say SLOWLY push that envelope because your skill level and confidence will grow exponentially.

Oh and, enjoy England for me eh? Damn I miss that country!
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:00 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
mutha's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
<snip>
Oh and, enjoy England for me eh? Damn I miss that country!
Most people do miss it ... it's too windy, rainy and winging for most
(being Australian I am obligated to hang it on Pommies )

I did live in England for 2 years ...
I remember visiting the Isle of Skye and reading a book in the Tourist Shop. On the blurb of the book it said; "You haven't seen Skye until you have seen it's magnificence in the wind and rain". I saw Skye!!

Seriously - England (U.K.) is a beautiful place (so long as you are not poor living in a dead industrial town). And I can understand why people miss it. I would dearly like to go back some day.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:07 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,286 Posts
fpv maiden tomorrow (hopefully) need to configure the storm before actually maiden
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:38 AM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
fpv maiden tomorrow (hopefully) need to configure the storm before actually maiden

How did it go? Did you like the camera position? I like to see a lot of ground to see where I am going. My next camera will be on the nose but a small one.

Or is the FPV gear taking a while to configure.
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Nov 12, 2012 at 02:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:05 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
How did it go? Did you like the camera position? I like to see a lot of ground to see where I am going. My next camera will be on the nose but a small one.

Or is the FPV gear taking a while to configure.
when awesome, but my axn fly really bad these days hard to get it to fly straight, also have some issues with the plane always want to turn left with out stick input with or without throttle,

still trying to find the cog of the axn keep wanting to pitch up and dive cant really glide that well anymore, i might have a serious cae of tail warp or maybe my horizontal stabilizer is warped

waiting for my nylon hinge to arrive the epo hinge cant be trusted anymore

camera position moved to the nose as you said see as much ground as possible but maybe getting a pan tilt later on , I'll post a another picture with a new setup
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:47 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Pahang, Temerloh
Joined Nov 2011
2,286 Posts
added landing gear, flitetest style

Name: uploadfromtaptalk1352713508612.jpg
Views: 108
Size: 43.7 KB
Description:

Name: uploadfromtaptalk1352713525470.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 32.3 KB
Description:

Name: uploadfromtaptalk1352713537993.jpg
Views: 99
Size: 45.9 KB
Description:

vtx moved to the back
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1352713551543.jpg
Views: 82
Size: 37.1 KB
Description:

new camera placement
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1352713567125.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 40.9 KB
Description:
skellator is online now Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:17 AM
Firepower
Firepower's Avatar
North Brisbane, Australia
Joined Mar 2010
3,250 Posts
I have plastic hinges but have never used them on foam planes. Guess they work but I just use firer glass tape or Blenderm tape if I want a more invisible job. Guess I do not like spending time on hinges and just use tape but I use spray contact cement first so that it sticks good.

I see you have already used some tape on the ailerons but I usually do it the full length of the aileron and top and bottom.

http://products3.3m.com/catalog/au/e...er/output_html

The turning left bit could be a lot of things but I usually use opposite trim on the ailerons to fix this temporarily until I find the fault which you probably did. Can even be a warp in a wing. Also if a wheel is turned a bit I guess the extra drag on one side could help turn the plane.

With the plane pitching up and down that can be the tail plane at the wrong angle but also can be many other things.

With all the problems of my Floater falling out of the sky I now always make the c of g at the front of the wing spar cover and I'll have no problems.

A mate did a good job of a pan camera. He cut a hole in the middle of the canopy for a servo and glued it in. Most of the servo was under the canopy from memory. Then mounted/glued the camera on the servo arm.

Good to see your pictures as always get ideas from different installations.

I guess there was a reason to move the video TX.

Sounds like you'll get it going perfectly soon but a great start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
when awesome, but my axn fly really bad these days hard to get it to fly straight, also have some issues with the plane always want to turn left with out stick input with or without throttle,

still trying to find the cog of the axn keep wanting to pitch up and dive cant really glide that well anymore, i might have a serious cae of tail warp or maybe my horizontal stabilizer is warped

waiting for my nylon hinge to arrive the epo hinge cant be trusted anymore

camera position moved to the nose as you said see as much ground as possible but maybe getting a pan tilt later on , I'll post a another picture with a new setup
Firepower is online now Find More Posts by Firepower
Last edited by Firepower; Nov 12, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools