HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:27 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
I don't know... I broke my AXN a few tmes already, but the hxts are still working perfectly
Try crashing harder!!

The new HXT900's have carbon gears, and are back in stock!
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
G'day Dunc1055,

I remember when I started in this hobby with electrics. In fact is is not so long ago now. After flying control lines in my younger years I came across RC again a few years back and found it actually affordable! There were so many question I had and so much seemingly conflicting information. Everyone had an opinion or I just didn't get answers.

This forum - RC Groups is full of useful information. You just have to trawl through and use search engines both in the forum and the various Google flavours.

A few tips I would impart:

Flying: - You need a SIM to practice. You need someone with experience(good experience) to help with your beginning.

Batteries: - CHARGE: Generally don't charge beyond 1c - this is the capacity of the battery i.e. a 4000 Mah battery is 4Amps = 1C for it. A 2200Mah battery is 2.2Amps = 1C for it.
DISCHARGE: Discharge is rated in C which means you can nominally (very nominally) draw say **30 times the Capacity for a short period i.e. 2.2amps x 30 = ~ 66amps.(**what ever the C rating)

Flight Times: - Your first flights should be very short. Take off, circuit, land. Initially you are checking your CoG your flight trim and your ability to land etc.. Then you should have a battery checker of some type (there are heaps) a timer (often on the Tx or a phone timer etc..) Fly for 3 minutes and land check your battery - work out how much it has lost. Extend the time for your next fully charged battery etc. etc. The AXN should give you a good 15 minutes with gliding and a good 8 minutes with lots of throttle use only.

Overall take your time seek assistance at the field you fly at and be logical and practice safety and routine.

Have fun

Thank you for all your advice. I had a balsa ic engine trainer when i was 16 only flew it twice with an instructor. I bought the asn because i thought I could teach my self to fly as i have heard people do but I'm starting to think it's not the best way. I have inquired today about joining my local club as i will benefit from there knowledge and experience.

Can you recommend any sims that are not to much money?
dunc1055 is offline Find More Posts by dunc1055
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:58 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
ClearView is just great. I flew ClearView, Phoenix, RealFlight and one more (can't remember the name), and I find ClearView to be just good enough for practicing. When you get to aerobatics and 3D (but not with AXN ), that might change, but if I were to start over again, I'd take ClearView.

There are a lot of people saying FSM is also good enough, but it just won't work on my computer, so I can't make any comments about it.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:21 PM
Huntington Beach, CA
Joined Jan 2011
236 Posts
I agree, Clearview is a great value and works great. You do have to be careful which model you choose. Some have very realistic physics and some are not so good; you just have to try them out. I paid the nominal fee for the license (that switches on more aircraft and lets you play with more knobs). Clearview works well to polish some maneuvers with Helis and airplanes.
paul2pilot is offline Find More Posts by paul2pilot
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:21 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,888 Posts
Quote:
ClearView is just great. I flew ClearView, Phoenix, RealFlight and one more (can't remember the name), and I find ClearView to be just good enough for practicing. When you get to aerobatics and 3D (but not with AXN ), that might change, but if I were to start over again, I'd take ClearView.

There are a lot of people saying FSM is also good enough, but it just won't work on my computer, so I can't make any comments about it.

+1 clearview

Physics are not real good but sufficient. FMS is free and has ok physics but crap graphics. You need an RC controller with USB plug and it needs to be set up in your Pc for either FMS or Clesrview.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:42 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Actually, I find none of the sims give the realistic feeling, especially when you are a beginner. Nothing can account for the heart bumping and palms sweating when you get the real plane into the air. Or when you have a close miss with that rude hotliner. Or when a jogger crosses the runway just seconds before your first landing attempt. Or when that tree jumps in front of your plane, trying to grab it.

I guess my "real life" performance is still only at about 30% of my performance in any simulator.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:50 AM
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Quote:

I think I'm going to purchase clear view, I have the clear view android plane simulater on my phone which I use alot and can now land the trainer every time it's has really helped with my orientation but it's on a very small screen and the control sticks are on the touch screen.

My question is? Is it best to use my own ds6i and buy a usb lead for it, on the website it says the Jr lead works with all spektrum tx's. All the links are for sites in America. Or is it better just best to buy a usb tx.

Thanks
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:02 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
G'day Dunc1055,

I remember when I started in this hobby with electrics. In fact is is not so long ago now. After flying control lines in my younger years I came across RC again a few years back and found it actually affordable! There were so many question I had and so much seemingly conflicting information. Everyone had an opinion or I just didn't get answers.

This forum - RC Groups is full of useful information. You just have to trawl through and use search engines both in the forum and the various Google flavours.

A few tips I would impart:

Flying: - You need a SIM to practice. You need someone with experience(good experience) to help with your beginning.

Batteries: - CHARGE: Generally don't charge beyond 1c - this is the capacity of the battery i.e. a 4000 Mah battery is 4Amps = 1C for it. A 2200Mah battery is 2.2Amps = 1C for it.
DISCHARGE: Discharge is rated in C which means you can nominally (very nominally) draw say **30 times the Capacity for a short period i.e. 2.2amps x 30 = ~ 66amps.(**what ever the C rating)

Flight Times: - Your first flights should be very short. Take off, circuit, land. Initially you are checking your CoG your flight trim and your ability to land etc.. Then you should have a battery checker of some type (there are heaps) a timer (often on the Tx or a phone timer etc..) Fly for 3 minutes and land check your battery - work out how much it has lost. Extend the time for your next fully charged battery etc. etc. The AXN should give you a good 15 minutes with gliding and a good 8 minutes with lots of throttle use only.

Overall take your time seek assistance at the field you fly at and be logical and practice safety and routine.

Have fun

This is all great advice and stuff you should really pay attention to as a beginner.

I'm new into this hobby myself this year and haven't had the luxury of anyone to help me out (other than on the internets) and I would add to this list be patient - this isn't the easiest of hobbies to get into, take your time and do things in baby steps, moving too fast inevitably ends in crashing and that ends up costly.

I'd also add a note about Lipo storage. When you're not gonna be using your batteries for any length of time use a storage programme on your charger or if you've only got a cheapy charger then run your batteries down to around 3.8v per cell, this will help with longevity.

Flight Sims - Phoenix is the one I use the most, it's a nice polished "game" that's quite relaxing to play, the physics are just plain bad, it WILL help you learn the basics but don't expect it to be too close to real life. Clearview in my opinion has really good physics, I have real life experience of flying the Honey Bee Fixed Pitch helicopter as it was my first hobby grade heli and flying this heli on Clearview feels exactly the same, essentially it's a naff heli with a poor gyro that can't keep up, this is replicated incredibly well in Clearview but again don't expect to simply go out and fly the real life counterpart and it handle exactly the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc1055
My question is? Is it best to use my own ds6i and buy a usb lead for it, on the website it says the Jr lead works with all spektrum tx's. All the links are for sites in America. Or is it better just best to buy a usb tx.
I bought a JR compatible USB cable from china before purchasing any sims, used this with my DX5 and DX6i controllers with various sims and it works perfectly well even if the build quality is a bit cheap. If you get Phoenix you'll get a cable with it, pass on what you get with ClearView as I've only ever played the demo.
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Last edited by ColSonders; Nov 07, 2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:14 AM
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post
This is all great advice and stuff you should really pay attention to as a beginner.

I'm new into this hobby myself this year and haven't had the luxury of anyone to help me out (other than on the internets) and I would add to this list be patient - this isn't the easiest of hobbies to get into, take your time and do things in baby steps, moving too fast inevitably ends in crashing and that ends up costly.

I'd also add a note about Lipo storage. When you're not gonna be using your batteries for any length of time use a storage programme on your charger or if you've only got a cheapy charger then run your batteries down to around 3.8v per cell, this will help with longevity.

Flight Sims - Phoenix is the one I use the most, it's a nice polished "game" that's quite relaxing to play, the physics are just plain bad, it WILL help you learn the basics but don't expect it to be too close to real life. Clearview in my opinion has really good physics, I have real life experience of flying the Honey Bee Fixed Pitch helicopter as it was my first hobby grade heli and flying this heli on Clearview feels exactly the same, essentially it's a naff heli with a poor gyro that can't keep up, this is replicated incredibly well in Clearview but again don't expect to simply go out and fly the real life counterpart and it handle exactly the same way.

Thanks more good advice I'm glad I stumbled across forum everyone is so helpful.

I have an Accucell 6 yes it has a storage mode so i can do that.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
hi.
I would like to put a carbon fibre 4mm rod into the carbon rod that comes with the wings, along with putting some 3mm carbon fibre into the elevator. And also I need a rod for the control surfaces.
Can I have some help please, with the sizing, installing and where to get it from because it's so expensive in the UK. But! in hobbyking the carbon it self is $4 along with $26 delivery!.
Thanks
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:59 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Hi, have you tried checking giantcod (now giantshark)?

btw, why do you think you need these reinforcements? esp 3mm on elev seem much to me.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:43 PM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,304 Posts
I carbon fibered the tail, elevator, front area, ailerons, fin, the fuselage and main wing. Either 5mm or 3mm depending on thickness of the foam.

Also laminated all the above. I'm using 650 watt 4s motor battery combination hence the need for additional strength. Have about 1.2 kg from thrust on a 6x5 propeller. 2200kv motor.
hendrnk is offline Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Jun 2012
77 Posts
I dont like the elevator foam at all, especially when I fly very hard with the ele (e.g. 5 very tight loop the loop in a rod and sudden changed in the attitude).
I cant find any carbon in giatshark
sss34 is offline Find More Posts by sss34
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:03 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,395 Posts
Quote:
btw, why do you think you need these reinforcements? esp 3mm on elev seem much to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I carbon fibered the tail, elevator, front area, ailerons, fin, the fuselage and main wing. Either 5mm or 3mm depending on thickness of the foam.

Also laminated all the above. I'm using 650 watt 4s motor battery combination hence the need for additional strength. Have about 1.2 kg from thrust on a 6x5 propeller. 2200kv motor.
I have a carbon rod, about 3mm on the horizontal stabilizer, as well as fiber tape. Use to prevent elevator flutter as high speed. Probably not needed on stock plane.
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Nov 07, 2012, 02:47 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss34 View Post
I dont like the elevator foam at all, especially when I fly very hard with the ele (e.g. 5 very tight loop the loop in a rod and sudden changed in the attitude).
I cant find any carbon in giatshark
Sounds like you need to get a rare bear or some other plane like it. The old AXN isnt made for that sort of flight.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha