HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:14 AM
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
I use an APC 6X4 and it's no quieter I'm afraid.
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:54 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2pilot View Post
The only gripe so far is the noise level from the prop at higher than 50% power settings. I have read some have had success using a 6 x 4 prop to quiet it down a bit. .
You can quiet quite a bit a propeller balancing it properly
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:20 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,953 Posts
Quote:
The only gripe so far is the noise level from the prop at higher than 50% power settings. I have read some have had success using a 6 x 4 prop to quiet it down a bit.
The noise is most often a lack of balance. Don't argue .. just ... balance the prop. I flew one with a 6x4 prop that didn't seem to make the plane vibrate in my hand so I thought it was reasonably balanced. I was using a colet not a propsaver. Flew it really noisy for months and one day a mate said why don't you balance the prop. I said it is OK ... he bet me it wasn't and convnced me to put on a prop he had (6x4 APC that was definitely balanced). I lost the bet but the plane was beautifully quiet (comparatively) and had more thrust.
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:42 AM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,430 Posts
3 blade prop on a collet is quieter.

Also running on 2 cells with a bigger prop might work.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:12 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanz View Post
The 'wife' analogy certainly sounds about right. Having gone through a divorce I know first hand that there are far better models out there. But then again, it could just as easily be the same for so many things; cars, TV's, other electrical equipment etc.

Having owned about 25 -30 different cars over many years, I gradually discovered what I would call 'crap' manufacturers and after that, avoided cars by that maker like the plague.

I also found cars that, for me, were well made, reliable and value for money. I'm not going to name any of those car manufacturers as it'll start a bun fight. But I've now had the same car(1991 model) for 12 years and it's never let me down, despite infrequent servicing. It still turns heads, has lots of go and gets me from A to B in comfort.

If one day, for whatever reason, this car finally died and couldn't be fixed I'd seriously look at getting another of these rather than try my luck at another make that I know little about.

So it is with my AXN.

I have about 7 or 8 other planes that I take to the flying field 9not all at the same time) so one weekend I'll take a warbird, another glider and my AXN, then the next weekend, a bipe, my ST360 and my AXN.

So often I come back home having had a less than joyful Sundays flying because, either the wind was too strong or too gusty, I had some hard 'landings' (we'll not call 'em 'crashes' eh?) or I just wasn't on song after a hard week.

But on virtually every occasion, as soon as I put my AXN up, it was back to full enjoyment.

So, for ME, the AXN is just about perfect, reliable and forgiving- just like my car. That doesn't mean it'll be so for everyone, just as my car wouldn't be the same for everyone. Each to his or her own.

Of course I'm always trying to squeeze a bit more out of my AXN and have tried different motors, pretty much without much improvement in performance. So with this, my third AXN I'm sticking with the stock motor.

However, I would like to improve the roll rate.

I cut the wing tips off my first AXN and really loved the improved roll rate and general flying abilities so will be doing the same with this one.

But I'm wondering whether I could also improve things by extending the ailerons both outwardly (towards the tips) and inwardly towards the fuse.

Has anyone got any idea's on whether this would improve things? Would there be any down sides?

Once again, I'm not trying to turn the AXN into a hotliner. I'm just trying to polish it up a bit.

Oh- and finally, just like I always keep an eye on the latest planes available on HobbyKing etc, and regularly appreciate the lines of a new model, so I still admire the lines of new cars or women I see. Doesn't mean I'm going to grab one though. No sirree, especially as my lady sometimes reads my posts on the AXN. Eek!.
--------------------------------------
Just look don't touch - seems to apply to planes also these days... I shouldn't jinx myself so badly, but I have to say, I can't crash my planes up properly, and I need to throw one away before getting another one...NO SPACE...

But would be interested to know what car you have that you are so pleased with, will certainly not argue with you about it.
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:48 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
My wife indicated she might want to try flying an RC plane (yippee). So, I immediately bought one of these, went to Home Depot and bought some pink duct tape and lined the belly and put some pink stripes on the underside of the wings. She love the way it looks ("it's so cute"). So far, this seems like a great little plane to serve as a trainer. The only gripe so far is the noise level from the prop at higher than 50% power settings. I have read some have had success using a 6 x 4 prop to quiet it down a bit. Anybody find a similar size prop with a thicker cord (i.e. a paddle prop) that is not quite as loud. I'm OK if it does not produce as much thrust. Thanks guys.
Ah but the noise from the motor and prop makes the AXN what it is. At 70+ mph with the motor screaming it turns head. This plane may look like a Easy Star or Bixler but the flight envelope is quite different.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
Cubber1

It's way off topic but on this ONE and only occasion I'll chance my luck in the hope that nobody complains this is not about AXN's

OK, I'll take a risk and let you know it's a 1991 Toyota Soarer (also known as a Lexus SC 430 in America). Over here in Oz (where cars are pretty expensive) they were never available new but were brought in (used) as grey imports starting about 13 years ago. Originally these luxury cars were sold new for about $90,000 AU in Japan but when I bought mine 12 years ago, I paid $15,000.

Having had all manner of cars including a few BMW's, the Soarer leaves them all standing (in quality and to a degree, in performance).

But here's the kicker- NOW, over here, you can pick a good one up for $2000 -$3000 and know it'll still have years left in it.

Just out of sheer interest, try googling it and you'll see a great shape and specs.

OK, Back to the AXN- Has anyone got any advice on my idea about extending the ailerons?
Beanz is offline Find More Posts by Beanz
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:04 AM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Cubber1

It's way off topic but on this ONE and only occasion I'll chance my luck in the hope that nobody complains this is not about AXN's

OK, I'll take a risk and let you know it's a 1991 Toyota Soarer (also known as a Lexus SC 430 in America). Over here in Oz (where cars are pretty expensive) they were never available new but were brought in (used) as grey imports starting about 13 years ago. Originally these luxury cars were sold new for about $90,000 AU in Japan but when I bought mine 12 years ago, I paid $15,000.

Having had all manner of cars including a few BMW's, the Soarer leaves them all standing (in quality and to a degree, in performance).

But here's the kicker- NOW, over here, you can pick a good one up for $2000 -$3000 and know it'll still have years left in it.

Just out of sheer interest, try googling it and you'll see a great shape and specs.

OK, Back to the AXN- Has anyone got any advice on my idea about extending the ailerons?
There are youtube videos of AXNs with the ailerons extended. The chord length was increased by fastening something onto the existing surface. Balsa, foam, whatever.

Here's one and if you look at the guy's videos you can see it in flight but this video is just what it looks like.

AXN Floater Jet modified (0 min 49 sec)

Question though:
I've seen videos of others with a decent roll rate that was achieved by greater aileron travel. Why not do that? Seems easier.
How much aileron travel do you get now?

http://beta.ivc.no/wiki/index.php/AXN_Clouds_Fly
js32257 is offline Find More Posts by js32257
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:41 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Årstad
Joined May 2009
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Cubber1

---------------------
Why do you want to extend them ? I know they are not too efficient, but the rudder on the other hand is very efficient. So my advice if you want quicker reactions from your axn, is to either mix in rudder to the aileron channel, or just use the rudder instead of aileron.

My guess is that if you want efficient ailerons you'll be better off flattening the wing instead of extending the ailerons.

Anyway, off topic - interesting choice of car, probably hardly available in Norway, but toyota has a great reputation here. I'll try not to derail the CF-thread, so no more cartalk
Cubber1 is offline Find More Posts by Cubber1
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:50 PM
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Wing inserts

Hey guys Im going to put my axn together so i can remove wings for transport, I realise that i need to glue the wing inserts in that hold the spar. My question is whats the best thing to do with the servo lead, do i leave it in place and if the servo ever fails try pry out the insert or put the lead on the outside. I dont want to compromise structural integrity.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
dunc1055 is offline Find More Posts by dunc1055
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunc1055 View Post
Hey guys Im going to put my axn together so i can remove wings for transport, I realise that i need to glue the wing inserts in that hold the spar. My question is whats the best thing to do with the servo lead, do i leave it in place and if the servo ever fails try pry out the insert or put the lead on the outside. I dont want to compromise structural integrity.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
You are probably worrying about it too much.
Yes glue the spar covers.
Run the servo lead where it should go.
You can either glue one end of the spar into one wing or not ... plan for a wing holding mechanism after you have flown it a bit (the wing is nice and tight for the first dozen flights when removing it each time) . Lots of good ideas earlier in this thread for wing holding mechanisims.
If the servo fails it is not hard to remove th wire and servo ... it is foam it has no structural intergity
Do a nice job of puting it together and and then ... fly it ... worry about failures and structural integrity when and if they occur.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:47 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
I have a lot of flights on my AXN and had no failures of any kind with the servos or electronics. However I always pull the servo leads out of the spar slots. I make a small groove along the wing and tape the wire into it. The only failure I have had so far is when the motor mount broke loose at around the 40th flight. My wings are very loose so i put velcro on the 2 wing stops inside the fuselage and on the wing. I fly my AXN vigorously and the velcro as small as it is has held. I just got a second AXN and on this one I installed round magnets on the end of the wings to hold them together.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Nov 05, 2012, 05:58 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Still Undecided

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice and perhaps suggestions.

I've not actually flown this type of plane (or any plane) in real life yet, though have clocked a few hours on Phoenix simulator with the Multiplex Easystar with aileron mod. I find it quite relaxing and am looking to pick up a pusher/floater.

I've got a Hobbyking Mini Atom packed away for christmas to give me a taste and provided I don't dislike the experience I'll be looking at picking up something bigger in the Spring.

Currently i've been considering the AXN (which i'm leaning towards) the EZ2 and the Bixlers.

I do absolutely want Ailerons after trying the Easystar on the simulator, but I don't really want to have to do much, if any modding.

I plan on flying both line of sight and FPV (close/mid range) and want something fun to fly out of the box.

Looking at the PNF versions seems to narrow it down to the Bixlers and the AXN, the AXN from what i've heard is the better plane with it's stock parts, not requiring any modding. Are there any other options out there available for a similar price in the UK? Are the Bixlers perhaps better for my needs?
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:25 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post
Hi guys,

I'm looking for some advice and perhaps suggestions.

I've not actually flown this type of plane (or any plane) in real life yet, though have clocked a few hours on Phoenix simulator with the Multiplex Easystar with aileron mod. I find it quite relaxing and am looking to pick up a pusher/floater.

I've got a Hobbyking Mini Atom packed away for christmas to give me a taste and provided I don't dislike the experience I'll be looking at picking up something bigger in the Spring.

Currently i've been considering the AXN (which i'm leaning towards) the EZ2 and the Bixlers.

I do absolutely want Ailerons after trying the Easystar on the simulator, but I don't really want to have to do much, if any modding.

I plan on flying both line of sight and FPV (close/mid range) and want something fun to fly out of the box.

Looking at the PNF versions seems to narrow it down to the Bixlers and the AXN, the AXN from what i've heard is the better plane with it's stock parts, not requiring any modding. Are there any other options out there available for a similar price in the UK? Are the Bixlers perhaps better for my needs?
Both Bixler and AXN are great planes .. The atom will teach you how to fly RC for real and then it is just a mater of what you want to do ... each of the 2 you have mentioned fly differently. If you are looking for a steady FPV platform perhaps the Bixler but if you want fly without any mods then the AXN ... some say the Bixler flies better ... I don't think it is that much better and it is not as quick as the AXN. ... eventually you will have to mod or repair so I suggest you just take a plunge based on what you think at the time.

Don't forget to get help with your first few flights have fun
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:29 AM
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
You are probably worrying about it too much.
Yes glue the spar covers.
Run the servo lead where it should go.
You can either glue one end of the spar into one wing or not ... plan for a wing holding mechanism after you have flown it a bit (the wing is nice and tight for the first dozen flights when removing it each time) . Lots of good ideas earlier in this thread for wing holding mechanisims.
If the servo fails it is not hard to remove th wire and servo ... it is foam it has no structural intergity
Do a nice job of puting it together and and then ... fly it ... worry about failures and structural integrity when and if they occur.
Yes I have been worrying about it to much to the point I did not finish building it this wknd. Im going to glue them in and use velcro to fastening the wings I think. Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
I have a lot of flights on my AXN and had no failures of any kind with the servos or electronics. However I always pull the servo leads out of the spar slots. I make a small groove along the wing and tape the wire into it. The only failure I have had so far is when the motor mount broke loose at around the 40th flight. My wings are very loose so i put velcro on the 2 wing stops inside the fuselage and on the wing. I fly my AXN vigorously and the velcro as small as it is has held. I just got a second AXN and on this one I installed round magnets on the end of the wings to hold them together.

That is a good idea I may do that all though i have got hxt900 servos and i have heard they are very reliable.
dunc1055 is offline Find More Posts by dunc1055