Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:50 AM
United Kingdom, England, Consett
Joined Feb 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skellator View Post
not anymore with this i guess?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=24656

as for me I'm happy with 9x + frsky, i most probarly getting RMILEC LRS next month for my 9x
Apologies I hadn't actually looked at the spec and assumed it was just DSM2 rather than full blown DSMX.

That's aweome, I could probably sell my DX6i, buy the X9 and the DSM2/DSMX module for it and have change left over!
ColSonders is offline Find More Posts by ColSonders
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:51 AM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
I am jumping in a little late and I didn't see this mentioned but a lot of folks use an old PC power supply to power their charger.
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:42 PM
Argue for your limitations
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer291113 View Post
I am jumping in a little late and I didn't see this mentioned but a lot of folks use an old PC power supply to power their charger.
Unfortunately, it is not that simple. That is like saying you can get to work a lot faster if you run the red lights. (i.e. there are many dangers present when doing that conversion that can be lethal).
AJ
ajbaker is offline Find More Posts by ajbaker
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:48 PM
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sss34 View Post
I did glue the wings but I glued the carbon fibre rod into the right wing. I use velco to attach the wings before flight so the wings are removable.
Thanks a picture would be very help full. what did you do with the foam insert that sits over the rod and servo wire on each side did you glue or tape in?
dunc1055 is offline Find More Posts by dunc1055
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by js32257 View Post
Read my post again to get into programming mode.
When you are in programming mode there are 5 things you can change.
Brake, timing, etc.

If you are chaning the setting for brake (while it beeps 5 times one beep at a time slowly)....
You set the throttle stick to the low position to select no brake, medium position to select soft brake, high position to set hard brake. You have about 10 seconds to pick the right thing. Keep the stick in the right place until you get the next set of beeps...

Then it will go to "beep beep" 5 times in a row. Now you're setting timing. If you put the stick low you have low motor timing...

Make more sense?

During this stage of "beep" 5x then "beep beep" 5x then "beep beep beep" 5x... the motor will not spin.
At least it's not supposed to. I would keep fingers away and the prop off while you are doing the settings.

In case you were asking what brake does:
It stops the prop if you have the throttle off instead of letting it spin down. If you set the brake to hard the motor will stop instantly in kind of a violent way. If you have it set to soft it will ease in to braking the motor. If you have it set to off then the motor will slow down and probably never stop if the plane is moving because air is rushing through the blades of the prop and will keep the prop spinning like a pinwheel which will increase drag on the plane while gliding.

Re: your last question:
Glue those strips into the bottom of the wings. Don't glue the wings into the fuselage. Don't glue the rod into the wings (or maybe just glue it to one wing).
You can snap it all together like a puzzle. The simplest way is to use tape to keep the wings from unlocking. The wings are actually designed to be snapped together w/o glue. It'll work. The question is for how long before it undoes itself since the foam will rub and wear and then you'll have sloppy puzzle pieces.

Thank you i understand it much better now i will understand it even more when i put it into practice. I take it its best to just have a low brake set, so the motor does brake but nice and soft? Also the motor timing setting how does this affect things will different motors require different timings to function correctly?

Thanks for the advice on the wings i think i will fully glue one side and then i can slot the other in i have ordered a big roll of fiber tape. If i ever have to replace a servo is it difficult with the inserts glued in as it looks like the cover the aileron servo wires? or can you slide the wire out?

Thanks
dunc1055 is offline Find More Posts by dunc1055
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:34 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
658 Posts
brake is usually on or off, I don't know an esc with a soft brake. I set it to on, I read somewhere that would reduce the drag of a prop when gliding compared to the brake off setting, but I don't know whether that is true or not.
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:41 PM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
brake is usually on or off, I don't know an esc with a soft brake. I set it to on, I read somewhere that would reduce the drag of a prop when gliding compared to the brake off setting, but I don't know whether that is true or not.
Is true..

If brake is off the prop will freewheel and spin and creates drag... way more drag than stoped..
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi
Old Oct 31, 2012, 04:52 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_clive View Post
The Turnigy 45A has soft, hard, very hard settings. End result is same, but for folding prop, hard is best for me. Soft might be good for this axn.
victapilot is offline Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:07 PM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
milliamps per foot -

Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
The Turnigy 45A has soft, hard, very hard settings. End result is same, but for folding prop, hard is best for me. Soft might be good for this axn.
I agree with all of the above. But, there is one thing that I have never worked out. When you use brake, there is less overall drag. That is the easy part. There is a cost in amps(milli) to hold the prop from spinning. Therefore, if I set the brake on, will there be more or less flying time compared to the prop that is freewheeling in the wind with no current draw (technically, the motor becomes a generator-disregard for this perponderance)? The drag is greater and the plane will not glide as far. I am sure some tech head has the exact answer for this one. Hmmmm...
AJ
Old Oct 31, 2012, 05:58 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
I agree with all of the above. But, there is one thing that I have never worked out. When you use brake, there is less overall drag. That is the easy part. There is a cost in amps(milli) to hold the prop from spinning. Therefore, if I set the brake on, will there be more or less flying time compared to the prop that is freewheeling in the wind with no current draw (technically, the motor becomes a generator-disregard for this perponderance)? The drag is greater and the plane will not glide as far. I am sure some tech head has the exact answer for this one. Hmmmm...
AJ
You are right, it does take power to stop the prop, but I would have to guess on the trade off question.

Some years ago I burned up an ESC by applying brake in a steep dive. Smoked it!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:19 PM
Heli and E-Plane
United States, FL, Ocala
Joined Nov 2010
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbaker View Post
Unfortunately, it is not that simple. That is like saying you can get to work a lot faster if you run the red lights. (i.e. there are many dangers present when doing that conversion that can be lethal).
AJ
????

I've modified at least 6 PSU's and it's quite simple. There are some very good how-to's and video's on the net.
jer291113 is offline Find More Posts by jer291113
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:39 PM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,949 Posts
Dumb Question

does a folding prop still tend to rotate if it doesn't have a brake on??
mutha is offline Find More Posts by mutha
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:43 PM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutha View Post
does a folding prop still tend to rotate if it doesn't have a brake on??
Without brake it continues to spin. Maybe some exceptions, but when the brake slams on the wind folds the prop.

In fact the ESC that I burned was on a sailplane with folding prop. Even in a dive ithe prop spun with blades out.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:28 PM
Joined Dec 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSonders View Post
Apologies I hadn't actually looked at the spec and assumed it was just DSM2 rather than full blown DSMX.

That's aweome, I could probably sell my DX6i, buy the X9 and the DSM2/DSMX module for it and have change left over!
Is it really dsmx?
All the photos of the TX say DSM2 and if you read the text it says, "Simply replace your stock module with this and you are ready to bind to any DSMX/DSM2 receiver."

A DSMX receiver works with a DSM2 TX.

I'm not saying it's not DSMX but it could be marketing speak.

I find it unusual they have a DSMX tx now but I've never seen a DSMX orange RX.
js32257 is offline Find More Posts by js32257
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:16 AM
Lincoln, CA
Joined Oct 2006
8,422 Posts
Turn my prop

Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Without brake it continues to spin. Maybe some exceptions, but when the brake slams on the wind folds the prop.

In fact the ESC that I burned was on a sailplane with folding prop. Even in a dive ithe prop spun with blades out.
On a pusher, I can see that. On my Radian, the blades fold whether I have the brake on or not. But, maybe that is just because of the Park motor that it comes with. I don't have enough test samples to make an "in general" conclusion.
AJ